Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bwalsh1971 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Bradford White Pilot light questions
    We have a Bradford White Defender water heater. Pilot went out on day of huge windstorm. Cannot get it to relight. I am very paranoid when dealing with gas. So, I depress the red button, and then click the "lighter" several times, but to no avail. About that time, I start getting freaked out about an explosion(although I never smell gas, I'm sure its there). Is there any danger of an explosion as long as the value is set to "Pilot" and I just keep clicking the lighter?
    Thanks!
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2012, 01:30 PM
    Sometimes the piezo generator doesn't want to put out enough spark. Can you get to the pilot or is it sealed? If you can get to the pilot, use a long fireplace match, hold down the valve @ pilot and use a match. Pilots are very small and it sometimes takes a bit of holding down to get the gas to flow.
    bwalsh1971 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 01:44 PM
    Thanks for the quick response! The pilot is sealed as far as I can tell. Is there any danger to holding down the value and repeatedly hitting the piezo generator?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 02:55 PM
    No danger from the gas with what you are doing. Pilot should not actually be sealed but it may be hidden behind a small removable aluminium door.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
    If the heater has a piezo ignitor then I believe it is behind a sealed combustion door that should not be removed UNLESS the consumer replaces the chamber door gasket over to a new gasket as required by law to keep the combustion chamber gas vapor proof... ;)

Hold the pilot button down and repeatedly press the piezo ignitor (like 20 times if needed) until the pilot lights then hold the pilot button down another 30 seconds and then release and turn the gas valve to on and then set the temperature to approx. 120-125F maximum!

If this fails to work then you'll need to purchase a thermocouple with door gasket from a bradford white distributor (local plumbing supply store) and swap out the thermocouple and the door gasket!

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bradford White water heater will not light [ 5 Answers ]

Today I installed an new in box Bradford White natural gas water heater. It has a white Honeywell control valve with piezo igniter and LED. I verified that there is gas to the control valve, but the heater will not light. I do not hear any gas flowing when I press the gas control valve in the...

How to relight my bradford white water heater? [ 4 Answers ]

Tried to re light my Bradford White water heater. I pushed in the pilot knob for 90 seconds and then pressed the ignite button twice with the pilot knob pushed in for another 60 seconds but the water heater will not light.

Bradford white water heater ignitor [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible for me to replace the ignitor on my water heater I have the new electric valve

White rodgers gas valve 36c67-175 pilot light troubleshooting? [ 7 Answers ]

Older unit has a standing pilot. New couple still doesn't sustain pilot. Old Coleman unit. Can I rebuilt gas valve or should I just purchase one. Would prefer to build it.

Bradford White Water Heater [ 1 Answers ]

I have a residential, natural gas water heater made by Bradford White. The following is printed on the sticker: Bradford White Corporation 321 Norriston Rd, Ambler, PA 19002 Model: MI403T6EN12 Serial: TH6451583 Dash No: -337H-ALT Trying to find an owner's/installation/operation manual...

View more questions Search