Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    job62 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Neighborhood feud
    We just had two new neighbors move into the two houses next door to us. Between the two of them, they have six dogs (they bark continuously). Because of a severe health problem, I asked them if they could quiet down the dogs. (Now I wish I never would have said anything). Anyway, when I go to sleep at night they shoot, I assume a bb gun at my windows, they leave the dogs out purposely whenever any of my family or myself go outside, they have other people in the neighbor walk their dogs by our house and crap in our yard, etc. The one neighbor, has a partition on the back of their home, with mini-blinds all the way around it, and they watch my every move from there. I keep telling my parents what is going on, but my father thinks it is all in my head. Even after they have egged my vehicle three times, and he has seen it. He has also seen the dog do, in our yard many times. My father refuses to let me call the police. I am really starting to feel un-safe in our home now. When this first started, me and my father argued over this terrible, and he through me out of his home. I had no where to go, and went to a friend and borrowed some money, and eventually got my own apartment. Unfortunately, the apartment caught fire, and I received 3rd degree burns over 50% of my body. I had to move back home with my parents. Now the feud has escalated! Especially over the weekends. There is a lot to this story, which has been going on for over three years now, and is getting scary. I owned a dog of my own for over 16 years, I am a dog lover myself. Like I said the only reason I even said anything is because I am gravely ill. This problem with the neighbor is really getting out of control. What do I do? It is really causing my health to go down hill quick. Before these two sets of people moved in, everyone in our neighborhood got along great, now it is a living hell around here. If my parents even find out that I'm discussing this with anyone, I fear my father will tell me to get out again.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 16, 2012, 07:01 PM
    Unless you own the home you live in, or rent a room in that home (for which you're paying rent), you really don't have any rights. You're a child living with your parents. If your parents, the owners of the home, don't want to call the police and cause more problems, then there's really nothing you can do but move out on your own.

If the situation is unbearable, then move. If they do any damage to your personal property, or you, then you can call the police, but then you run the risk of upsetting the people that are paying for you to have a roof over your head.

Obviously this isn't bothering your parents. Are you sure this is as bad as you think it is?

How old are you? Are you old enough to move out on your own? That may be your only option if you find this situation unbearable.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 16, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Have you contacted animal control in your area and asked them about local ordinances for your area ? You don't have to say who you are just ask for information. There may be laws they are violating and from there you have decisions to make. Are the people who moved in renters or owners ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2012, 07:07 PM
    Assuming you are over 18, ( you moved out already) then call he police, you don't have to have mommy or daddy say it is OK. If they are disturbing the police, call. If dogs are barking in the middle of the night, call the police. If you have holes in the glass from BB guns, call the police.

If the dogs are running loose in the yard, call animal control.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2012, 07:32 PM
    Are there local laws that require dogs to be fenced in or on a leash in your town? Take pictures of them out in your yard and as Fr_Chuck said... call animal control... most localities have noise abatement laws... if yours does and they are barking at 3am... call the cops. If they really are shooting your windows out with BB guns call the police and yes a bb gun from a good distance (over 200 feet) WILL put holes in the glass... ask me how I know.

And honestly... I think they have better things to do than spend all day looking out the windows just to watch you, and they are likely doing them. That's being paranoid.

I think you might need to talk with a councelor, because you can't expect your neighbors to move or change their lives just to suit you. And if they are violating any local laws... the police will deal with them. And if they aren't then you just have to learn to live with it.

Because understand... if you start screwing with them and they weren't doing anything... you can count on them starting just for payback... trust me.. if someone pushes me, I push back. And I've had paranoid neighbors accuse me of stuff before I wasn't doing... they ended up being made to pay for it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 16, 2012, 07:39 PM
    I do agree that the OP should call the cops if the issues are as big as he says.

Here's my concern about this post.

He says that his parents (the owners of the home he's living in) do not want to call the cops. So I have to question if this is really as big an issue as the OP says it is.

Also, another issue I have. Unless he's paying rent, or contributing to the household, why should he disrupt the apple cart? If the owners of the home are content, should he be allowed to cause more discontent with the neighbors? If he's not paying to sustain the home, should he have a say, or should he just move out if he can't live with it? Obviously his parents are fine with what's going on, if anything is going on.

I realize that my opinion may not be a legal one. But I know I'd be very upset if one of my children, children I support, children that I provide a home for, children I feed and clothe, caused a war with my neighbors when I didn't feel there was a problem.

If there really is such a huge issue with these neighbors, why wouldn't the OP's parents do something about it? There's no legitimate reason why they'd remain quiet if the problems are as big as the OP suggests.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2012, 12:16 PM
    When a neighbor is obnoxious SOMEONE retains an Attorney, advises the neighor he/she is being obnoxious and a claim could be made for intentional infliction of emtional stress, a claim which might or might not be covered by homeowners insurance.

Any person being harassed has the power to call the Police. You don't have to be the homeowner.

You say "your" and "your parents". Who owns the house?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Same sex relationship feud [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so as silly as this may seem my ex girlfriend whom I dated for 3 yrs and lived together for 2 years is threatening me to take my dog away which shegave to me as a gift almost 3 yrs ago she knows that I currently don't have a legal status in this country . What legal procedures can she take...

Lets play the Feud! [ 5 Answers ]

My family and I were on Family Feud in August of 2000, (when Louis (sp?) Anderson was host - bummer - ), and the TV station did not supply us with a copy of the episode. One of our friends managed to tape it when it was played on TV, but the vhs tape has been well used, and is starting to become...

What a neighborhood [ 1 Answers ]

Devotion Dave went on a business trip for a few days. When he returned, his wife reported that the dog really missed him. "She spent every night at the front door, waiting for you to come home," she said. "What an example of devotion," Dave replied. "I wonder if you'd be that concerned...

View more questions Search