Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bagley_r Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 13, 2012, 11:52 AM
    How to potty train 7 month old puppy?
    Please help 7 month old ptbull mix will not got to the bathroom out side no matter how long we leave her out I really want to keep her but I also have a 3 year old pitbull that I don't want going on the floor because the puppy is... Please help
    tabane27 Posts: 14, Reputation: -8

Mar 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
    I had two dogs once, the first I had 4 years then got another. The 4 year old was trained easy but the second was a labrador (lazy) took a year to train her. Tried everything. Put papers down somewhere decent in the house, when ever she made a mess I would rub her nose in it shout at her telling her naughty and take her to the news paper, she soon caught onto it, within 2 weeks I moved the paper out side and shown her by letting her sniff it, it was repeated till she new that was the place to go, disciplin is important and raising your voice so they know who's the boss, they will go with this technique with these guides. But when shouting at the dog make sure the other is not around to see as dogs are clever. My 4 year old dog used to do its mess on the carpet so the other would get told of, I soon caught her out. Hope you get it sorted
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2012, 04:25 PM
    One of the easiest ways to potty train a puppy is to simply pay attention and watch for signals make sure your puppy is always whare you can see him.you may need to use baby gates or close doors to keep your puppy from wandering off and going potty in the house.when you notice the puppy sniffing around or if you see him start to squat quickly scoop him up and take him outside.after the puppy eats or drinks take him outside to go potty within about 10 minutes.a puppy will always need to thepotty shortly after eating or drinking.control when the puppy eats as well he does not require a full bowl of food available at all times.check with your vet regarding how much or how frequintly your puppy should eat.when you take the puppy outside after eating or drinking do not use this time to play.simply stand or sit off to te side and wait until he finally goes.if you are occupied and unable to keep an eye on him for extended periods consider crate training your puppy.while it may feel like you are imprisoning him puppies who are crate trained begin to appreciate the safety and security of their crate as it is much like the dens their ancestors lived in.choose a crate that is large enough for your puppy to stand and tur around in.never use the crate as punishment such as a time out corner.it shoul be a place where the puppy feels safe and comfortable.take the puppy outside to go potty before putting him in his crate.he can be safely crated for 3 to 4 hours.puppies rarely use te crate as a potty and will learn to hold it in while he is in the crate.take him outside to go potty as soon as you let him out of the crate.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tabane27 View Post
    i had two dogs once, the first i had 4 years then got another. the 4 year old was trained easy but the second was a labrador (lazy) took a year to train her. tried everything. put papers down somewhere decent in the house, when ever she made a mess i would rub her nose in it shout at her telling her naughty and take her to the news paper, she soon caught onto it, within 2 weeks i moved the paper out side and shown her by letting her sniff it, it was repeated till she new that was the place to go, disciplin is important and raising your voice so they know whos the boss, they will go with this technique with these guides. but when shouting at the dog make sure the other is not around to see as dogs are clever. my 4 year old dog used to do its mess on the carpet so the other would get told of, i soon caught her out. hope you get it sorted
    This is the absolute worst advice anyone could give.

There are so many things wrong with your "training/abuse" technique, I don't even know where to begin.

Let's try to teach you in a way you'll understand, so you'll see what's wrong with what you've done.

Let's say you have a child. The child is 2, and it's time to potty train. YOu don't want her pooping and peeing in her diaper any more. How would you potty train a child, a human being that doesn't understand or know what to do? Would you yell? Would you rub the poopy diaper in her face whenever she had an accident? Most people would view that as child abuse, because it is.

Well, a dog is the same. Dogs don't know that peeing inside is wrong. This is something that has to be taught. Like a child you have to reward for good behavior, praise, not yell, and definitely not rub their nose in their own excrement!

It can take time. Some dogs, like kids, catch on right away. Others can take more time.

Many novice pet owners put down paper, or puppy pads, and then don't understand why their dog is still peeing and pooing in the house. To a dog there's no difference between paper, a puppy pad, tile, carpet, or anything else. Let the dog pee inside, even on paper, and the dog will pee inside, but not always on the paper. Novice pet owner mistake.

