Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samoth09 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2012, 07:54 AM
    Putting up interior wall with truss roof in existing home
    I would like to put up an interior wall to separate my dining rm from the living rm. The dining rm has an 8ft ceiling that runs parallel to the wall I want to put up. I had asked the people who build the home and they said no problem. I have read so many articles on truss uplift I don't know what to think anymore. The ends of the new wall would connect to the side walls.My concern would be the top plate. I have access to the attic to put blocking in to nail the plate to but am afraid of the truss uplift. Any ideas please.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 09:05 AM
    This might help you Truss Uplift

Mar 2, 2012, 06:18 AM
    Top plate with truss roof
    If putting up a new wall in a room with a ceiling already up and a truss roof wouldn't the new top plate go up if you have truss uplift? How to solve this problem or what to do.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 07:23 AM
    I don't know how many Habitat houses I have built, all with truss roofs, but we have never experienced an issue with interior walls either parallel or perpendicular to each other.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Truss lift is a moisture issue so maybe where you are working moisture isn't any issue.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2012, 01:51 PM
    If the new wall goes across the trusses, screw the top plate to the truss and screw the bottom plate through the floor into the joists. You onle need a single plate for a non bearing wall.Use 3" coarse thread drywall screws. If it parallels the truss and you have attic access, place sleepers between the trusses and then screw to the. If you are really concerned, why not install a partiton wall that doesn't tie to the trusses? Used to be very popular in contemporary homes and gives you airflow across the top.

Mar 3, 2012, 08:08 AM
    To mao641
    Ma0641 do I nail the sleepers to the inside of the truss
    Uber Member

Mar 4, 2012, 09:19 PM
    Yes,between the trusses and flush with the ceiling. Should be about 22 1/2" long and16-24" apart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm removing a 12' interior wall that is supporting the middle of my truss. [ 0 Answers ]

Im removing a 12' interior wall that is supporting the middle of my truss. What size header should I use and would a 4x6 beam be on both ends be enough to support it?

Pros-cons of putting metal roof over existing shingles [ 2 Answers ]

Would there be problems with moisture,or extreme heat issues if installing a metal roof over existing shingles.

I am building a truss roof over a flat roof.the size is 9'wx9'd.where do I begin this [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a gable roof over a flat roof at our church.It is 9'wx9'l.How do I determine the height of the center rafter?

Roof truss [ 1 Answers ]

I am building a gambrel storage sheld 12x16 sheld I need to know how wide of a truss will I need, and how can I build my own, what kind of a angle do I need to cut for the peck of the truss, what degree does it have to be and how much of a hangover, do I need a hangover? give me some info...

Frost in the interior wall- brand new home [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All, There is approximatelly 6 months that I moved to a new home, this is our first winter. This weekend the temperature were very low and a lot of wind. We notice that in the bedroom wall (facing the wind direction-front of the house) formed frost in the corners, along all baseboard/floor...

View more questions Search