Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JAKEV25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
    HIPAA law and intercom
    I work at a pharmacy. For the most part it is a closed pharmacy. We may have three patients per day come in to pick up medicine. The majority of medicine is delivered. We do have vendors and guests however.

When an employee is in a computer profile of a patient... a second employee cannot access that profile at the same time. Sometimes we need to gain immediate access to a patient profile should the physician have a question on the phone.. . Is it against HIPAA Law to make this type of announcement overhead on the intercom?.

Example... "If you are in the profile of Wendy Smith please exit now."

No personal information but the patient's name is given in the announcement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 12, 2012, 06:24 PM
    It probably isn't, but it would be questionable ethically. I can't imagine a pharmacy that big that this would be needed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
    Strictly speaking, announcing to vendors and guests that Wendy Smith has a profile might be regarded as a HIPAA violation. Why not say "If you are in the profile of customer no. _____, please exit now."?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 06:59 PM
    Pharmacy in town, announce your prescription is done over the intercom in the store. So any customer there knows I was getting one.. Does not know how that differs
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 12, 2012, 09:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Pharmacy in town, announce your prescription is done over the intercom in the store. So any customer there knows I was getting one.. Does not know how that differs
    The mere fact that they do it doesn't make it legal. If someone wanted to make an issue of it they might get traction.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 13, 2012, 01:02 AM
    Word has it that HIPAA rejects 99.9% of complaints. And I don't think this falls under violations. But I agree that it just doesn't seem necessary when names probably have codes with them and names can be duplicates anyway. Not to mention the intercom could be for the employee area only. Regardless of HIPAA why not respect privacy in general?

I had to laugh when HIPAA was first a big deal. I would pick up my prescription at a CVS and have to sign a list that might have 2 or 3 names of people I knew on it! (I just squiggled an unreadable signature.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa Law [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé is currently on workers comp. He has not received a paycheck/workers comp check as of yet and on Tuesday it will be 8 weeks. He does have an attorney for this situation and we are getting kind of irritated right now. I am a full time student and am not working so we are relying on savings...

Hipaa LAw [ 2 Answers ]

What circumstances can personal health information be used for purposes unrelated to health care?

Hipaa law [ 3 Answers ]

I work at a company that stores medical records for a large hospital. They owe payment us for several months of service. Can I discontinue servicing their account until I get payment without breaking any hipaa laws ? Please advise.

View more questions Search