The correct way to train a dog is patience, reward, and positive reinforcement. This isn't as quick as abusing your dog. Abuse will get the job done. But it depends on you. Do you want a dog that will love you, or a dog that fears you? If the answer is the latter, then please, rehome the dog.

Take the dog outside. Pick a potty word. I use "potty time". Repeat over and over. When the dog potties, you're going to act like you just won the lottery. Good dog! Such a good dog! Treat! Hugs, kisses, pats on the head. Make very sure that the dog knows that what he's just done is the best thing ever!

Does one potty outside mean the dog is trained? Heck no. This can take weeks, even months. It means going out with the dog every single potty break. It means putting in the time, and the effort.

If the dog has an accident outside and you catch him doing it, a firm no (not a yell), then take the dog outside, use the potty word you've chosen, and when he goes outside, another party.

Never yell, never hit, never put your dogs nose in it's own feces or urine. That's abuse.
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Can't give you a thumbs up Alty as I have to spread the rep. Very true on all aspects. The other persons "training method" has been debunked years and years ago. No reputable trainer will ever go that method.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 04:48 PM
    i had two dogs once, the first i had 4 years then got another. the 4 year old was trained easy but the second was a labrador (lazy) took a year to train her. tried everything. put papers down somewhere decent in the house, when ever she made a mess i would rub her nose in it shout at her telling her naughty and take her to the news paper, she soon caught onto it, within 2 weeks i moved the paper out side and shown her by letting her sniff it, it was repeated till she new that was the place to go, disciplin is important and raising your voice so they know whos the boss, they will go with this technique with these guides. but when shouting at the dog make sure the other is not around to see as dogs are clever. my 4 year old dog used to do its mess on the carpet so the other would get told of, i soon caught her out. hope you get it sorted
    Really, rub her nose in it... shouting at her... telling her she was naughty... you ABSOLUTELY should not be a dog owner!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
    I am with morgrann, think you did a great job and can't give you a greenie just yet. I hope bagley did not read that first answer and go off wrecking the pup. I started my Plott Hounds as pups. Fed at the same timer twice per day and then allowed them 45 minutes to digest a bit. Then I take them for a good 1 mile walk after they had their rest. Praising and making a big deal with a slightly higher piutched voice than I would use around people I tell them how good they are to go poo or go pee. Sometimes your voice is the best praise so never yell at a dog. Dogs brains move from thought to thought much like a one year old baby, they poop in the wrong place and you yell at them they have no idea the two are related. They just think you yell and the dog will not trust you or want to be around you.
    bagley_r Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Everyone should know that rubing a dogs nose in thare own poo is not sanitary, and abuse no one who dose that should even b allowed to have a dog!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 02:43 AM
    wrong all of you, ive had many dogs, done the right way and it just doesnt work, it takes longer and end up with a smelly house. my advice is the best if she wants that do to learn. mine were highly intelligent and well looked after
    Incorrect advice is the absolutely worse you can offer here. Abusing a dog to housebreak is incorrect advice, and that is exactly what you posted.

No dog trainer will advise this and no dog expert here would ever advise this.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 03:18 AM
    And to add even more here about this totally outdated way of rubbing their nose in it.
    1-It's just plain nasty
    2-It instills fear rather than respect
    3-A dog who is fearful is quicker to bite than those who are not.
    That is not speculation, It is gained from the experience of working with others peoples dogs for more than 12 years.
    Fearful dogs don't always cower, they are on the defense and ready to lunge if they feel threatened.

