Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mybalance Posts: 37, Reputation: 0

Apr 24, 2012, 04:14 PM
    What could cause sudden cravings for hot sauce?
    I never could tolerated any thing spicy, not even 1 Flamin' Hot Cheeto. Now, for the past 2 weeks, I've been wanting hot sauce on everything. Corn, pizza, cake, lollipops, Vanilla Zingers (gross I know, but it was delicious to me). You name it, hot sauce was on it. I never had any weird cravings with my first pregnancy, and AF was regular, before I found out I was already 3 mons. Pregnant even after having 2 BFN. I don't believe I'm pregnant, although I was 2 days late and my breast have been sore for 2 weeks. I've heard this happens just before AF arrives, but my breast were never sore then. My boyfriend thought I might be pregnant, but AF came last night, and it seems like a regular flow (sorry TMI). I'm just confused about the sudden cravings for hot sauce. Is it possible that I ''MIGHT" be pregnant again and still seeing AF for a while before getting a BFP? Or, is craving hot sauce caused by some type of deficancy that my body has?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mybalance View Post
    I never could tolerated any thing spicy, not even 1 Flamin' Hot Cheeto. Now, for the past 2 weeks, I've been wanting hot sauce on everything. Corn, pizza, cake, lollipops, Vanilla Zingers (gross I know, but it was delicious to me). You name it, hot sauce was on it. I never had any weird cravings with my first pregnancy, and AF was regular, before I found out I was already 3 mons. pregnant even after having 2 BFN. I don't believe I'm pregnant, although I was 2 days late and my breast have been sore for 2 weeks. I've heard this happens just before AF arrives, but my breast were never sore then. My bf thought I might be pregnant, but AF came last night, and it seems like a regular flow (sorry TMI). I'm just confused about the sudden cravings for hot sauce. Is it possible that I ''MIGHT" be pregnant again and still seeing AF for a while before getting a BFP? Or, is craving hot sauce caused by some type of deficancy that my body has?

How is your sense of smell? Are your allergies kicking up causing you to be stuffed up? Does your sense of smell seem duller then it used to be?

(quote)

Perchonok and Hunter got interested in the stuffy nose theory because they noticed that hot sauce was a surprisingly popular astronaut request. People who lose their sense of smell start preferring spicy foods, and they thought the same might be happening to astronauts

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/discoblog/2012/02/27/investigating-the-charlie-brown-effect-astronauts-chubby-faces-and-hot-sauce-cravings/

Apr 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mybalance View Post
    I never could tolerated any thing spicy, not even 1 Flamin' Hot Cheeto. Now, for the past 2 weeks, I've been wanting hot sauce on everything. Corn, pizza, cake, lollipops, Vanilla Zingers (gross I know, but it was delicious to me). You name it, hot sauce was on it. I never had any weird cravings with my first pregnancy, and AF was regular, before I found out I was already 3 mons. pregnant even after having 2 BFN. I don't believe I'm pregnant, although I was 2 days late and my breast have been sore for 2 weeks. I've heard this happens just before AF arrives, but my breast were never sore then. My bf thought I might be pregnant, but AF came last night, and it seems like a regular flow (sorry TMI). I'm just confused about the sudden cravings for hot sauce. Is it possible that I ''MIGHT" be pregnant again and still seeing AF for a while before getting a BFP? Or, is craving hot sauce caused by some type of deficancy that my body has?
    To answer the reply I just received, I never had sinus problems, and my sense of smell has become extremely stronger than usual lately. I don't have a cold, and my nose is not stuffy. I can even smell scents that are not around me. So, I seriously doubt if my sense of smell have anything to do with me craving hot sauce. Thanks anyway.

