Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Why Do Some People's Have Runny Noses When They Are Eating
    Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight as to why and what is physically going on when some people get older they always have a runny nose when they are eating. I personally, used to see this happening all of the time when I worked as an activity aide at a nursing home. Now, I find that I have developed the same problem whenever I eat something. It happens all of the time to me. Is there a cure for this?
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Apr 6, 2007, 03:51 AM
    In medical dictionary it is known as Vasomotor Rhinitis. Unfortunately no information is available so far what is the real cause of this type of non-allergic runny nose. It may be a hypersensitive response to a dry atmosphere, air pollutants, spicy foods, alcohol, strong emotions, or some medications. Vasomotor rhinitis is not caused by an infection or allergy.
    iminlove Posts: 31, Reputation: 5

Apr 6, 2007, 06:02 AM
    My father is 62 and this just started happening to him last year.
    He had a heart attack and bypass and was discovered to have diabetes.
    As soon as he was home and started recovering this problem developed.
    My father said the doctor told him it was from various medications but no one specified which medication might be causing this.
    Lady1717 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight as to why and what is physically going on when some people get older they always have a runny nose when they are eating. I personally, used to see this happening all of the time when I worked as an activity aide at a nursing home. Now, I find that I have developed the same problem whenever I eat something. It happens all of the time to me. Is there a cure for this?
    I'm 27 years old and I have the same problem. Every time I eat or drink anything (it doesn't have to be spicy) I get a runny nose. My Mom has the same problem. We have gone to the doctor and he just prescribed nasal spray. It doesn't work at all :( And it's very embarrassing every time I'm eating with someone else.

What can I do to prevent runny nose? Can this be treated? Or is this a problem I will have for the rest of my life?
    AW805 Posts: 283, Reputation: 43

May 6, 2007, 11:08 PM
    I read somewhere that elderly have a problem with runny noses.
    Uber Member

May 6, 2007, 11:18 PM
    Well , I'm by far not in the same class as the elderly just yet! But, thank you for responding AW805.
    sunshinelg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 05:38 PM
    As a speech-language pathologist who works w/ an older population, your problem has to do w/ an incoordination w/ your breathing and swallowing. Try a slower pace while eating and not taking too big of bites... Hopefully that should help. If it gets worse I would talk to a speech language pathologist who may be able to help further.
    charitmnacho Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 10:08 AM
    This isn't just a problem that older people have, everyone in my family has this, it affects people of all ages. Here is what I've found... Gustatory Rhinorrhea is the cause... google it. They say that if you take an antihistamine about an hour before eating it will prevent your nose from running. Although it does say you shouldn't use this all the time, you should save it for the most important times, and only do this occasionally. I haven't tried it yet myself but am hoping this works! Good Luck:rolleyes:
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2009, 11:52 AM
    Hi, charitmnacho!

Thank you for your advice! It's much appreciated!

Thanks!
    bell1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2009, 10:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charitmnacho View Post
    This isn't just a problem that older people have, everyone in my family has this, it affects people of all ages. Here is what I've found.....Gustatory Rhinorrhea is the cause....google it. They say that if you take an antihistamine about an hour before eating it will prevent your nose from running. Although it does say you shouldn't use this all the time, you should save it for the most important times, and only do this occasionally. I haven't tried it yet myself but am hoping this works! Good Luck:rolleyes:

I may have to try this as my nose just starts running at random time, usually all the time when I eat (whether spicy or not), if I'm at work answering the phone, and I am only 36 so not elderly I wouldn't think. This started happening about a year ago and is very uncomfortable and irritating. Thank you for the advise will definitely try.
    jeffbuckley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 09:54 PM
    Some people have more issues than runny noses: http://theyreeatingit.com - haha!
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2010, 12:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbuckley View Post
    Some people have more issues than runny noses: They're Eating It.com - haha!
    And, your purpose here is what, please?

Thanks!
    katfen5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2010, 09:06 AM
    Have your vitamin D level checked. I had that problem too, when vitamin D levels raised it stopped. My dad had it very bad as well, he had a heart attack, and a lot of other problems. I think a vitamin D deficiency killed him eventually.
    Uber Member

Sep 10, 2010, 02:24 AM
    Wow! Over three years later and this thread is still getting responses!

The vitamin D level sounds like something worth checking out...
    Hala1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 08:03 PM
    Antihistamine mask the problem, and they're another absurd standard of care; they make you drowsy. Then, when standard medicine lets us down and we look elsewhere, they call us pro-charlatans!
    HEF01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2011, 05:41 AM
    I have had this problem since I was 13 or so, and I am 39 now. sunshinelg is spot on. I explained it as you are gagging yourself without realizing it by eating to quickly and not chewing your food enough. Chew your food till it's almost liquid and the problem should subside.
    dreamstar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 11:06 PM
    I have runny nose problem while eating food (spicy or not)
    bobs1936 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 04:23 PM
    I am 75 and never had this problem until I had half of my thyroid removed and I did not have to take any medication for the thyroid, I am taking heart, deabetis & blood pressure meds but I was taking them before the operation
    Lemontree41 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2012, 01:31 AM
    I have had this problem my entire life. I notice it more when I go out to dinner in a public place. This is embarrassing, never in my life have I thought to see if anyone else suffers from this, I always felt alone. Thanks for sharing this information here.
    Ann
    bluemarine Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2012, 10:30 AM
    I have this problem too, whenever eating spicy or not. I am 46 yers old and on anti-dipressant already 8 years but this problem started to me about 2 years ago,thanks to this thread I am not feeling alone now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Housebroken dog peeing in other people's houses [ 4 Answers ]

We are visiting our relatives for Thanksgiving, and brought Barkley (year old lab mix) along... He had an 8 hour car ride to get her and refused to go to the bathroom the whole day. (We let him out 4 times at rest stops in an 8 hour period, and gave him water) Is this normal? Additionally, he...

Cat has runny eye [ 5 Answers ]

? I was wondering if someone could tell me if they know what could cause a runny eye in cats. About 2 days ago, I noticed that my cats left eye started running. It is a clear liquid, so I don't know if she just got something in it and it is running or what. I was wondering if anyone had any advice...

Runny noses [ 13 Answers ]

How do you get rid of a runny nose? I have a horrible cold.

Runny eye [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: My cat, Rex. Is a big black cat. Yesterday I noticed his eye is running. It is not puffy or discolored. It is like his one eye is slowly crying. I think maybe he has dust or something in his eye. Can I use contact solution to wash out his eye without hurting him?

View more questions Search