Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cece906 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
    Property Owner Dies
    I recently found a house in which the city took possession because the property owners died and had no heirs. The city states they want to auction it off for back taxes because others have inquired about it. I want to know if I can legally pay the taxes before the auction and take possession of the property?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2012, 08:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cece906 View Post
    I recently found a house in which the city took possession because the property owners died and had no heirs. The city states they want to auction it off for back taxes because others have inquired about it. I want to know if I can legally pay the taxes before the auction and take possession of the property?
    No... it has to go to auction and then go to the high bidder...
    Cece906 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 5, 2012, 08:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    No.....it has to go to auction and then go to the high bidder....
    I asked the City Attorney if they are "required" to auction it off- he said no. So why does it have to go to auction?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 5, 2012, 08:58 PM
    I asked the City Attorney if they are "required" to auction it off- he said no. So why does it have to go to auction?
    Because they City is legally required to do what's in its best interest and the best interest of the community as a whole... not giving one person a special sweet deal... Trust me if my Town practically GAVE a house away to someone rather than auction it off... there would be a lot of lawsuits as that smacks of preferential treatment to the detriment of the taxpayers.

Now if you happen to be talking about Detroit... they can't even GIVE them away.

What city might this be and in what state... we could check on specific legal requirements.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 6, 2012, 04:41 AM
    ... the city took possession because the property owners died and had no heirs. ...
    No, the city probably didn't "take possession", it is taking steps to sell it. But the reason is not that there are no heirs. Maybe so; you don't know. The reason is that, for whatever reason, the taxes haven't been paid.

If there were no heirs, the state could obtain title through "eacheat" laws. But what has probably happened is that any heirs who are out there have not bothered to file a probate petition. Find them, and you might have a back-door way of obtaining title.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 6, 2012, 04:45 AM
    (escheat)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 6, 2012, 08:44 AM
    This does not sound right. Ask the City Attorney (ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.) to cite what laws would allow them to just sell a seized property?

Most governments have such laws to prevent corruption. Speculators or developers would then bribe officials to get sweetheart deals.

Also why would the city forego the profit they can make at an auction to give you a deal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 6, 2012, 09:57 AM
    This is the issue, the city did not "take possession" of it because the owner died. They took possession of it because of unpaid taxes.

If you paid the taxes due, it does not make the properly yours, it still belongs to the estate of the previous owner, and there is a heir somewhere, it may be a 4th cousin no one knows of, but there is one somewhere. So if you paid the taxes and moved in, it would not be yours at that point and someone could take it back from you for nothing.

The city could have course keep it and take ownership of it , if they had a reason to need it.

You will also want to check, there may be county taxes and other levies against the property.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 6, 2012, 11:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (escheat)
    Thanks. A typo. I assure you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What happens to owners home mortgage if owner dies? [ 5 Answers ]

My mother still owes money on her home. She has no will. She has 5 children and none of us can afford to pay the home off. What will happen if she passes away. Will we be responsible for paying the home mortgage off. We live in PA.

What happens to a lien on property when the owner dies? [ 5 Answers ]

My dad has a lien on his property for back child support in Texas. My dad passed away. What happens to the lien on his property?

Owner and Contact Information for Property Owner [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know who and how to reach the owners of property located at {address removed}. Thanks,

SC Private Property Accident Directed by Property owner personnel [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my question and some back ground information. I was on private property when there was a medical emergency in progress. There were no signs, no alert, and no sirens. I was not aware of the situation. A person in uniform was blocking the property's exit and starts directing me...

View more questions Search