Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Feb 18, 2010, 08:19 AM
    Adding Stair Tread Support
    Hey guys, I have a 50 year old house. The stairs leading from my first floor to the second floor need some help. Some of the treads are starting to split where they were glued years ago. When I put weight on the tread, some spots sink a little.

Last year I tried the fix shown in the pic below, but it only worked so, so. Does anyone have a better way for me to support the treads from below in a way that will still allow me to sheetrock over the supports later on?
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 08:40 AM

Install a couple of angle brackets as shown tying treads to risers.
    Attached Images

Feb 18, 2010, 09:19 AM

Are these brackets designed to reach all the way under the tread or just tie the tread into the riser? I'm not having problems with the riser connection. The separation is happening right in the middle of the tread.
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 12:46 AM

Sorry, misunderstood the problem.

I think I would attach a strip of 1/2" plywood about 4" wide to the underside of the tread, straddling the joint using glue and screws. You will have to drill pilot holes in the oak tread for the screws, being careful not to penetrate the top side of the tread.

Mar 31, 2010, 02:12 PM

This idea worked great. Instead of using 4" strips I used plywood strips that were 7"x24". Then I glued and screwed. Using the plywood was faster and added so much more support than my original fix. Thanks again.
    andyandjudi Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Cut a third stringer in

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Working the tread mill [ 10 Answers ]

... can walking and running the tread mill for 30 min a day alone help you lose weight?. and get tid of an annoying belly?. my eating habits are somewhat haphazrd but don't drink.I am 35 years of age! .. What other programs would one embrace to keep fit?. I am 5'8 and tipping the scales at 181...

Tread depth [ 7 Answers ]

How much more than the run is the tread depth?

Concrete stair tread finish [ 3 Answers ]

I'm building an interior concrete stair and need tread finishing ideas. I would also like to incorporate a bullnose, and grooves as a non-slip pattern in the tread surface. I've not been able to find a edging tool to create the bullnose/groove combination. Any suggestions?

Molding on stairs where the tread meets the riser? [ 3 Answers ]

July 8, 2007 Thank you Esquire1, Stairman and Glavine for your responses, but please let me clarify. The staple marks are on the top side of the tread where it meets the riser, that is, they are on the part of the tread where you step when you go up and down the stairs. Your responses seemed...

Purchasing the right tread mill [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to purchase a treadmill. It would be for exercise and fun; I'm in shape and don't need to lose weight. What should I look for while shopping around? What's the difference between the motorized treadmills and the manual treadmills I've seen? Thanks.

View more questions Search