Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Angelphish Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 12:28 AM
    How to stop my new dog from attacking my other dog?
    I got a two year old half blue healer half German Shepard female dog from the shelter. We have had her for three months. She has attacked our seven yr old rat terrier/chihuahua three times as of tonight. First time she bit him he had a jacket on so we thought it was the jacket. Second time they were outside and she bit him on the neck and back. Left huge puncture wounds that I super glued. Tonight we were going to bed and she just ran over and bit him when he was sleeping. She's a herding dog so she tries to herd our four cats which doesn't work out that well for her. I really love my dog but maybe it's time to find a new home I'm not sure what to do. If you have any answers please let me know! Thank you
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Is there something wrong with the older dog? Sometimes dogs can sense weaknesses in other dogs and will routinely attack them.

Besides rehoming yor new dog, I'd suggest some obedience classes. This new dog sounds a bit out of control and needs some manners.

This dog may also be dog aggressive and under socialized. Unfortunately that is the risk you take in adopting a shelter pet.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2012, 05:21 PM
    Wait. You superglued puncture wounds shut? Super Glue?

Feb 10, 2012, 09:31 PM
    She is a great dog sits and stays until I give her the que to eat comes only when I call her once... I can go on. I don't think she sees him as a dog maybe as a fox because that's what most small dogs are... She doesn't attack the cats. No nothing is wrong with the older dog he's just smaller. Yes super glue works wonders! They even use it in war. I learned this from my mother which was the head nurse in the military. It is better than stitches for vanity.

Feb 10, 2012, 09:35 PM
    Oh and when I got her she was in a kennel with another dog that was smaller than her..
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2012, 11:18 PM
    Just because your dog responds when you say something, doesn't necessarily mean that the dog is well behaved or even socialized.

Dogs show different behaviors in different situations. The ones that survive the shelter are very good at adapting to a certain envrionment. Once the stress of kennel life is gone, the dog will show its true colors. Rescue dogs will keep to themselves for weeks to months before their "true" colors come through. And unfortunately, you're little dog is turning out to be a jerk to your other dog.

Obedience classes are much more than teaching your dog "sit" and "stay". Its bonding with the owner, learning to behave around other dogs and people and learning to cope with themselves in different environments with different people and different pets. I wouldn't suggest Petsmart training.. that is beginner obedience, even in their "advanced" classes... You need a different type of training environment... maybe something like agility... not quite the discipline of obedience, but the dog still has to listen to you and follow your command.

Maybe, your dog needs an outlet like that? Sometimes dogs that have a lot of energy will display as aggression or destructive behavior.

As far as the new dog thinking your older dog is a fox... not likely. Neither breed in this mix is a hunting breed. The healer and shepherd are hearding dogs.. they heard things... not hunt things. Huge difference. Neither breed was bred to go hunting. I would be safe to assume that a healer/GSD mix is a pretty aggressive mix.. both dogs have a high drive...

Maybe intervein next time you see the new dog picking on your older dog. Don't be subtle about it either.. mean it! Because your older dog is old... this new dog is wanting to make her presents known that she is in charge. You could be dealing with dominance problems.. in which case.. obedience is what will cure it.. Neither dog is in charge, you are. Obedience teaches both dogs who's in charge and who isn't.

Behavior training takes more than just a few obedience classes or getting your dog to sit when you tell it to. I still suggest you need to look into some classes of some sort. Give the new dog an outlet to let off some steam, teach the new dog to follow you, and teach the new dog to be a good dog. She isn't right now. You can't base her behavior off whether she sits and waits. She is being very bad.. recognize it as a problem and try and fix it. Obedience, obedience, obedience... This dog needs guidance...

Feb 11, 2012, 09:13 AM
    The rat terrier is fox... Thank you but I'm asking for training methods I understand that dog training is inevitable. Thank you for your answer : )

Feb 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
    Oh I understand sorry I'm tired..
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2012, 09:39 AM
    And I'm giving you training advice. Go to a trainer. Training at home isn't all that effective because it teaches the dog to sit and stay in the home and no where else. Getting your dog to stop being mean to your other dog STARTS with obedience classes.

