Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    THOMAS1949 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
    Acreage wrong on warranty deed
    My warranty deed says that the acreage is .44, according to the plat which I have just seen says .044. What needs to be done to correct this? Was I taken?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 11:56 AM
    So what is correct ?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
    What other type of description does your deed contain? Does it have something called a "metes and bounds" description? That type usually begins with "Beginning at a point..." and goes on to describe the boundaries of the property with degrees, minutes, seconds, feet and inches.

If your deed contains a metes and bounds description then that is the controlling description and you really don't need to change the acreage amount.

If the legal description instead refers to a survey or filed map then the description isn't quite as accurate and should be changed. To correct this you can file a Corrective Deed. To do that you have a deed prepared with the current owners as Grantors and the current owners as Grantees. You copy the rest of the legal description but you add a statement such as "The purpose of this Corrective Deed is to correct the acreage shown in the Deed dated xxxx, from (your seller), as Grantor, to (you), as Grantee. The correct acreage is xxx."

Then you have the Corrective Deed filed in the county clerk or county register's office.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by THOMAS1949 View Post
    ... Was i taken?
    Did you buy the land for the purpose in mind of paying so much per acre? If you don't know the difference between 1/2 acre and 1/20th of an acre, I find that difficult to believe.

A square .44 acre would be, as I calculate it, about 140' x 140'
    On the other hand, a square .044 acre would be about 43' x 43'.

Major difference.

Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    ... To correct this you can file a Corrective Deed. ...
    But why bother? What purpose would that serve?
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    But why bother? What purpose would that serve?
    To create an accurate legal description.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:38 PM
    To create an accurate legal description.
    OP can just as easily do that when he/she sells or mortgages it. Why do it now?
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:45 PM
    OP can just as easily do that when he/she sells or mortgages it. Why do it now?
    Why not do it now? They bear the cost of recording it no matter when they do it.
    And we don't know if the OP is going to sell or finance the property. They may choose not to.

Why would you knowingly leave an incorrect deed on record?
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Why would you knowingly leave an incorrect deed on record?
    Because I'm not an obsessive/ compulsive perhaps?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:55 PM
    Sounds like the plot is wrong to me, not many lots that small, not near large enough to build anything on.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 12:57 PM
    Because I'm not an obsessive/ compulsive perhaps?
    Perhaps. But if I had a client who received an incorrect deed and I left it on record that way, particularly if I didn't know their future intentions for the property, I'd think that would be very poor representation.
    Expert

Apr 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Perhaps. But if I had a client who received an incorrect deed and I left it on record that way, particularly if I didn't know their future intentions for the property, I'd think that would be very poor representation.
    If I was the lawyer responsible for a typo, I'd want to correct it to. But I don't believe OP said this just happened. Could be the deed was recorded years ago and OP just happened to look at the plat.

But, the actual size of the lot needs to be arrived at. If the size in the deed was copied incorrectly from the plat or from the previous deed, that might be easy to fix. But if the discrepency results from an incorrect survey, we are talking about another survey, probably. That's not cheap, so that's why I asked "why change it now?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I do a warranty deed or a quick claim deed if my father has passed away? [ 8 Answers ]

My father has passed away and he had no will whatsoever but he told me verbally that he wanted to put the house in my name. But he passed before we can do that. He is married but his wife is illegal and does not work. And we all want to put the house in my name because this house is the last thing...

Limited warranty deed vs. A general warranty deed [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a piece of property in order to build a home on in the future. The seller will be providing a Limited Warranty Deed vs. a General Warranty Deed. Is a lender or bank going to have a problem with this when I go to get my construction loan? Is there something I should know or ask before...

Difference between a warranty deed and a limited warranty deed? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference between a warranty deed and a limited warranty deed?

View more questions Search