Bagley, reread the thread I think you will find it easy to pick out the constructive advice.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
    Tabane took a year to train the dog, maybe never wondered why it took so long, its was the abusive "training" method. Tabane still thinks rubbing your nose in it will change behavior, that's why we all got reddies from tabane. Tabane needs to learn yhow to work with other and give good advice, when you have none then just remain silent. BTW bagley did you know every reddies you passed out is worth a single point. When the people who actually know hat they are talking about see your reddie they give greenie worth 5 points. I have two greenies now because of your sillyness, sorry not trying to rub your nose in it.
    Pets Expert

Mar 15, 2012, 04:15 PM
    wrong all of you, ive had many dogs, done the right way and it just doesnt work, it takes longer and end up with a smelly house. my advice is the best if she wants that do to learn. mine were highly intelligent and well looked after
    So you're admitting that you're just too lazy to properly train a dog? Did you ever consider that the reason it didn't work is because you weren't consistent, and you were not a good dog owner or trainer, because that's what I'm reading from your posts. You gave up because you weren't getting results. You weren't getting results because you have no clue what you're doing.

Your best advice is still the worst advice I've ever heard. You don't have to agree with me. I can't make you. But I've had dogs all my life, currently have 2, had dogs before I was even born. I worked in shelters helping to rehabilitate problem dogs. I am a dog advocate. I will not stand by while you tell someone to mistreat, abuse their dog, and say nothing. See, abuse gets you nowhere. I still don't agree with you. Your abusive ways have once again failed to get results.

You said yours were highly intelligent. Obviously not, otherwise they wouldn't have been difficult to train the right way. But to be fair to your dogs, I'm sure it's not them that lack intelligence. I'd bet it's the owner. But that's just my opinion. :)
    italianstyle Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 27, 2012, 07:41 AM
    News paper in one spot then take a little away week by week he will get the idea u pee outside
    mogrann Posts: 860, Reputation: 193
    Dogs Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 07:52 AM
    Problem with newspapers is it confuses the dogs just as puppy pee pads do. The dog does not understand why they are allowed to pee in one spot in the house and not others. Why can't they pee on the magazine or coloring book on the floor. Others have posted very good training tips which take time on your behalf but you end up with a loving pet that is not scared of you.
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2012, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by italianstyle View Post
    news paper in one spot then take a little away week by week he will get the idea u pee outside
    Newspaper is like puppy pads. A dog doesn't know the difference between newspaper, carpet, lino, or any other surface. Peeing inside is peeing inside, wherever the puppy decides, unless it's trained to pee outdoors.

I had a dog that was newspaper trained. I was eleven when we got him, and my mom chose to paper train because she worked, my dad worked, and I went to school. Crate training back then was not mainstream.

So we paper trained. Silver (that was our dog) was hit and miss his entire life. Sometimes he went on the paper, sometimes he went on the carpet, sometimes he went on the lino.

Dog's can't differentiate between paper, puppy pads, or any other indoor surface. They can differentiate between inside and outside.

In other words, your advice, although you meant well, is not sound advice. Sadly most people still think it's okay. But those people, like the original poster, end up coming to sites like this asking what they're doing wrong.

It's really the choice of the person asking. Listen to people that have trained dogs all their lives, or learn to accept that your dog will continue peeing inside because that's what you taught him/her to do.

I have to say, we got a new puppy just a few days ago. He's had two accidents in the house. Not because he's trained. He's only 8 weeks old, he's far from trained. But, I know the signs. I can tell when he has to go out, so I take him out immediately. When he pees or poos outside, he's petted, told how good he is, and praised to the nines. When he has to pee or poo he cries. It's seconds after that he has to go, so if we hear him cry, we go outside immediately.

That's how you train a puppy. Newspaper, puppy pads, the grass like pee pads they sell online, they're for lazy pet owners, and they don't work.

It's really the choice of the owner, but I have to say, if you're too lazy to take your dog outside to pee, then you shouldn't have a dog.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 10:29 AM

This is downright abusive - your dogs should be removed from your home.

Good job teaching your dogs to be afraid of you AND eat their own feces.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 10:32 AM

Is this how you potty trained your children? They're smaller than you are and also easy to abuse.

So you've done it the "right way" (which I assume means not rubbing their noses in their feces) and that took longer so you resorted to cruelty?

I agree - the DOGS seem highly intelligent.
    Uber Member

Apr 28, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by italianstyle View Post
    news paper in one spot then take a little away week by week he will get the idea u pee outside
    How does the dog make the connection between the newspaper area being smaller and going outside? What am I missing?
    Pets Expert

Apr 28, 2012, 03:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    How does the dog make the connection between the newspaper area being smaller and going outside? What am I missing?
    You're not missing anything Judy. It's the poster that is.

