Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hello1996 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Feb 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
    My parents are divorcing. What is wrong with me?
    I have always been a happy child :)I don't like telling people how sad I am inside because I don't want to sound like an attention whore. I come home to me breaking down and crying and wanting to cut myself but I always think : people have worse lives than me, why be sad ? But I don't know, if I do not cry I be aggressive the next day. My parents are divorcing and I am afraid of people yell so I can't stand when they fight, I always get in between. I lived in a shelter for the past 7 months and this is the third time. I just don't know what to do, I feel like no one can help me... Maybe you can ?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 07:49 PM
    Your parents are divorcing. What is wrong with THEM?? They should be the ones who are sad and crying and wanting to cut themselves. But they're adults and in control and can do whatever they want to do.

You are sad and crying and want to cut because it's the only thing you can control right now--how you feel and how you react to this disaster. You can't control your parents. You can't make them love each other and stay together. You can't fix their marriage. You feel helpless.

Years ago, I had a young client, his parents' only child. His parents told him they wanted to divorce. He didn't want that to happen, so instead of being sad and crying and cutting himself, he instead got sick. He was sick enough that he had to go to the hospital. His parents were scared and worried about him and would stand by his bed hugging each other and holding hands. The boy smiled inside. Being sick was good! His parents had stopped fighting and were acting married again!

The boy got better and came home. Before long, the parents were fighting again and were talking about divorce again. Guess what happened. Yup--the boy got sick again and ended up in the hospital. As long as he was sick, he was in control, and the parents didn't fight or talk about divorce.

Fighting and divorcing parents don't realize what effect they have on their children and how helpless and unloved they make the kids feel. Have your parents been to counseling? This would be a good time that your family goes to family counseling. It might not save the marriage, but it will help a lot to give everyone a voice as to the pain being suffered and find out what supports there are.

It would even help you learn that your parents love you tremendously, even though they apparently can't live with each other. And you need to know that you are loved.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 07:50 PM
    Nothing wrong with you. Your parents have relationship issues, that is their problem.
    You should just leave the room and not "get inbetween" them, that is not your job or duty.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
    Why are you in a shelter?

The feelings you have are normal for a child going through divorce. It's a scary time, and I'm sure you feel very helpless, unable to control your own destiny.

I don't know if there's money for counseling, seeing as you've been living in a shelter for the last 7 months, but you should be able to talk to a counselor at school, or a teacher you trust.

Do you have siblings, an Aunt or Uncle you trust?

Talking about this with someone will help you a great deal.

I wish you all the best.
    Hello1996 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Feb 20, 2012, 09:22 AM
    Alty : I was in a shelter because my mom couldn'ttake the yelling but it was the third time when she didn't return. We still visit him but he always yells, its like he has a pull on my mom and I do not trust anyone, no one...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Children "Divorcing" their parents [ 2 Answers ]

Can a child petition the court to have visitation with a non custodial parent terminated in the state of Nevada? The boy lives with his father and wants to have his mother's visitation stopped or drastically reduced because of her drug use and living conditions.

Divorcing my parents [ 24 Answers ]

Am I elgible to be emancipated? My mom doesn't care about me or at least if she does she doesn't show it in way. She makes me feel horrible about myself and all I do is try to help her be happy. She is getting married at the end of the year to a man she met online he has 3 kids and she has 2. we...

Parents Divorcing, But 17 yr old wanting to move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 yrs old and my parents are getting a divorce. They agreed on join custody, but I want to move out of Indiana to Utah to live with family. I'm not sure if I'm old enough to be emanicipated but I want to live with my family in Utah. My father is not giving consent for me to move, but my...

Parents Divorcing & my little sister is in the mix. [ 1 Answers ]

My name is Britney NeSmith and I am a 20 year old college JR. I am the oldest I have a brother who is 17 and a little sister who is only 11. Recently my brother left home and now lives with some family friends. This change in our lives was very hard on us all but mostly on my Mom. While gogin...

View more questions Search