Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    culverdd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2008, 05:40 PM
    Using AI lenses on Nikon D200
    I need some insight on using my stock of auto focus Nikon lenses on a Nikon D200 body. I am aware that the focal length of these lenses will change due to the sensor size being differnet that the 35mm film size. My concern is performance. Can expect the same image quality with a lens that is not specifically designed for a digital sensor? The bulk of my ptotography has been on 35mm transperency film. Can I expect to match those results with my existing lenses mounted on a D200 body. I am especially concerned with enlargements in the 8" x 10" to 16" x 20" range. Any insight will be appreciated.
    mcphoto Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by culverdd
    I need some insight on using my stock of auto focus Nikon lenses on a Nikon D200 body. I am aware that the focal length of these lenses will change due to the sensor size being differnet that the 35mm film size. My concern is performance. Can expect the same image quality with a lens that is not specifically designed for a digital sensor? The bulk of my ptotography has been on 35mm transperency film. Can I expect to match those results with my existing lenses mounted on a D200 body. I am especially concerned with enlargements in the 8" x 10" to 16" x 20" range. Any insight will be appreciated.
    In most cases, performance will be much BETTER with a non DX (DX = Digital, smaller image circle) or "film" lens on a small-sensor body. If you read a lot of lens reviews, you'll find that most lenses are sharper towards the center, with softness problems being closer to the edges & corners. Using a "film" lens on a digital body uses the "best" part of the lens only.

While this is a "general" comment, in the case of Nikkor lenses most are engineered to be of high quality - even some of their "consumer" priced glass is fantastic.

The bigger issue with higher-end lenses like Nikkors is sharpness at a given aperture (and shooting digital makes this easy to test for each lens). The majority of 35mm SLR lenses are sharpest in the f4 - f8 range. Take your favorite lens, stick in on a tripod and shoot something like a billboard, a page of text, a skyscraper with hard window lines, at each f-stop (adjusting the shutter speed for correct exposure of course). Open each image in Photoshop/Etc, crop and zoom to the same section of each, and compare the results. You may be very surprised at how rough f@@ can look, even with a $1000 lens.

Hope that helps - MC (20+ year Nikon user, commercial shooter)
    zanzadsandip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 12:26 PM
    Yes

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For High Dynamic Range photography: D80 or D200? [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to do High Dynamic Range photography and am aware of the specs of the 2 camera models among which I am considering for purchase: The Nikon D80 does 2 to 3 exposures in 1/3 to 2 EV increments. The Nikon D200 does 2 to 9 exposures in 1, 2, or 3 EV increments This having been said,...

Nikon View Freezes [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have updated Nikon View on a computer I am working on and now it freezes whenever I try to use it to navigate through folders. I can view photos in it fine, I can create new folders but as soon as I try to change from the folder it starts and go up 1 level or open a subfolder it just...

Nikon D200 use with SB800 Flash [ 3 Answers ]

I am having a hard time getting good fill flash results. I have a Nikon D200 and a SB800 flash. When I put my flash on TTL I cannot get my camera to give me a faster shutter speed than 15 at F8. I do not know if it is me or my camera. Why is this and what should I do?

Nikon d200 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here. I am now in the point in wich I have to get a more professional Camera. I'm thinking of the nikon d 200. Does anyone know just how professional It is?

Nikon FM10 Filter [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a nikon FM10 and I want to buy a polarizing filter.. which one should I use?

View more questions Search