Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    techboy Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2005, 07:15 AM
    Remodling Bathroom, moving toilet and putting in Tub, not sure how to run drains
    The main question I have is how the flow should be on the shower because I do no see a way for it to be upstream from the toilet and vent. Can someone please offer some advice on how to run the pipes, I am pretty handy and usually do my own work, but I don't want to make any mistakes.

Thanks,
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 19, 2005, 12:23 PM
    Before I can give you a answer I'll need some measures. How far will the new lavatory set from the vent? Give me the dimensions of the room. Does the shower drain set directly over the main as you have drawn it? Is this a basement installation or upstairs? Will this job be inspected? Give me more details, (like everything you have). I've pretty much laid out the venting but need the measurements to check them out. Regards, Tom

Jun 19, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Thanks for the fast reply. I have not torn the walls away yet, but I figure that the vent will sit either directly behind the toilet or to the left or right of it within a foot. The room is 5' X 7' (very small). The tub drain will sit almost directly over the main and I am installing a corner sink. I am doing this job myself and there will be no inspection. This is the first floor 1/2 bath I am converting to a full.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Attached Images

Jun 20, 2005, 07:56 AM
    This is a bathroom on the first floor of a ranch.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 20, 2005, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by techboy
    Thanks for the fast reply. I have not torn the walls away yet, but I figure that the vent will sit either directly behind the toilet or to the left or right of it within a foot. The room is 5' X 7' (very small). The tub drain will sit almost directly over the main and I am installing a corner sink. I am doing this job myself and there will be no inspection. This is the first floor 1/2 bath I am converting to a full.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!
    I don't know how to put attachments on in this site. However I can E-mail you a lay out if you will give me your E-mail addy. Cheers, Tom

Jun 20, 2005, 09:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    I don't know how to put attachments on in this site. However I can E-mail you a lay out if you will give me your E-mail addy. Cheers, Tom

Thanks Tom!

My Address is [email protected]

Jun 20, 2005, 10:46 AM
    Tom,

I Thought I might have trouble figuring this out but you have TOTALLY solved my problem in no time at all. Thank you very much for your help! My understanding is that I will connect the closet to the 4" main directly and then tap the Lavatory into the vent and feed the main. One other question, I will have to go through a few studs (load bearing) for my vent tap. What Dia. Pipe should I use for that?

Also, my whole drain system is copper, should I do the new in PVC? If so, where should I do the conversion?

Thanks Again..
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2005, 05:08 AM
    Tom,

I Thought I might have trouble figuring this out but you have TOTALLY solved my problem in no time at all. Thank you very much for your help! My understanding is that I will connect the closet to the 4" main directly and then tap the Lavatory into the vent and feed the main. One other question, I will have to go through a few studs (load bearing) for my vent tap. What Dia. pipe should I use for that?

Also, my whole drain system is copper, should I do the new in PVC? If so, where should I do the conversion?

Thanks Again..
    I would convert to PVC at the 4 X 2" combo coming off the main. A short stub of 2" copper with a threaded adapter soldered on the end will make the conversion easy. From there simply thread in a PVC adapter and you can run the rest of the job in PVC. Good luck, Tom

Jun 21, 2005, 06:29 AM
    Thanks Tom,

How big should the vent tap be from the lav to the vent?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2005, 06:47 AM
    Vent
    Thanks Tom,

How big should the vent tap be from the lav to the vent?
    To vent the entire bathroom group make the vent 2".
    Cheers, Tom

Jun 21, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Tom,

I did some work to find exact location of vent, how does this drawing look?
    Attached Images

Jun 21, 2005, 12:55 PM
    To vent the entire bathroom group make the vent 2".
    Cheers, Tom

How about this for a final?
    Attached Images

Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2005, 02:45 PM
    How about this for a final?

Looks good to me. Is the toilet vented by a heel inlet in the closet bend?

Jun 21, 2005, 03:33 PM
    Looks good to me. Is the toilet vented by a heel inlet in the closet bend?

I am not sure, any any suggestions about that connection are more than welcome, I figured I would "wing it" when I open up the walls. The toilet vent should connect above the sink correct? Or does it not matter.
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 21, 2005, 04:15 PM
    I am not sure, any any suggestions about that connection are more than welcome, I figured I would "wing it" when I open up the walls. The toilet vent should connect above the sink correct? Or does it not matter.
    Are you quite sure the toilet needs a individual vent? In my area it would be wet vented by the lav vent. Some local codes require all fixtures by vented. Ours doesn't. Tom

Jun 21, 2005, 05:20 PM
    Are you quite sure the toilet needs a individual vent? In my area it would be wet vented by the lav vent. Some local codes require all fixtures by vented. Ours doesn't. Tom

I'm not sure at all, I just thought that it wouldn't hurt it to vent it because it was so close, it was just a guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One toilet drains into another [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a house with a toilet upstairs and another down when we flush the upstairs one the downstairs one overflows can anyone please help me with this problem?

New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help! My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it...

Garage Bathroom Remodling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks! My husband and I are creating living space from our attached garage. ( he starts weeping now! ) We have a toilet drain and a 2" vented sink drain plumbed in the existing bathroom. We are raising the floor about 23inches off the floor slab and want to expand the bathroom to include a...

New bathroom sink drains slowly [ 3 Answers ]

I am finishing my basement. Shower is done, toilet is done, just installed vanity, sink, faucet, and drain. But the sink drains really slow when there is a small amount of water in the sink. But if I fill up the sink fairly full, then open the stopper, the water drains very quickly. Two...

Bathroom remodel question (putting tub where WC used to be) [ 3 Answers ]

Not sure exactly how to connect to the 4" cast soil pipe that the house has, but, as the title says, I'm trying to connect a 1.5" or 2" tub drain to the 4" cast pipe (that's been in place for many, many years, and is pretty crusty). Any recommendations on a good sol'n to this? Thanks, Jeremy

View more questions Search