Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jetgirl29 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Ohio roommate laws
    I had a roommate from dec 2010 through May 2012. She did not pay and she still has her stuff here. Can I just throw it out?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Well since May is still a week off, she is technically still there.

You need to send her a letter to her forwarding or last know address (which may be your address), preferably certified, stating that unless she retrieves her things within 14-30 days, they will be disposed of.

Apr 26, 2012, 09:56 AM
    Ok... Just for my own clarification. She was not on the lease and never paid bills or rent I still Hve to give her at least !4 days?

Thank you
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jetgirl29 View Post
    I had a roomate from dec 2010 thru May 2012. she did not pay and she still has her stuff here. Can I just throw it out?
    May, 2012 hasn't arrived yet. So is she still there?

Throw the stuff out and she might sue you for the value of the stuff. Put it in storage. If she comes back asking for the stuff, give her the key in exchange for what you paid for the first month's rental fee and the padlock. If it's after the first month, accumulated rental fees are between her and the storage facility.

Apr 26, 2012, 09:59 AM
    I am sorry I meant to say May 2011...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 26, 2012, 10:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jetgirl29 View Post
    Ok... Just for my own clarification. She was not on the lease and never paid bills or rent I still Hve to give her at least !4 days?

Thank you
    Yes, she was there for 5 months. Enough to establish residency. So not paying rent or being on the lease has no bearing.

The problem is, if you don't give her notice of your intention to dispose of the items, she can sue you for their value. So you want to protect yourself.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
    May 2011? I suppose you can get technical, but most locales allow for abandonment after 30, 60, or 90 days. I've never heard of longer. I personally wouldn't do the storage locker business or spend more than a .45 stamp to your address specifying an abandonment date, and keep it unopened when it arrives.
    I might sort through her things and set aside anything small and of value, and she can pay past due rent to get them back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roommate Issues in Ohio, I want her out! [ 7 Answers ]

I own my home. It is set up as a duplex. I had a "friend" move in the upstairs part of my home, in August, 2008. THe agreement was that she would pay me $250 per month, for rent, and half of the utilities. Right after she moved in, she lost her job. I was flexible with her, letting her know...

Eviction laws in Ohio [ 8 Answers ]

My son, 22, will be released from jail in October. I want him to live in our home and my husband says he cannot. Both my husband and I are listed on the deed to the home. Can my husband not allow my son to stay in the home and evict him, or because he has MY PERMISSION, can he stay? Please,...

Emancipation laws in Ohio [ 1 Answers ]

My mom and I we don't get along at all not at all and its really starting to get old. She is always telling me that she does not want me around her anymore that she is going to send me away. She is always putting me down and everything and it kills me I just want to get away. I was wondering what...

Ohio Laws [ 1 Answers ]

What are the laws in Ohio about pit bulls if you have a web site id love to have it thanks

View more questions Search