Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrbigg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 06:38 AM
    Will my dismissed felony charge effect my employment opportunity with chase bank?
    Back in 2003 I was charged with BURGLARY and the charge was dismissed, I applied for a loan processor position with JP Morgan Chase yesterday 02/21/12, I didn't complete the application because I am in the stage of applying for expungement, I saved and drafted the application because I wasn't ready to apply due to the charge, but they still called me and went over the job details. I told the woman that I only saved the application and didn't apply yet because I need to get a charge off my record, but didn't tell her what the charge was, she said she still wanted to go over details, and then she ask me if I wanted an interview, I told her yes but again I have something that needs to be taken of my record, I now have an interview next week. On the application they ask if I was convicted of or plead guilty to a felony and I put no, but I did put my misdemeanor charges on there of TRESPASS and DISORDERLY CONDUCT, both are convictions that are going to be on the expungement, So I am asking will the dismissed charge effect me getting hired
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 23, 2012, 07:53 AM
    It will be something in the mind of the interviewer. If there are other applicants with no arrest record who interview as well as you or better they may go with the other person. The arrest does not automatically disqualify you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
    Depends on the other candidates - also depends on whether you need to be bonded and whether you CAN be bonded.

If someone with your same credentials applies without an arrest in his/her background I would assume that person will get the job, not you.

This is a tough economy and employers can be picky.

You seem very positive that your record will be expunged. Why is that? It's very often a nail-biting scenarior while the decision is made. Your arrest(s), expunged or not, will continue to appear on certain Police records, visible to the Government and certain other agencies.
    UncleSamRUINS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 04:42 PM
    Look dude, I'm going through this problem right now. I work for Wells Fargo bank and I plead guilty with a deferred judgement for Intent to Deliver Marijuana in July of 2011. The problem is- they don't care if I have a deferred judgement. Because I was charged with this, it is considered an Act of Dishonesty or a Breach of Trust - this more than likely will prevent me from receiving a Fidelity Bond to continue my employment. And if the Financial institution is FDIC insured, you guessed it - you'll need to be bonded.

It just so happens our company is running a Fingerprint Background check in 2 months... as a talented expert in my field with over 5 years of experience... I still suffer the consequences of being irresponsible and it hurts. The Federal government doesn't care about my 3 year old daughter, and neither does my employer. Funny how when you turn your life around, sober up for the first time in 10 years (I've been clean for almost a year now) you are penalized and cannot live a normal life.

I recommend you don't put NO on the form, because you'll be considered a liar and it will be an immediate ground for denial of your employment. Be honest - that's all you can be.

Here is your reference : search "FDIC INSURANCE ACT SECTION 19"

This country is going straight to Hell and it's happening right now. Once you enter the system, there is no way out.
    ataclob Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2012, 01:53 PM
    The company called me I was hired. Now their doing background check . Honestly I didn't put yes on my application . I know I made a mistake getting felony as my first offense of petty theft but got discharge for it. I was charge petty theft I made a mistake going with wrong crowd. I am nervous I hope this won't effect me getting hired and getting this job. Can you please give me any suggestion please what I can do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2012, 02:35 PM
    First if the charges were dropped, then there was no trial, no guilty and you can not explunge a conviction that did not happen

OR did you take a plea deal and served a first offender program ( which is guilty but charges are deleted after you finish) If you properly did the terms, that can be explunged.

So your details are not clear.

May 29, 2012, 02:58 PM
    I plead guilty and went to a school program . I have 6 months probation and it happen April 2010. I paid the fine and appear to court as no contest. I just pray it won't effect me getting this job.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 03:15 PM
    A guilty plea will, yes. You ADMITTED you were guilty as charged.

May 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Ok tomorrow it will be my first day of work . I just hope I will work tomorrow and there is no problem about getting this job. Thank you and Amen!
    Uber Member

May 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
    I'd save the "amens" for tomorrow.
    vickievel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
    If you got the job and they cleard to you start work you or OK congratulations! Chase clears everything before they let you start work so you good to go. You disclosed your charges.

