Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csjolliff11 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 09:15 PM
    First time shoplifting, first time offender
    I'm 18, it was my first offense, I was caught shoplifting with my sister. $150 total all together, but they separated it $60 and $90. We went to jail and got processed, and out on bond. We cooperated very well. Please help, what's going to happen in court?

What do you think the judge will give me? I plan on pleading guilty. Pleas help, I'm super scared.

Feb 25, 2012, 09:18 PM
    This is in Illinois sorry I forgot to add
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
    The following are the maximum offenses possible, assuming you both have no priors. The actual penalty will depend on the judge, overall circumstances, etc.

If the value of the stolen property is $300 or less and it was not stolen directly from another person then the theft conviction is Class A Misdemeanor which carries a possible sentence of up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $2,500. Many shoplifting charges fall under this category.
    - Source.

Feb 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
    Okay thanks what are the odds that ill go to jail that ny main concern what if I show I'm improving myself getting my her possiably a job I have 2 kids and one has major health problems when a baby he's 4mo now
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
    Why are you pleading guilty ? Have you already talked with the DA. You are not likely to get a first offender program unless you ask about it, and have it arranged prior to sentencing and pleading.

Kids, their health means nothing to the court, they may even say you should have thought of the kids before you stole.

Feb 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
    Getting my g.e.d. sorry

Feb 25, 2012, 09:31 PM
    Okay thanks what are the odds that ill go to jail that ny main I'm pleading guilty I did it I don't want a trial I want it over with and I only got arrested went to jail got processed Nd paid my bail got a court date and went home what should I ask and who should I talk to do you think o will go to jail
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2012, 09:35 PM
    Csj... no one can say for certain if you are going to go to jail. No website will be able to predict the outcome of anyone's court case. All we can do is tell you what the law says and make suggestions.

The only real way to deal with any legal problem is with an attorney. I suggest you get one, a Public Defender, if needed, and work with them to get this situation handled appropriately.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2012, 09:38 PM
    Yes, I would say you plead not guilty ( if this is the first hearing) and ask for a court appointed attorney. What you want is a first offender program, so your record will not be public.

It is rare to get jail time for shoplifting. Normally it will be a fine and probation, and perhaps community service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting in foreign country, first time offender. [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 and I have been traveling in Canada for a few months now. A week ago, I was caught shoplifting at the Bay. I stole a dress for $55. I stole the dress because I believe that there is actually something wrong in my head that causes me to steal, because when I do steal things ( only a...

First-time offender shoplifting [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 60 yr-old, unemployed caught shoplifting first time of S$46.00 valued. What will be the penalty in Singapore law?

View more questions Search