Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Happy2balive Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 06:12 AM
    Can alcohol affect your blood tests?
    Just wondering because my doctor always puts "no alcohol 72 hours" on his patients requisition forms for standard blood tests such as cholesterol, electrolytes, liver function, thyroid, etc. The nurse said that he is the only one that does this, and I was just wondering what his reason may be for this. By the way, I am not going to phone him and ask--I'm only curious not concerned. :)

Any thoughts?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2012, 09:02 AM
    Alcohol alters blood constituents. For example, increases red blood cell size MCV, and could also skew the results of a liver function test by altering the ratio of AST, ALT, GGT and other blood components providing misleading results.

In fact, in another context blood assays are often performed to check for previous drinking.

Ref. Am Fam Physician
    Happy2balive Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2012, 11:27 AM
    Thanks DrBill100--I guess I'm lucky my doctor cares enough to consider this when sending me for tests. I respect that and wonder why more doctors don't do the same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I take blood thinners, can I take nopalea or will it affect my blood count? [ 10 Answers ]

I take coumadin and need to know it taking nopalea will affect that or not.

Can losing weight affect alcohol strand tests. [ 7 Answers ]

I have had 2 hair strands done for alcohol, one negative 1 positive result is that I drink excessively, which I do not, I gave bitrth 8 months ago and have lost 3 stone in weight, which I didn't tell them, could this affect the result. Thank you

Blood tests or urine tests? [ 2 Answers ]

I usually have irregular periods. They sometimes come every month, and sometimes a/f doesn't come but every other month. I have never gone three months without a/f. I took 4 pregnant. Tests. All urine home pregnancy tests. They all came out negative. I am wondering if I take a blood test, can...

View more questions Search