My case is similar but except I did not diclose a 20 yrs old theft case. I totally forgot about it and it never came up when I did my own finger prints through the state. All I can do is pray I start the next training class.
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2012, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vickievel View Post
    If you got the job and they cleard to you start work you or OK congratulations!! Chase clears everything before they let you start work so you good to go. You disclosed your charges.

My case is similar but except i did not diclose a 20 yrs old theft case. I totally forgot about it and it never came up when i did my own finger prints through the state. All i can do is pray i start the next training class.

Are you a bank teller with Chase?
    Storm2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 08:23 PM
    FL softball brawl landed me with Felony charges, in which was dropped by the state. How come while volunteering for summer camp TN pulled my record & was able to see the Felony red flag. Hmm! I was told by FL attorney I need to seal or expunged records. No court date, no prison time and still I have to get it expunged and pay $1750. Being in the Insurance/Banking field is preventing me from getting my license transferred and moving, let alone find employment. I pray the grace of God over this puzzling situation.
    Storm2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
    We should create a job fair or career site that is Felony friendly LOL
    "Give a Felon a break!"

Who will hire me?

And to think I didn't do time or have a court case and wasn't the one that injured the girl. Wow!
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2012, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm2000 View Post
    FL softball brawl landed me with Felony charges, in which was dropped by the state. How come while volunteering for summer camp TN pulled my record & was able to see the Felony red flag. Hmm! I was told by FL attorney I need to seal or expunged records. No court date, no prison time and still I have to get it expunged and pay $1750. Being in the Insurance/Banking field is preventing me from getting my license transferred and moving, let alone find employment. I pray the grace of God over this puzzling situation.

Do you have a question?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 30, 2012, 06:51 AM
    Yes, the way it is worded, "plead guilty" means you have to explain any charges you plead to.
    Also a explungement only works on the official government background search, many banks will use private search companies, and if those records are in them,they are never taken out. So expect the bank to see them and expect not to get the job for lying on the application.
    victor2525 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2012, 11:23 PM
    I am currently employed by a bank but was charged with a felony of 1 charge of grand theft completely unrelated to my job, just a poor judgement of hanging with the wrong crowd. I have accepted a PTI program and will be eligible to get my record expunged after I'm done with the program which basically means it will take 2 years to get it all off my record. I am worried if I send an application to the FDIC to approve me to keep working for the bank I will be denied and might lose my job or if I should just keep quiet and wait for the expungement process which will be done in 2 years. Are there any red alerts that go off at the FDIC for any bank employees who were just arrested/ put into pti programs? All feed back is greatly appreciated.
    agbennett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2012, 12:06 PM
    So what happened?? My hubby has a similar story and he is at the job interview now. Not a position for a bank, but he was charged with a felony and a misdemeanor. Both have been dismissed, but not yet expunged. REALLY worried and need some thoughts.
    pnguyen_09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2012, 04:47 PM
    Hey, I am kind of in the same position. Can you let me know what happened with your case? Were u hired on permanently after the background check?

Thanks
    Muffin305 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2013, 04:00 PM
    I charged with Identity Theft but the charges were dismissed will this affect me getting a job. Pls anyone I need answers I really want this job

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a dismissed case will this prevent me from employment [ 2 Answers ]

I got a theft by check charge about a year ago, but it was dismissed. Will this prevent me from passing a background check from an employer?

Equal Opportunity Employment Legal Assistance [ 3 Answers ]

How do I find a forum concerned with ex-felon reentry?

Could you lose employment for getting a DWI felony charge [ 5 Answers ]

Could you lose employment for getting a DWI felony charge or could you get the charge reduced after a year to a misdemenaor due to extrenuating circumstances

Charges dismissed; do I reveal for employment purposes? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my first time using this site and was hoping someone can help me with these questions: 1. At the age of 17, I was charged with three misdemeanor offenses in Texas: - Assault - Driving while license suspension; and - Carrying a Weapon (stick) 2. Two months later,...

Employment opportunity for F2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, This is Yashodha. I have a concern regarding the employment opportunity in US for F2. But first of all, would like to appreciate your site. This is one of the best sites I have visited. I have F2 visa, Done my Engineering in ComputerScience. Have a total of 7 years experience in...

View more questions Search