Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nellywille2012 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 06:02 AM
    Husky puppy won't eat anything at all.
    I bought my husky puppy yesterday, and it has not taken a bite on any food yet, doesn't at all. Bought the best dog food , today I tried giving it milk but it just vomited the milk out a few minutes later.the puppy is around 8 weeks old by the way. What may be the problem. I am very worried. I know the husky dogs tend to be very active, but this one is passive and sleeping all the time.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 06:15 AM
    Has he been dewormed or had any vaccines? Any new puppy should be health checked by a vet within a day or two. I would say that your pup needs to go today.
    Any diarrhea?
    No more milk as it can cause stomach upset, you have already seen this and there is no need to add to his troubles.
    Good Luck and take him in ASAP
    cfrbuofs Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2012, 08:46 AM
    I had this happen to my husky puppy too. Turns out she had worms :( poor girl. We took care of It now she's active and happy!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 10:02 AM
    Sounds like you might be a first time owner, maybe. Your pup needs a series of shots right about now so call the vet for an appointment. Tell the vet when you call she is not eating, he likely will bring you right in. Not eating is not usually associated with worms. Could be even more serious so please make the call. Natural Worm Prevention and Treatment - Dog Health Report - Dog Care - Dog Health Problems Solved!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
    Vaccinations vary depending on age. Right now at 8 weeks he should have vaccs for distemper, measles, and parainfluenza; a vet check up now is most important. You will be asked to take a stool sample to check for worms.

At the time of the visit the vet will make you aware of the timeline in your pup's early months for all vaccinations.

Never forget that right now you are tending a baby with particular needs.

He is probably adjusting to his new surroundings.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2012, 10:37 AM
    Any 8 week old puppy that doesn't eat or drink is very sick. Please take him to the vet. Do NOT give him milk, only water. If he's not drinking either it is even more serious. If he is drinking, call the place that you got him and find out what they were feeding the puppy. Try him on that. You can also try to tempt him with some baby food (chicken and veggies). There are so many things that could be wrong it is important that he receives medical attention.

He could just be worn out from the change of homes especially if he's been handled a lot. However, there are a lot more serious things that could be wrong. He could have eaten something dangerous. He could be younger than you think and has been taken from his mother too early. More concerning is that he could have the beginning stages of parvo or distemper - EVEN if he has been vaccinated.

Please take puppy to the vet and let us know how he is doing.

I hope it's nothing serious and he is already back to normal little puppy behaviour today.

Hugs, Didi

Mar 10, 2012, 11:02 PM
    I took the puppy to the pet shop. Called the place I bought it from. They gave medication for the stomach (not sure what it was) , and advised to give the dog some chicken lever, but it still doesn't eat. I am sure it was very healthy and fat when I got it. I did the Vaccination right away, the first day, brought it home and it wouldn't eat at all. Only drinking and vomiting, has Diarrhea. This is really stressful, as I don't know where to find a proper veterinarian here in China and feel lost. If anyone could please ask a vet around your area, I would be greatly thankful. I am a foreigner, and a foreigner usually feels lost in China.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 10, 2012, 11:43 PM
    Vomiting and diarrhea are not good signs. Sometimes puppies get stressed-induced parvo or a bacteria that attacks the intestine and mimics parvo called Campylobacter.

With parvo, or even just a puppy with chronic diarrhea and vomiting.. keep her very well hydrated. Because you do not have access to a veterinarian, keeping your puppy hydrated is going to be very challanging. Give your puppy water with pedialyte in it or gateraid. Give her a drink every time you look at her...

As far as finding a good vet, I'm sure the bigger cities will have something available to you. You're going to have to call around, visit clinics and see if anyone can help you. Trying is better than nothing... Some of the diseases in China are well known by the locals... maybe talk to them and see if they know how to help you? It'd be worth a try.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 10, 2012, 11:52 PM
    Stress induced parvo? I've never heard of that. I trust you as you are a professional, but how does that happen?
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2012, 12:55 AM
    Stressed induced parvo is very common. Dogs that have sudden changes in their lives, such as leaving mom, become more susceptible to contracting the virus vs dogs that are not stressed. There is also rumor stating that certain breeds such as Rotties, Pits, Labs and Dobies are more suspetable to the virus than other breeds... but those are also very popular breeds, so who knows :)

I've actually witnessed the stress-induced parvo. Puppies will be fine at our rescue for months but once they leave, owners will write back stating their new puppy got parvo. We don't have parvo here.

There is also a theory stating that puppies that are allowed to grow up where they were whelped have a lower chance of getting parvo. Puppies that are taken away from mom early or are moved around all over the place are more likely to get parvo. I kind of believe this theory...

