Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    htaylorallen Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2012, 11:24 AM
    Wiring for ac condenser fan motor and capacitor
    My new ac condenser fan motor has an extra wire,where does it go?
    My new motor is a dayton 1/6 hp 208-230 volt rpm is 1075

My old motor has 3 wires wires BLACK,BROWN,PURPLE,new one has BLACK,BROWN,PURPLE, AND BROWN WITH WHITE STRIPE.my new capacitor has 2 clusters of 4 posts,my old capacitor has 3 clusters,2 which have 4 posts,and 1 with one post

Originally from the old ac motor the BLACK wire goes to the switch.Also from the old ac motor the BROWN and PURPLE go to the old capacitor There is a RED wire that connects from the switch to the Old capacitor.. And a Yellow wire comes from the compressor to the One post on the old capacitor If you could help me I would appreciate it
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Apr 6, 2012, 11:49 AM
    You are going from a 3 wire configuration to a 4 wire config. Not a big deal and it is done all the time.

You are changing the run capacitor out so that is good.

Pull the lead off (after discharging) the fan side of the dual run capacitor. Leave the rest of it alone. The common and herm side are working for the compressor only and we just leave them be.

Take the two brown wires (br and br/wht) and put one on each end of the new capacitor. Doesn't matter which side.

The other two leads go to the load side of the contactor.

JUST CHECK OUT THE SCHEMATIC THAT CAME WITH THE MOTOR TO VERIFY.
    If you have a heat pump one lead will probably go to the contactor and another to the defrost board relay.

Just pay attention to where the wires are now and take pics, draw anything to keep it straight.

Also a tip: don't pull the old motor off until you pull the fan blade off - if at all possible. It is easier to pull the blade and less likely you will bend it or some how FUBAR that. Take it from someone who has done it...
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 6, 2012, 03:28 PM
    You nailed it thermal. Only thing left is to mount the new cap. Just make sure to strap it in so it can't flop around and you should be all set.
    JBBrewster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2012, 11:46 AM
    This is a different person chiming in. Maybe ThermalMedics can help me.

When I connect my Brown/WHite wire to the capacitor, it creates a load on the motor, noticeable slows down the fan, the fan overheats and then cuts out.

If I leave the Brown/white off, my fan will start and go at ful rpm.

As a related question, I have enot changed the other wiring and now can't seem to get the compressor to come on. Any thoughts?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Condenser fan motor turned the wrong way after capacitor changeout [ 8 Answers ]

I had a dual capacitor for the compressor and condenser fan fail. Since I could not find one on Sunday, I contacted an a/c repair to fix what I already knew was bad. They replaced the capacitor and noticed the condenser fan rotating in the wrong direction after the repair. Their fix was to turn...

Air conditioner condenser fan motor capacitor? [ 4 Answers ]

The Condenser Fan Motor Capacitor on my TRANE AC was replaced Sept. 2010, I had a handy man come to my home to do a repair for something unrelated and he took look at my AC and said he should replace the Capacitor. If I didn't I would burn my unit out. I wasn't home at the time a friend was and...

Condenser fan motor or capacitor [ 5 Answers ]

I noticed my outside unit buzzing the other day, and the fan was not running. The unit is about 7 years old. I changed the capacitor yesterday, and the unit worked for about 5-10 minutes, but then shut down again with the fan stopping and the buzzing again. I'm 99% sure the buzzing is coming...

AC Fan Motor Capacitor Wiring? [ 3 Answers ]

HI! 1st Post Here. I replaced my AC Fan Motor and the Capacitor that came with it was 1/4 the size of the original capacitor. It had 2 Posts (4 Connectors each) and the original had 3 Posts 3 Connectors each) which were labeled. No labeling on new Capacitor G21-930. New motor is 1100rpm, 1...

Wiring issue from fan motor to capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

I am changing out the condenser fan motor on my Carrier Comfort series ac unit. I had a GE 1/4hp motor with three wires and I went to Grainger and got a universal replacement for it. However this motor has four wires of different color. So my original motor had Yellow (common) and Black (line) from...

View more questions Search