Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulmd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Can a collection agency get your license suspended if you don't pay for an accident ?
    There were no police called and I never hit her car yet a collection agency is saying I'm in subjugation so could they do anything to me like suspend my license?
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 02:58 PM
    You're probably going to need to give a lot more information to get an answer to this.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
    Only the secretary of state for your state can suspend your license. Where do you live and what is the name of the company calling you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2012, 05:36 PM
    Were you ever sued? Do you have insurance?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2012, 05:47 PM
    What State? Only the STATE DMV can suspend a license. The Police can request that it be suspended, a Judge can order it to be suspended but only DMV actually suspends it.

Are you sure you aren't in SUBROGATION, which is a totally different matter. If so, your insurance company is suing you to collect money it put out on your behalf. It can get complicated.

I deal with insurance all the time and would need more info on the "accident" in order to answer you.

Did the collection agency threaten to suspend your license? Why do you think that could/might happen? I don't understand where the question came from - what the exact situation might be.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paulmd View Post
    ... I never hit her car yet...
    Yet she, her passenger(s) &/or her car were injured &/or damaged? Did you cause the injury or damages?

Quote Originally Posted by paulmd View Post
    ... so could they do anything to me like suspend my license?
    If you were uninsured, they might be able to get the authorities to suspend you license, yes. Depends on which state you are in.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 08:43 PM
    It sounds like someone is suing you or at least turned a debt over to a collection agency.
    Collection agencies will lie, I would always have a recorder if I talked to them, tell them you will be recording the phone call, I bet the hang up or change their tune.

I personally refuse to ever talk to a collection person on the phone and demand they only contact me by mail. But no they can not take your license away.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection agency lien on drivers license [ 5 Answers ]

A collection agency has a lien on my Washington state drivers license. If I file bankruptcy on the account, will the lien go away?

Accident on Suspended License [ 2 Answers ]

I just got into an accident while on a suspended license. My first thought was to see if the other party would settle this without reporting it but they had already called their insurance company. The accident was not my fault and I'm insured, any idea what will happen when I file a claim with my...

Accident under suspended license [ 4 Answers ]

I have a suspended license but eligible for my sr22. I was driving home from work and hit the median avoiding a tire on the road. I did not get an issued an accident report, even though a cop came. I was lucky to be able to put the car on the side of the road an pick it up the next day. My...

Collection Agency license to collect in my state? [ 1 Answers ]

I sent a letter to a collection to give me information the verify's they are license to operate in my state (Florida) they have not responded. How do I find out if a collection agency is license to collect in my state :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search