Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    superstar18 Posts: 380, Reputation: 5

Mar 18, 2012, 08:39 PM
    What do you say when you follow up on a job application?
    I sent in a job application on Saturday when should I call to follow up on my application and what do you say?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 19, 2012, 07:56 AM
    The best thing to say is "I sent in an application last week, and I was just checking to find out if you'd received it and if you need anything further from me." Give them at least a week to receive it and process it, especially if it's a job that's likely to draw a large number of applicants. By asking if there's anything more they need from you, you put yourself out there as someone who actually cares about the job and who is on top of the idea that the application is only one step along the way.

Good luck!

Mar 21, 2012, 10:03 AM
    OK thanks I just did what you said and should I follow up again like in a week. Sorry I have never done this before and what should I say again.
    mattasmith Posts: 14, Reputation: 4

Mar 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Superstar18, if you followed up on the phone the first time, then follow up in person the second time. Ask to speak to the hiring manger or person in charge of hiring and introduce yourself and ask about your application. If you are feeling okay about the situation, you could show that you really want to job by asking for an interview right there on the spot. Or, if they look busy, you can ask to schedule an interview with them at a more convenient time for them.

This will show that you have initiative, confidence, and dedication. Having been in charge of hiring others myself, I think these qualities would make any job applicant stand out. I hope it works for you!

Good Luck!

Mar 22, 2012, 05:46 AM
    Glad I could help. I agree with mattasmith. Wait another week, then follow up in person (unless, of course, the phone call left you feeling that you would be annoying them by doing so--you can tell by the frazzled tone of the HR person to whom you spoke ;)).

Mar 25, 2012, 08:47 PM
    He didn't seem annoyed by me at all, but wouldn't asking for an interview seem pushy? And what would I say to him in person because I have already asked about the applications already?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 08:57 PM
    In this economy and while the world is searching for jobs, mention you still haven't heard back and would it be possible, since you are standing there in person, to be interviewed.

Mar 26, 2012, 07:39 AM
    I don't often disagree with Wondergirl, but this time I do. Asking for an interview on the spot might be construed as rude. The HR people are already overwhelmed by applications and resumes. Showing up in person "because I was in the area" is fine, and it does show some additional interest. But showing disregard for the HR person's busy schedule is a little more than I would recommend. I would just ask if there was anything more you could do while you happened to be there--forms to fill out, more information, copy of your driver's license... whatever--then go on your way. If there's someone available to interview you on the spot, I'm sure the receptionist/secretary/assistant will say so.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 26, 2012, 08:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolmarm97 View Post
    I don't often disagree with Wondergirl, but this time I do. Asking for an interview on the spot might be construed as rude.
    I agree with that too. The job seeker would have to "take the temperature of the situation" and decide on the spot if asking for an interview would be a Good Thing to do. At my library, had someone done that (and they did), we would have seized the moment and conducted a quickie interview to get the lay of the land with that person and then told him, "sorry" (if he was obviously inappropriate) or "we will call you for a more in-depth interview for next week when we interview others." The size and type of the company may determine how workable my suggestion is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Job application help [ 7 Answers ]

A job asks on an application please list awards and/or leadership positions held (work or school what's should I say because I was never on honor roll and I have only babysat, but I have done volunteer work.

Solicited job application [ 1 Answers ]

Write a solicited job application inrespose to an advertised position for a marketing executive for a consumer products company along with a one page profile about yourself.

State job application [ 11 Answers ]

What I can do If I know that a person lied on his state job application?

Job application [ 15 Answers ]

When the job application asks" Are you a convicted felon" what do you say?

View more questions Search