And of course, whether the parents had any vaccinations plays a huge role in how puppies get parvo. If the mother was never vaccinated or exposed to the virus, she never passed on any type of antibody to her puppies. Those puppies are very open to the virus and if stressed can get the virus and probably die from it.

Mar 11, 2012, 07:24 AM
    All right just heads up. I took the husky puppy to the veterinarian today, the vomiting had gone too serious that it was vomiting blood.Things had gone way serious, and if I had delayed one more day the puppy could have died. The vet did what she could and seems like the dog is sleeping in peace for now, but going to have to continue with the healing process for several days. Thanks everyone for the help. And I strongly advise that you don't rely on the "Left mum" part too much, as it may not be the reason every time, and DO NOT give your puppy milk, nothing but anything the breeder advises you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky098 View Post
    Stressed induced parvo is very common. Dogs that have sudden changes in their lives, such as leaving mom, become more suseptible to contracting the virus vs dogs that are not stressed. There is also rumor stating that certain breeds such as Rotties, Pits, Labs and Dobies are more suspetable to the virus than other breeds... but those are also very popular breeds, so who knows :)

I've actually witnessed the stress-induced parvo. Puppies will be fine at our rescue for months but once they leave, owners will write back stating their new puppy got parvo. We dont have parvo here.

There is also a theory stating that puppies that are allowed to grow up where they were whelped have a lower chance of getting parvo. Puppies that are taken away from mom early or are moved around all over the place are more likely to get parvo. I kind of believe this theory...

And of course, whether or not the parents had any vaccinations plays a huge role in how puppies get parvo. If the mother was never vaccinated or exposed to the virus, she never passed on any type of antibody to her puppies. Those puppies are very open to the virus and if stressed can get the virus and probably die from it.
    Very interesting, it makes good sense. Thanks for filling me in!
    Cats Expert

Mar 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Glad you got her to the vet and I hope she does well.

Good Luck

Mar 12, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Well things have got way to serious. My puppy is now vomiting blood and there is blood in it's runny stool. Puppy's Life is in risk. :(
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
    I am so sorry to hear this. It doesn't look good for the puppy. My heart is with you and the pup.

Hugs, Didi
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2012, 11:49 AM
    What's the vet saying for you to do?
    Pmayo30 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2012, 05:30 AM
    I have a 9 week old puppy who I got a week ago. She has tested positive for giardia. Her red blood count is low. She has anemia. She has been in the hospital since Friday. The doctor has done all tests possible. He can not find the problem. She has been on 3 different antibiotics. She will drink but will not eat anything. They have been force feeding her every 4 hours. He is almost ready to give up. I love her so much and want to help her. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Pam
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

May 1, 2012, 08:22 AM
    I am really sorry for yor situation, my heart goes out to you and your family. Have they been treating her for the Giardia? Where did you get your pup from? I would assume that the pup is on IV for fluids? I wish I had more to offfer. Maybe another member can come and shed some more light. Good luck! Please keep us posted.
    Cats Expert

May 1, 2012, 04:37 PM
    http://www.idexx.com/pubwebresources...uickcourse.pdf

Giardia

Here are a couple more sites with information on giardia, not too much reading, I promise.

Giardia will typically cause dehydration. Do you know what other testing has been done?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My husky won't drink or eat [ 2 Answers ]

My husky won't eat or drink she has gone to vet they said she had to go to bathroom. Gave her a kids fleet she went once and hasn't gone since. Slight fever sleeping all day. The vet also said she had a gas pockect ,but she is not getting any better.

My rescue husky won't eat her dog food [ 2 Answers ]

I recently rescued a 9 month old siberian husky.. and I can't get her to eat her dry dog food.. I called the shelter and picked up the same kind of food they gave her there.. I've tried putting chicken gravy made for dogs on it and she still turns her nose up... I know shell eat because she ate...

7 weeks old Siberian husky won't eat [ 6 Answers ]

My 7 weeks Siberian husky suddenly stopped eating food, it eats treats and drinks water, pee and poo outside as always I have had it for a week now its used to me and to the people in the house its always playing sleeping normal it just won't eat for some reason. I have been feeding it Blue buffalo...

Husky won't eat [ 2 Answers ]

We just got a dog Mon. from her previous owners, she got sick on the way here, had also just came in heat on that day, the next day she ate but got sick that night, since then she has been eating vey little. Is this normal? What can we do to get her to eat? She'a a Siberian Husky

My Husky will not eat! [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Husky who was diagnosed with Blastomycosis a few weeks ago. My vet put him on Intraconazole. After a few days, he started eating a little bit of beef, porkchops and chicken. After a few days his appetite became a little better and would eat a few bites several times a day. ...

View more questions Search