It baffles me that so many people still think that newspaper training, puppy pads, rubbing your dogs nose in their excrement, yelling, and being abusive, is the way to train a dog.

Does being cruel work? Ya. It does, but it's not any quicker than actually being humane, and teaching your dog what you actually expect, instead of punishing them for something they have no idea is wrong. One method leaves your dog fearful, can lead to aggression, and trust me, you're not getting respect and love from your dog if you use that method.

I have to wonder how they'd feel if the tables were turned. For instance, if they went to a country where shoes were not permitted beyond the door, because it's their culture. What if these "abuse your dog, hit your dog, rub his nose in the poo, yell" people went to a country like this, left their shoes on, and the owner of the house (who doesn't speak English) whacked them with the shoe, yelled at them, and abused them. Would they learn that shoes aren't allowed? Yes, I'm sure they'd learn very quickly, but I doubt they'd want to be around these people afterwards.

Now, if that same scenario happened, and instead of yelling, hitting, throwing the shoe, the owner of the house took the shoes outside, spoke nicely (even though they're speaking a language we can't understand), and then showed what was expected, how would they react? Wouldn't that be better?

I know that none of these wannabe pet experts will like what I'm saying, or what you're saying, but facts are facts. The methods they're suggesting are abuse, plain and simple. Those that aren't abuse, are just ridiculous and don't work.

There is a method that works, and it's been outlined on this thread, step by step, plain and simple.

Here are the facts. I have a new puppy, he's 8 weeks old. We got him on Tuesday night, it's now Saturday. Using the method I've outlined on this thread, he's had only a few accidents in our home, and those were my fault. He cried to be let out, and I didn't react immediately (mainly because I didn't know why he was crying, until he squatted, I hadn't learned his signals). But now that I've learned to read his signals, and praised him for every potty he's done outside, he's learning.

Is he potty trained? Hell no! He's only 8 weeks old! But he's well on his way, and I'd bet that he'll be completely trained, and accident free, within a month.

The OP of this thread has a 7 month puppy that isn't trained. Why? Laziness, inconsistency, and most likely using the same methods a lot of the wannabe know nothing posters posted on this thread.

Even my most stubborn dog, my beagle Chewy, was potty trained completely before he turned 5 months, and he was the most stubborn of the group. My lab was trained within a week (he was 3 months old when we brought him home). My border collie was trained within days (he was 4 months old when we brought him home). I never ever put a dogs nose in their feces or urine, I've never yelled, and I've never raised a hand to them. I took them outside, and when they pottied I gave them praise. That's all I did, and it's worked every single time, with every dog I've ever had, and I've had many more then the ones I've listed.

So it's really the choice of the dog owner. Are you too lazy to train your dog correctly? Because that's the only reason to use newspaper, puppy pads, hitting, yelling, and rubbing their noses in it. And if you're too lazy to properly train a dog, and so cruel that you'd result in abuse, then you shouldn't have a dog. Agree or don't agree, it's not an opinion, it's fact.
    italianstyle Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
    Its by the door and he sees it getting smaller and next step is out the door works every time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy will not potty train or go outside [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help? I have a 4 month old ****-zu cross who has many bad habits. From 12 weeks (when we got her) we have been using training mats, which she uses but still has accidents around the house sometimes and it is driving me crazy because it stinks. I take her for long walks but...

What's the best way to potty train a 5 month old puppy? [ 4 Answers ]

In December I got a puppy.He pees on the carpet,and he needs to stop!Sometimes when I take him on walks he pees.All I want to know a website that tells how to potty train a puppy,or someone can just tell me how to as an answer.

What is a good way to potty train a St. Bernard Puppy [ 2 Answers ]

I have just bought a St. Bernard (6 week old) puppy. What is a good way to train the dog to go potty outside and not pee when just coming out of kennel or after I have let the pup outside already and then after letting pup back in he pee's the minute on entry?

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

View more questions Search