Apr 25, 2012, 03:49 PM
    Hot Sauce Craving Question Again
    To the reply I received to my previous post. No, I do not have any problems with my sinuses or sense of smell. Thank you for your concern anyway. I was wondering about this weird craving (taste related) for hot sauce. If I'm not pregnant (hopefully not) do women get weird cravings and breast pain just before starting perimenopause? Can anyone H E L P!!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2012, 05:21 PM
    I think sometimes we crave foods because of certain vitamins or whatever our body needs, or we just like them.
    I Love My Cayennes, and Ghost Peppers, I Grow Both, I make a Hot Sauce from both, Trying to make it hotter, May be a Man thing. Cayenne I know is very good for you, Not sure about the Ghost.
    I Ate A Large Whole Ghost Pepper, Besides the Sweating and internal Heat, I had to lay down, I started Shaking, I didn't call the Hospital, Because I thought it was too late, and nothing they can do, and perhaps I should have gotten my affairs in order prior to eating this. The next 2 days, Cayennes had No heat to them and Beer tasted like crap.
    It is a very tough pepper. Do not touch your eyes or ANYTHING, it is very hot.
    Google "Ghost pepper videos", and you may wonder why they do this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmando View Post
    I think sometimes we crave foods because of certain vitamins or whatever our body needs, or we just like them.
    I Love My Cayennes, and Ghost Peppers, I Grow Both, I make a Hot Sauce from both, Trying to make it hotter, May be a Man thing. Cayenne I know is very good for you, Not sure about the Ghost.
    I Ate A Large Whole Ghost Pepper, Besides the Sweating and internal Heat, I had to lay down, I started Shaking, I didn't call the Hospital, Because I thought it was too late, and nothing they can do, and perhaps I should have gotten my affairs in order prior to eating this. The next 2 days, Cayennes had No heat to them and Beer tasted like crap.
    It is a very tough pepper. Do not touch your eyes or ANYTHING, it is very hot.
    Google "Ghost pepper videos", and you may wonder why they do this.
    Have you tried Hababero's ? Great flavor but extreme heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habanero
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2012, 05:40 PM
    Yeah, that's like cotton candy, Have you tried the Ghost?
    Check out the bottom of the list on this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capsicum_cultivars

It list Habenero up to about 300-350,000 scovil Units, then the Ghost(Bhut Jolokia)up to 1 Million, this year the second new hottest is the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T which is up to 1.4 Million, and the Hottest is the Trinidad Maruga Scorpion at 2 Million.
    That is freaking Hot, If I run into 1, I will likely have to try it.
    If you're going to to be Dumb, you got to be Tough.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 08:16 PM
    Yeah, thats like cotton candy, Have you tried the Ghost?
    Check out the bottom of the list on this link:

List of Capsicum cultivars - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It list Habenero up to about 300-350,000 scovil Units, then the Ghost(Bhut Jolokia)up to 1 Million, this year the second new hottest is the Trinidad Scorpion Butch T which is up to 1.4 Million, and the Hottest is the Trinidad Maruga Scorpion at 2 Million.
    That is freaking Hot, If I run into 1, I will likely have to try it.
    If you're gonna to be Dumb, you gotta be Tough.
    I grow the Ghost as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
    Threads merged ( best I could) please do not start a new thread to answer another one.

If you need to add more info in a thread, "answer" your own question. Thanks.
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2012, 06:07 AM
    J_9, I have to turn the plants on their side and spray the bottoms of the leaves with water, once in the morning, once in the evening, to keep the White Flies from destroying them. A real Pain, but the plants seem to thrive like that.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 06:16 AM
    J_9, I have to turn the plants on their side and spray the bottoms of the leaves with water, once in the morning, once in the evening, to keep the White Flies from destroying them. A real Pain, but the plants seem to thrive like that.
    I don't seem to have a problem with the white flies.

I would love your recipe for the hot sauce you make with the ghosts.

Have you tried Black Pearls yet? I've got some growing this year.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2012, 06:18 AM
    J_9, I have to turn the plants on their side and spray the bottoms of the leaves with water,
    I grow them right in the garden.
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 10:40 AM
    J9, I made a few of sauces, each with about 20 Ghost Peppers, Various combinations of ingrediants including Cayenne, White Pepper, Tomatoe sauce, Honey, Vinegar(Taragon Vinegar because I had it?)

J9, What I have been doing lately is Dehydrate about 30 Ghost Peppers until crunchy, and force through a stainless steel screen sifter, then put in an empty Pepper grinder. And it gives you 3 sifting sizes.
    What you are left with is the seeds like you use on Pizzas, keep and set aside for that.
    The Pepper goes a long way, only takes a little, but is great on Steak, Chicken, Rice, Noodles.
    Start light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long to cook sauce in hot water bath [ 1 Answers ]

How long do you hot water bath home made sauce

All the sudden, water is too Hot [ 2 Answers ]

This morning, all of the sudden, our hot water is way too hot. Does anyone have an idea of what have caused this? No thermostat changes have been made, we have been at the same temp since we moved in the house (new) 5 years ago.

Is Hot Sauce Bad For Dogs? [ 4 Answers ]

My 13 week old Dane gets in to and onto every thing. He had a taste of some hot sauce. Don't know if if will hut him,aside from the burn. Are there any dangers? Thanks

Yer FAVORITE hot sauce an' all da strange thangs you put it on! [ 68 Answers ]

Okie dokie folkies... Here is your chance to enter the ALL TIME GREATEST HOT SAUCE debate! Step right up and list your brand and the great things it goes on! Mine is: 357 MAD DOG HOT SAUCE And it goes in my clam chowder, eggs, and well mexican food, of course! ...

View more questions Search