Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amanda_k_james Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 06:36 AM
    My puppy keeps throwing up white foam?
    My 4mo old puppy has been throwing up for two days and he can't keep water or anything down he is throwing up his water and stomach acid I don't know what to do
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
    You don't know what to do? Take him to the vet, that's what you should do. Sounds like it could be parvo, and if it is, it's deadly if not treated promptly.
    amanda_k_james Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 06:44 AM
    Its not parvo he's had all his shots
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 06:47 AM
    Yeah, I knew you were going to give me a disagree, but let me tell you that the shots don't guarantee that he won't get it. I've experienced it. I have a dog that had all her shots and she STILL got parvo. Luckily I was smart enough to take her to the vet for an exam and to be treated. She's still with me today.

Even though a dog has has their vaccinations this doesn't guarantee that they still won't get the disease, it only lessens the chance. Some dogs, depending on their breed, are more susceptible to it than others.
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amanda_k_james View Post
    its not parvo hes had all his shots
    Oh yeah, and if you HAD posted this to begin with my advice might have been slightly different, but probably not.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 06:50 AM
    Vomitting can mean anything from parasites to blockage and anything in between. A puppy NEEDS to stay hydrated, they are at the highest risk for becoming dehyrdated when they are sick. J9 is right, you need to get her to the vet. The only advice we can offer is to keep her hydrated, even if it means force feeding water. Like J9 mentioned, even vaccinated pups can fall victim to parvo. Parvo has many different strains and is quickly mutating.
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 07:24 AM
    Another reddie... THANKS!
    teachnk Posts: 275, Reputation: 50

Mar 14, 2012, 07:51 AM
    I do agree that a vet is the best route. The foam often means an empty stomach. Is the pup vomiting food as well or is it only when he has an empty stomach? I did have a pup who needed 3 smaller meals a day (instead of 2) for the same reason. Of course I did have a full checkup to ensure there was nothing else wrong. If he isn't keeping food or water down this is a SERIOUS emergency and needs to be addressed right now. Get to the vet today, the sooner or better.
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
    There can be several common reasons for your dogs current upset stomach.did you receantly switch his dog food to an entirely different kind? The quick transition may have been to abrupt for his system esspecially if he was used to eating the old kibble for a long period.you should gradually introduce a new diet by mixing the new food in with the old.did he manange to get himself any food scraps that are toxic to dogs such as grapes,raisons,chocolate,avacado,babyfood,alchohal ,macadimia nuts,onions,or cofee? Extreme food allergies have been known too cause bellaches.was he receantly gnawing on a bone or cheap toy? That crumbled and could have becomed lodged in his throat? Any of these reasons could explain his vomiting (throwing up).examine the intensity and consistency of your dogs vomit (sonds gross I aggree!).has he been projectile vomiting? This force could mean a foreign object is stuck inside him and his body is working to get it out immediately.does the substance have any obvious food appearance in it? This is most likely due to him eating a food that is toxic or spoiled.as his vomit is foamy he could just have an upset stomach from a switch of diet or stress due to new changes in life.dogs eat grass to introduce vomiting grass serves as natures remedy for this purpose.if ou see your dog consuming abnormal amounts of grass then he has a bellyache but don't expect the grass to cure everything.you should fast your adult dog for 12to24 hours after you notice him vomiting.if you have a puppy then the fast should not go on for so long due to his smaller body.this will give his stomach a rest and increase his ability to regulate his digestive system.small amounts of water are OK.keeping ice cubes in a bowl will provide him with a constant amount of water as they melt throughout the day.at the end of the fast you can offer him a small bland diet that is 2/3 white rice and 1/3 boiled chicken breast.if he is able to keep the food down then give him another meal 4 hours later.if it looks like he is recovering steadily then you can continue with his normal sized meals on the bland diet for the next couple of days.I will say one thing j9 it is not parvo just because your dog might have had it doesn't mean this dog does and your answer may have been different but it probably still would have been unhelpful.amandakjames good luck with your puppy:).
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
    At the moment the issue does not seem to be the actual cause, of course the cause is important and you need to find out the reason for the vomiting.
    The issue at the moment is that the puppy is 4 months old and has been vomiting for 2 days, playing around and experimenting with food is not going to do anything at this point his hydration and electrolyte balance is what is important right now.
    He needs to see the vet, I think that is the point that J-9 and Aurora Bell and teachnk are trying to get across.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Another reddie...THANKS!
    Haha don't worry I got one too. Lol
    Dogs Expert

