Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BritaniRashae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2012, 04:33 PM
    My 5 month old puppy won't stop jumping and pulling and biting her leash, Help?
    I have a 5 month old lab/shepard mix. She is spayed and even house broken. She sits, lies, and shakes my hand but for some reason when I put her leash on her she acts as though I'm trying to kill her and does the death roll to try to get it off. Not only is this annoying but also embarrassing. I have tried the treats, praises, and all, and I am at a loss. PLEASE HELP!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 11:46 AM
    I have had quite a few pups who think the lead is trying to kill them. The key is just to be patient, the penny will drop eventually and they will get used to it.

Does she have a problem with wearing a collar at all or is it just the lead?
    If she doesn't like the sensation of something around her neck you could look at getting a harness or a gentle leader for her.
    Harnesses strap on around the dogs withers and around the chest. The lead then clips on at the base of the dogs neck.

Gentle leaders look a bit like a muzzle or a horses bridle and the lead clips onto what is essentially the side of the dogs face.

Here's a photo of my little feral during his lead training. I coaxed him along by putting just a bit of pressure on the lead and offering treats in front of him. It took a while but he eventually caught on.
    Attached Images

j_haynes228 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2012, 06:04 PM
    We got our puppy used to it by leaving the collar and leash on him around the house so he could drag it around and get used to the weight of it. He got used to it pretty quickly. I am curious what type of collar you are using? If you are using a choke collar I would try a regular collar instead.
    poopmcgrittle Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2012, 11:10 PM
    Just put a leash on her, in the house and let her walk around with it, or put it on her and hang onto it and just sit down in a spot with her, so she won't feel like she's being pulled around or anything, you have to get her used to it. Then she will come around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When my 4 month puppy goes out side on a leash she stops moving. [ 12 Answers ]

When I leave the leash on my puppy at home, she's fine and doesn't bite it or care about it. But once I take her outside, she walks a couple steps and sits down. Can someone tell me how I can train her to walk with me?

How do I get my dog to stop pulling his leash [ 2 Answers ]

My dog pulls on her leash and my mom said that if she doesn't stop that she will put her in the pound

How should I stop my puppy from biting? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my puppy she's a 8 week old lab and she's pretty awesome except her biting how do you think I should stop the biting?

9 month puppy won't stop biting! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a wonderful 9 month old English Bulldog named Bear. My husband and I took her home at 8 weeks old and quickly realized that she was a handful. Bear is a high energy bulldog with an extremely playful character. One problem we still have not been able to break is the playful biting. Her...

View more questions Search