Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ddmaee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2008, 02:34 PM
    how can I get my quadro
    When I was divorced the judge ordered a quadro for me to recive a portion of my Xs retirement. I just found out it was never done. Can this be something I ca proceed with myself ond if not how can I find a lawyer that I can afford? Can I also make my x pay for it since he maks about 5x what I do? I live in northern ca. thank you
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2009, 10:46 PM

You need to locate someone who prepares QDROs. They usually cost about $500 for one to be done. You can look online or ask around. Some lawyers do them or an actuary.

Better get it done fast. If your ex were to pass away you could lose ALL of your rights to your share of your ex's pension, in spite of what your divorce decree says. Without a QDRO in place you are not protected. You should NEVER allow a divorce decree to be entered unless a QDRO or interim QDRO is in place at the same time if you have pension rights.
    misguided67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 11, 2012, 08:57 PM
    My divorce was final in January 2012. I was granted a lump sum of my ex's 401k... It took almost 10 weeks for his attorny to return a quadro. Almost held the sob in contempt... finally get it today and if I'm reading it right, I can't get the money until my ex is either 50 or of retirement age or separates his employment from his current employer. I don't think I should sign this. He left me with debt I need to pay off with this money. What do I do? I have an attorney, I don't think he even read the misprinted document.

Please advise
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 12, 2012, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by misguided67 View Post
    ... if I'm reading it right, I can't get the money til my ex is either 50 or of retirement age or seperates his employment from his current employer. I don't think I should sign this. ...
    That's the way QDROs work: they pertain to retirement plans. If you don't think his lawyer did it right, ask him to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by misguided67 View Post
    ... What do I do? I have an attorney, I don't think he even read the misprinted document.
    It's not misprinted. It's written, apparently, the way it should be written. But have your attorney look at it again to be sure and, if your attorney agrees with you, have your attorney send it back to be corrected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing A Quadro [ 6 Answers ]

How is this done. Can I do it myself. It has already been ordered but his or my attorney never followed through... desperate

Divorce quadro [ 3 Answers ]

Whaet are the steps &appox.length of time to process it

View more questions Search