Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ten1sBoy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 11:13 AM
    How to take out Governor in New Moen Shower Head
    Greetings! I just purchased a new Moen: Inspire Nine Inch Rainshower head. Model number 21999. I would like to take out the water saver restricter/Governor. Can you please tell me where it is located and how to take it out? I live out in the country on my own well for water so not worried about conserving water.

Model Number is 21999/Chrome finish

Says it puts out 2.5gpm

Thank-you
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 11:45 AM

Hello Ten1sBoy,

As per Moen instruction the restrictor is a code requirement and they would not instruct and have no instruction on line to remove the restrictor, if you want look for it when the shower head is not installed you be able to see it, good luck.

John
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 12:02 PM
    Hi all...

The restrictor is inside the shower head where it attaches to the shower arm. Remove the shower head and then use the tip of a screw to remove the black o-ring (see picture below). Otherwise, use a drill to drill through the restrictor or use a long screw to screw into the restrictor and pull it out. You can remove the entire restrictor or just part of it...

Be aware that sometimes these restrictors are designed to increase pressure while decreasing volume, so the shower may not appear to improve much... ;)

Let us know.. OK?

MARK
    Attached Images

Ten1sBoy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2009, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi all...

The restrictor is inside the shower head where it attaches to the shower arm. Remove the shower head and then use the tip of a screw to remove the black o-ring (see picture below). Otherwise, use a drill to drill through the restrictor or use a long screw to screw into the restrictor and pull it out. You can remove the entire restrictor or just part of it...

Be aware that sometimes these restrictors are designed to increase pressure while decreasing volume, so the shower may not appear to improve much...;)

Let us know..OK?

MARK
    Thanks so much! I took out the middle part of the green restrictor and now I have the water pressure like the "Elephant Shower Head" from the scene of the Black Market seller of shower heads on one of the Seinfeld episodes where Kramer wasn't getting enough pressure and his hair looked flat! Awesome suggestion
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2009, 09:21 PM
    Lol!!
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2009, 10:14 PM

Hi Mark you did well, but I went by the Moen recommendation, they don’t allow the restrictor to be removed because it is required by the code, any how it is great that Ten1sBoy followed your instruction and he is happy with it, Thanks.

Regards,
    John

Hi Mark and Milo, how would you guys attach a link or an Image to a privet email I wanted to share something with you guys but was not able to do so, if you guys know the trick please let me know, also I will be heading to Hong Kong again tomorrow you may not hear from me for a few days when I am in transit, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 29, 2009, 04:49 AM
    I don't know John, but I'll look into it and let you know. Have good trip!
    WomanDYI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
    It worked in April 2012 - I just followed the directions about taking out the O ring in the Moen shower head, and it worked like a charm! I was going to return it, but all I could think about was that a new one would have the same problem. Now I have pressure and I'm not cussing about Moen. So, MassPlumber2008, you're brilliant!
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
    *Blushes*... my Mom thinks so, too! Thanks!
    Missilemonger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 06:53 AM
    Just purchased a Moen rainfall showerhead from Amazon, appreciate your advice, and have a related question: Assuming that I don't drill the governor out, is it possible/diifficult to replace it? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 19, 2012, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Missilemonger View Post
    Just purchased a Moen rainfall showerhead from Amazon, appreciate your advice, and have a related question: Assuming that I don't drill the governor out, is it possible/diifficult to replace it? Thanks
    You don't "drill" it out you pry it out. And yes, It can be replaced. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 19, 2012, 07:12 AM
    I guess I don't understand your question.
    You remove the restrictor and try the shower head. If you don't like the results, you put it back.
    If you want something some where in between, you enlarge the hole in the restrictor.

If you muck it up I'm sure you can get a new one from Moen, probably without charge.
    Missilemonger Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
    Thanks Guys. I mentioned drilling it out because Response #3 (massplumber) suggested drilling as one way of getting rid of the governor.
    thank__you Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
    First I removed the four plastic semi-round pieces sticking out, but pulling them out with pliers.

Second I removed the small rubber o-ring with pliers.

Next, I put a hammer to a flathead screwdriver and popped in the remaining plastic piece.

The last part was fishing it out from the inside with tweezers and a long/sharp stick. (this part is tricky, but if you flip it upside down, it should come right out)
    golf_lover Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2014, 01:45 PM
    Removing the rubber o-ring from the restrictor did wonders. My o-ring was starting to break down and was more or less clogging up the shower head. I removed the rubber washer and it's better than new with more pressure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Moen Shower Head - flow much too restrictive [ 3 Answers ]

Moen Castleby T2377CP Shower Trim The new shower head is restricting flow. Before I start prying, what I see is this: Just below the threads there is a green "ring" with a center slotted green circular piece and then below that there is the black plastic piece with the holes. Is this...

Increasing the water flow of a Moen shower head [ 5 Answers ]

I have just installed new bathroom fixtures, Moen brand. I have tried to increase the pressure of the shower head. I have taken out the O ring in the top and I have unscrewed the face of the head. I have not been able to remove the head or remove the plastic in the neck. I don't want to break it...

Moen cartridge- bad leak from shower head [ 13 Answers ]

I have a Moen in my shower and a spout with a diverter. When I run the water with the diverter open, there is still a lot of water coming from the shower head. The only thing I can think of is that the water pressure is so strong that the water just gradually builds up and comes out of the head.?...

Moen: water always coming from shower head when faucet is on. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed a moen l82839 shower/tub assembly. The problem I am having is that when I turn on the water, just to the tub, water comes from the shower head. The knob that turns on the shower head on the faucet is down, noting is leaking otherwise. I don't know what's wrong. Its like there...

MOEN shower head and control valves [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had the upstairs bathroom updated with new Moem controls and shower head. The shower head water does not have the same force as before. I removed the shower head and installed another shower head with the same results. I can see the water restrictor in the Moem shower head, my...

View more questions Search