Mar 18, 2012, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by celticfc View Post
    there can be several common reasons for your dogs current upset stomach.did you receantly switch his dog food to an entirely different kind? the quick transition may have been to abrupt for his system esspecially if he was used to eating the old kibble for a long period of time.you should gradually introduce a new diet by mixing the new food in with the old.did he manange to get himself any food scraps that are toxic to dogs such as grapes,raisons,chocolate,avacado,babyfood,alchohal ,macadimia nuts,onions,or cofee? extreme food allergies have been known too cause bellaches.was he receantly gnawing on a bone or cheap toy? that crumbled and could have becomed lodged in his throat? any of these reasons could explain his vomiting (throwing up).examine the intensity and consistency of your dogs vomit (sonds gross i aggree!).has he been projectile vomiting? this force could mean a foreign object is stuck inside him and his body is working to get it out immediatly.does the substance have any obvious food appereance in it? this is most likely due to him eating a food that is toxic or spoiled.as his vomit is foamy he could just have an upset stomach from a switch of diet or stress due to new changes in life.dogs eat grass to introduce vomiting grass serves as natures remedy for this purpose.if ou see your dog consuming abnormal amounts of grass then he has a bellyache but dont expect the grass to cure everything.you should fast your adult dog for 12to24 hours after you notice him vomiting.if you have a puppy then the fast should not go on for so long due to his smaller body.this will give his stomach a rest and increase his ability to regulate his digestive system.small amounts of water are ok.keeping ice cubes in a bowl will provide him with a constant amount of water as they melt throughout the day.at the end of the fast you can offer him a small bland diet that is 2/3 white rice and and 1/3 boiled chicken breast.if he is able to keep the food down then give him another meal 4 hours later.if it looks like he is recovering steadily then you can continue with his normal sized meals on the bland diet for the next couple of days.i will say one thing j9 it is not parvo just because your dog might of had it doesnt mean this dog does and your answer may of been different but it probably still would have been unhelpful.amandakjames good luck with your puppy:).

And how do you know this for sure?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
    This Celticfc person is really beginning to get on my nerves.

That's great that this person has advise to give to people asking... but to reddie everyone that IT doesn't agree with is absolute BS!

Someone needs to report this person... Rules are if the information is incorrect than reddie it... not reddie a post simply because they think their answers are better...

Ugh..
    aespires Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 11:44 AM
    For three days my dog have be throwing up white stuff it looks like spit to me he is four months old and won't food just drink water
    aespires Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2012, 11:46 AM
    Drinking?
    Quote Originally Posted by aespires View Post
    For three days my dog have be throwing up white stuff it looks like spit to me he is four months old and wont food just drink water
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 31, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Please ask each question ONCE.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 31, 2012, 04:22 PM
    You should really start your own question rather than tagging it onto another, but what I'm gathering is your 16 week old puppy is throwing up for three days, will not eat and only drinks water, correct?
    For starters a vomiting puppy will quickly dehydrate. So it's best to get them to the vet for a check.
    Is there any diarrhea? How is her attitude, is she lethargic or depressed?
    Does she have a habit of getting into things like garbage or chew up toys?
    Has she been vaccinated or dewormed?
    Fact is it could be a number of things, only your vet can tell you for certain, we can only guess.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 month old shih throwing up white foam [ 7 Answers ]

My 3 month old shih tzu puupy was throwing up white foam. He threw up several times. He ate some food and water and since has been playing around. I noticed he was eating something off the road when I took him for his afternoon walk today. He has one last shot left.

My cat is throwing up white foam and I can not afford a vet [ 29 Answers ]

My cat is almost 4 years old we recently brought a dog home , right now money is itght and can not afford a vet bill but hehas been throwing up white foam like stuff and not eating or drinking anything what can I do to help him fel better and get some fluids in him!

Dry heaving and throwing up white foam. [ 3 Answers ]

I have four 6 1/2 week old dachshund, all of them are dry heaving and periodically throwing up white foam. There is also a 6 month old dachshund that is at our house a lot that also vomited white foam last night. They are all still eating, drinking, playing, and going potty normally. I just...

Puppy throwing up white foam? [ 7 Answers ]

My puppy is throwing up white foamy stuff, what is it? What is wrong with him?

Shih Tzu throwing up white foam [ 3 Answers ]

My family's 2 year old male Shih Tzu has been throwing up since yesterday. It is a white foamy substance with no signs of anything in it. He seems to be upbeat as usual. Just a few days ago one of our oldest female Shih Tzu had to go into surgery to remove a stone in her bladder. She to threw up...

View more questions Search