Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drelili Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 12:54 PM
    Marry green card holder?
    I live in NY. I am on an H1B visa. If I get married to green card holder how long will it take for me to get my green card?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2012, 12:55 PM
    I don't believe a green card holder can sponsor anyone else... in any case you have to apply for your own immigrant visa,. and its up to INS if they will or won't grant it to you... but being married to someone with one is no guarantee you will get it, not even if they are a citizen. Its not even automatic for children, particularly adult children.
    drelili Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2012, 01:13 PM
    According to USCI a green card holder/permanent resident can sponsor their spouse or unmarried child under age 21.
    My question is how long does it take to process?

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=be1ea6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCR D&vgnextchannel=be1ea6c515083210VgnVCM100000082ca6 0aRCRD
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2012, 01:22 PM
    I have personal friends that have been trying to get their adult children here for over 5 years with ZERO luck (they have been naturalized themselves) they can't even get a VISA to visit... it took me over two years before I got one for my wife and it took multiple applications, and I am a citizen.

I also have a friend that's been unble to get his wife a green card after over three years of trying WITH the assistance of a lawyer..

Your answer is it could be a very long time... and its likely to not be accepted on the initial application. The INS is neither efficient or fast. And its also possible it may never be granted. You MIGHT actually get lucky.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marry to green card holder girl? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am in nepal and my fiancˇ in usa.. she is green card hoder(1 yrs) We are planning to marry recently... How long does it take to me to get visa and green card of us...

What happens if I marry a green card holder? [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently on H1B visa. I am going back home to stamp my visa on my passport soon. I am getting married this year to a green card holder. Is everything okay with that? What if I marry him before I stamp my visa? (my status has already been changed to H1)

F1 will marry with Green Card Holder. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend is F1 visa. I am green card holder for 1 year. We will get marry soon. What process that should be done? How long does it take? Thanks, SP

How long it will take to come in usa after marry with green card holder? [ 2 Answers ]

I am green card holder in usa and I want to marry guy outside usa. What is the best way to bring him in usa as soon as posiible?

View more questions Search