Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wowweeee64 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2012, 05:10 PM
    What does an employer need to charge you with theft
    I quit my job.. How long after does an employer have to file criminal theft charges against me? And what kind of evidence would they need to file the charges?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2012, 05:14 PM
    Where? The employer doesn't file. He reports the theft to the Police and then it goes from there.

Statute depends on where and how much.

They need proof - or what they think is proof. Video, money missing, proof of receipts but the money isn't in the register, depends on how the stealing was done.

I assume you did steal and are concerned?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2012, 05:18 PM
    They just call the police and report it, the SOL varies on first how much money was stolen, a felony may have a SOL from 1 to 3 years that they have to charge you. ( even longer in some places)

The amount of evidence varies by each DA and if they think they have a case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I Have to Tell My Employer I Have an embezzlement misdemeanor charge? [ 2 Answers ]

I went to my probation officer today and she told me that I have to tell my current employer (that I've had since before my conviction) that I have an embezzlement charge. But even on my application they never asked if I had an misdemeanor nor did they ask if I had a pending charge. Just if I was a...

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Can my employer charge me for ss taxes he owes on me? [ 1 Answers ]

I am an employee of a small company. My employer pays me a salary, plus a commission after I sell beyond my salary. He also charges me for his portion of the ss taxes he owes as my employer. I also pay my own portion. Is this legal?

View more questions Search