Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shunge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 08:17 PM
    Reasons my dryer won't turn on after changing the cord?
    I have a GE dryer. It worked perfect before I moved! The apartment I moved into had a 3 prong outlet so I changed the cord. The first cord I installed was no good (I'm assuming since the timer didn't work and there was no heat)so I got a new one. Now that the new cord is on the dryer won't even turn on, it doesn't even show any signs that it's even getting power. Is there anything else I can try I really just can't believe it would just die like that...
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 08:36 PM
    The first question is can your dryer be wired for a three wire cord? Do you have the installation manual?
    shunge Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Yes it was originally a 3 and I changed I to a 4 to work with the plug in my old apartment.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 9, 2012, 09:22 PM
    Then you must have not installed the 3 wire plug properly. Did you remove and discard a bonding strap between the neutral and ground when you installed the 4 wire cord?
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2012, 02:40 PM
    On the back of your dryer you have a terminal block with L1, N (Neutral), and L2 plus another terminal (G) on body of dryer. There should have been a grounding strap connecting N to Ground. You put the hot wires to L1 and L2 which will have brass terminals on cord. The Neutral (N) MUST be connected for the drier to run, and N should be wired to ground, too. You can make a grounding strap or wire to connect Ground to Neutral. You had to have hooked the Neutral on plug to ground instead of to neutral on terminal block and this neutral supplies the neutral circuit to the switches that make the dryer run. Without it nothing will run.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reasons for a non-custodial parent on changing a child's last name in nj? [ 2 Answers ]

What would be reasons a non-custodial parent would be granted the ability to change a minor child's last name in New Jersey when both parents were never married?

Is it possible to change a four prong dryer cord to a two prong cord? [ 4 Answers ]

How do I change a two prong outlet to fit a four prong dryer cord for a stackable washer/dryer unit? Will this cause a problem with the circuit? I have 100 voltage according to the breaker box.

How to change a3 prong cord to a 4 prong cord for an electric dryer [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into a house that has a 4 prong outlet and my dryer has a 3 prong cord, how do I go about changing the cord. I called an electrician put the job is to small for them to come. My manual only has about the where to put the neutral and the grounding wire but does not explain which screw to put...

Dryer cord [ 2 Answers ]

How do I change an old 3 prong dryer cord to a new 4 prong cord. My dryer has 3 on it but new house has 4 prong receptale.

Dryer Cord [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite dryer, it can be three or four wired. It has a four wire cord on it now. I need to replace it with a three wire. Can anyone give me a diagram how to hook up the connections? XLX55:confused:

View more questions Search