Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cbomb2290 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 01:01 PM
    Why is my dog messing in the house?
    She is a 7.5-8 year old collie husky mix and the most wonderful dog I have ever known. We got her when she was 5 and never had problems with her until this last year she would potty in the house and occasionally pooh we switched foods. Problem solved. But within the last 2-3 months she's messing and pottying in the house. She is never alone as her best friend, our cat, and her have free roam of the house all day. Her potty schedule has not been changed even in the slightest. We took her to the vet, he gave us antibiotics for a possible urinary infection but its taken care of now and her problems have not gone away. The vet did a full physical and found absolutely nothing else wrong with her. My husband is fed up and has given me limited time to resolve the issue before I have to get rid of her. Any and all advice is appreciated!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 04:06 PM
    When and how often do you feed her. When is she turned out or exercised? Crating and retraining are likely in your immediate future. Dogs "think" in terms of either always or never. Once they start pooing in the house the always switch has beeen thrown.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Do you know for a fact that the dog was 5 when you adopted her? Was she a pound puppy? If so.. she could be older than 7/8 years old. In which case, I would suggest to stop the free roam of the house.

Older dogs get senile and forgetful just like older people. Instead of forgetting to lock the door and to throw away bad food, they forget that they were house broken and you basically have to start treating them like a puppy.

I would suggest a crate. Crates are not bad or evil. They keep good dogs good. It also keeps the mess in one area instead of everywhere in your home. You can get a fairly good sized crate as well. Some dogs accept the wire crates better than the closed, plastic crates, however; the wire crates do not contain mess.

If that is not an option for you, than maybe a "safe room" would work better for you? This would be a room that is rarely used (if possible) and is easy to clean up in, such as a bathroom or a laundery/mud room.

The concept with both ideas is to put the dog there when you cannot watch her. If you are busy doing house work or if you are gone, put her in there. Naturally, dogs won't mess where they sleep or "live". If you can establish that the crate or the room is hers, her pottying in the house may become less and less.

I have two 14 year old girls. They are 100% house trained/crate trained... every couple of months, they both go through a little stint of peeing in the house. What I do is make sure they are either outside if I'm not watching them or in their crate. Every once in awhile they forget or I forget and a mistake is made. Just don't make a big deal about it. You're dog literally cannot help it.

Cleaners do make a huge difference. Bleach, ammonia based products and so on are not good at cleaning up the smell of urine or feces. I've had luck with Nature's Miracle, but there are tons of enzyme-based cleaners that help kill the smell of urine/feces. The key to them is to SOAK the area, let dry and then clean up with water if it is carpet. If its hardwood floors or tile, mop with a wetter than usual mop. Swiffers and things like that don't work for dog smells..

If you want to explore medications, talk to your vet about some behavior medications. They're not for every dog, but maybe one will work for you.

Your husband wanting to get rid of her for this is a death wish. Older dogs with house training problems get euthanized immediately at a majority of shelters (yes, even "no-kill" shelters). If you are both sick of her behaviors, please put her down yourselves instead of dumping her in a shelter. She knows you.. she trusts you... it will be a peaceful ending instead of being scared and handled by strangers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does my dog suddenly start messing in the house and family houses. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I have a 3 year old siberian husky it's a ***** and she is not spayed either. All os sundden she has messed in my mother in laws house the last night in our house throu the night she has messed again. Hen we just took her out and she had a good run then we came home and she has pooed in the...

Why is my dog suddenly messing on the floor? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fixed one and a half year old male basset hound blue heeler cross. I've had him since he was 9 weeks old, he house trained quickly but now all of a sudden after all this time he has started to poop on my floor, its always the same spot so I put up a baby gate so he couldn't get to it. That...

Dog suddenly messing in house? [ 2 Answers ]

So my almost 8 yr old lab mix has taken to messing in the house. It's only during the day if I leave for a few hours. I haven't worked for about a year so I'm usually always home unless I go out to run some errands. It is never more than a few hours and I let her out before I leave and...

My german shepard keeps messing in the house? [ 8 Answers ]

My german shepard is nearly 1 and he has taken to poo protesting in the house so to speak he doesn't do it all the time but at least twice a week is getting out of control. We have had the pooing and him eating it no matter where he did it in or out the house, this is now followed with throwing...

Old Dog Won't Stop Messing In House [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Boxer that is about 11 years old. She is beginning ot have some obvious health problems, but I still think she's able to function and without pain. We have begun bringing her in the house since its colder weather and her back legs are starting to bother her. She has always been in the...

View more questions Search