Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GollyGeeWhiz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2012, 10:31 PM
    Water heater pressure valve leaking
    My electric water heater for the last few years would drain a little out of the pressure relief valve, so I kept a bucket under the hose and emptied it every month. In the last year or so, the water seemed not as hot as it used to be when the heater was new (it's 9 yrs old with a 12 yr parts warranty), and then one day a couple of weeks ago the water got scaldingly hot, and then cold the next day. The high temp. shut off switch had been tripped, so I reset it and we had hot water again.

Suddenly, though, the TPR valve started filling a 5 gal. bucket a day in intermittent bursts or trickles. I bought a generic TPR valve from a big box store and replaced it, but that did not seem to have much effect and the high temp reset button kept popping every couple of days. Then I replaced both top and bottom thermostats, and the symptoms changed slightly: the TPR does not leak during the day, but I have an electric timer on the heater, and when the heater shuts off in the evening the TPR valve will overflow a 5 gal bucket within a few hours. I now have to shut off the cold water every night just so that it won't leak.

I understand that thermal expansion occurs when cold water is heated, but why is this happening when the hot water cools? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 2, 2012, 07:09 AM
    What's your house PSI and is there a PRV,( pressure reducing valve) installed? I would certainly consider adding a expansion tank on the heater if it were me. Back to you, n Tom
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2012, 07:25 PM
    Check your main pressure regulator. You may be having too much tank pressure even with an expansion tank.
    GollyGeeWhiz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
    Thanks for the help - I finally got around to buying and putting a pressure gauge on the outside bib, and apparently I'm getting street pressure at the house (145 psi). I found a small PRV under the house, bought a new one and will replace it Tues. Hopefully that will take care of it although I am scratching my head as to why it leaks at night more than during the day. Maybe through normal daily use the pressure is relieved just enough but at night there is no water use to relieve the pressure
    Thanks again!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2012, 06:13 PM
    I am scratching my head as to why it leaks at night more than during the day. Maybe through normal daily use the pressure is relieved just enough but at night there is no water use to relieve the pressure
    BINGO! Dead on! Get the PSI down to at least, 60 PSI. Too high a PSI puts a strain on both fittings and faucets. Good luck, Toim
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2012, 08:37 PM
    Pressure will increase at night because of reduced demand on the system. The pump still pumps but it doesn't have to supply the daytime user volume. We always did hydrant flow tests during the day because it would give you a better idea of system demand.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 1 Answers ]

This may be old, But I'm having the same problem now, so I don't see the issue with new info being posted to old posts... these are problems that happen all the time.

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a gas water heater (50 gallon) in the garage. There are three openings on top of the tank (roof or the top surface of the tank). One is for cold water pipe, one for hot water pipe and the third one is a valve with flip style. Today I noticed water on the floor of the garage. Hot water...

Gas Hot Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve Leaking [ 6 Answers ]

Should the pressure relief valve on my natural gas hot water heater leak out of the pressure relief valve every time the burner comes on to heat the water? It has been doing this for several months and my builder said his plumber told him it is normal.:confused: Also the temperature just...

View more questions Search