Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheryl93 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 12:47 PM
    My TV keeps turning on by itself why?
    My TV has been turning its self on for the past few months, now I got a new set on iPod speakers for my christmas and when my iPod is playing the music will turn up down and change song on its own, also when my TV turns its self on the volume is right down at 0 my TV is never on 0, this has not stopped since I took my batteries out my remote so I don't know how this is happing could someone help please
    Thank you
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Well its not a ghost...

Theey work on infrared signals... and something as simple as the sun or something that generates heat like a space heater pointed at it cuasing what you see.

Jan 3, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Thank u,but it can not be the sun because I have black curtains and they are always closed
    So I don't no about that.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 12:58 PM
    The last time I heard about this... someone had a remote get squeezed between the cushions on their couch.

You have something generating Infared signals (which are invisible) that is causing issues. A remote with a stuck button can do it... (until the batteries die)

Jan 3, 2012, 01:03 PM
    After a few times of this happin I took the batteries out my remote so it can not be a stuck button. Because there are no batteries there to turn it on (and I know infared signals are invisible)
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
    Its always the one you forget about being around... it can be a remote for a different device. Particularly as the batteries get weak...

Jan 3, 2012, 03:05 PM
    I don't think you are understanding me both my remotes have no batteries I took them all out a few weeks after it happened, I was thinking it was something to do with my TV that it might have a fault. But thank you for your help.
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 07:50 PM
    I got my degree in electronic Engineering 30 years ago... what I've trying to do is identify what you have in the area of the TV that might generate Infared that would interfere with both your TV and Ipod. There actually was someone here that had a remote they forgot about in the couch, that was causing them problems.

Problems with ONE item could be a fault or defect... but two different objects are never going to develop the same fault at the same time.
    superduper102 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 04:03 AM
    My tiv keeps doing this to, but a excactly 12:00am or at least 5 minutes past or so, and its really starting to creep me out, usually its on music TV or just static with like radio sound or something it keeps happening usually when nobody else is home and I'm just sitting there by myself on my computer... I have no idea what it is and its bloody scary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Kohler 3 knob shower faucet keeps turning and turning on the hot water. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 3 knob Kohler shower faucet in my bathroom. The hot water keeps turning and turning and doesn't stop. The water does turn on and off but it also keeps dripping. I have to play with it in order to prevent it from dripping as much as possible. How can I fix this? It is an older type Kohler...

Why is my dryer turning off and turning it's self back on? [ 1 Answers ]

I turn my dryer on and it will shut off and then turn back on? Why

My shower faucet keeps turning and turning. [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my shower faucet has to be almost entirely turned around before it comes on. This just happened today. . Only the cold water.. is that a bad valve er something? Thank you in advance:(

Ceiling fan turning and the lights are turning [ 1 Answers ]

For some reason the lights are turning alone with the fan? Actually spinning on the shaft. I have black, white and ground wire from the ceiling and a blue, black and white wire from the ceiling fan. I'm connecting the blue, black from the ceiling fan to the black from the ceiling and the white from...

How to fix sillcock valve that keeps turning and turning [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I have searched high and low but can not seem to find anything related to my own problem. I have a sillcok valve that just can not be shut off and with winter coming I am starting to think I will need a plumber but wanted to try myself first. I removed the screw that holds the tap and...

View more questions Search