You won't regret going to some type of training class...
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelphish View Post
    She is a great dog sits and stays until I give her the que to eat comes only when I call her once... I can go on. I don't think she sees him as a dog maybe as a fox because that's what most small dogs are... She doesn't attack the cats. No nothing is wrong with the older dog he's just smaller. Yes super glue works wonders! They even use it in war. I learned this from my mother which was the head nurse in the military. It is better than stitches for vanity.
    Yeah... Medical grade tissue glue. Can count a lot of times where actual superglue has been used and has caused significant tissue damage/necrosis..

Feb 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
    Research have found that the cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) sold over-the-counter and medical cyanoacrylate glues are apparently identical in composition and is the same as the tissue adhesive used extensively during the Vietnam War. Some midwives have even used over-the-counter Super Glue (Krazy Glue) successfully in lieu of suture to close the perineum.

Feb 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Thank you lucky.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelphish View Post
    research have found that the cyanoacrylate glue (Super Glue) sold over-the-counter and medical cyanoacrylate glues are apparently identical in composition and is the same as the tissue adhesive used extensively during the Vietnam War. Some midwives have even used over-the-counter Super Glue (Krazy Glue) successfully in lieu of suture to close the perineum.
    Also:
    Superglue is made of a substance called cyanoacrylate. When it comes into contact with liquids like water, it forms a plastic mesh that will keep skin, or anything one wants glued, neatly bonded together. However, regular superglue has methyl alcohol, which creates heat in order to produce the bonding effect of superglue. Thus using superglue to close a wound in deep tissue could result in killing some of the surrounding skin cells. (Can I Really Use Superglue To Close My Wound?)

Id also like to add a paragraph from the same page you got your quote from: "Although not labeled as such, over-the-counter Super Glue products contain methyl alcohol, because it is inexpensive to produce. Cyanoacrylates cure by a chemical reaction called polymerization, which produces heat. Methyl alcohol has a pronounced heating action when it contacts tissue and may even produce burns if the glue contacts a large enough area of tissue. Rapid curing may also lead to tissue necrosis. Midwives have not noted such reactions because minimal amounts are being used for perineal repair. Nevertheless, with a greater toxic potential, over-the-counter products are inappropriate for use in wound closure. "

- Seen the above happen, several times in the veterinary field. I've also seen animals be fine with it's use, but more often than not we have to debride dead skin to allow proper healing. Just saying. Anyway it's besides the point of the post, just thought I've bring it up cause I've seen adverse effects to its use.

Feb 11, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Well he is fine fully healed my husband cut his finger he is fine I cut myself on the outside of my thigh with chicken wire very deep and I am fine.
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 04:59 PM
    I don't want to comment on the super glue/surgical glue debate, I simply want to say that is not a good idea to seal up a bite wound with anything at home. A simple small tear in the top layer of skin maybe, but only after very close inspection. In a puncture wound bacteria and hair are deposited into an under the skin. You are basically sealing all that up in there. This bacteria sets in motion the bodies response to fight the infection by sending in a multitude of white cells. Since dogs have what is called subcutaneous space under the skin that leaves for a larger area than you are not able to see on the surface. What you can wind up with is a big, nasty infected pocket or abcess that will rupture. A puncture wound is grounds for a vet visit and oral antibiotics,maybe even some sutures, so be careful how much doctoring you do at home, odds are it will be much cheaper to treat in the beginning, rather than waiting until there is a need for sedation, debridement and possible surgery.
    I mention mainly because you said yourself the puncture was huge.

Feb 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
    Thank you for your advice. I live in the middle of BF. I used sterile water to clense the wound, then cloral prep then triple antibodic patched him up for two days with guze and medical tape. Second day I used cloral prep again and glued the skin back together not the wound. My husband has cystic fibrosis and has a port in his chest and takes IV antibiotics. I have a lot of supplies but no animal hospital. Just my mother a phone call away and the Internet. I do a lot of research before jumping to a conclusion of a solution. I thought about stitching him but decided the best option was natural healing and glue.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
    I think maybe instead of focusing on what supplies were used to heal a wound, we should focus more on how to prevent dog fights so the op doesn't have to glue her dogs together again...
    LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 07:33 PM
    Agreed Lucky, and you had already done a wonderful job of that. I know my answer was not an answer to the original question, mine was a simple attempt to dissaude the op from sealing up a puncture wound should it happen again.

Feb 11, 2012, 10:10 PM
    Op?

Feb 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
    Original poster.. Thanks for the advice...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All of the sudden my female dog is growling and attacking. What is wrong with her? [ 1 Answers ]

It used to only be strangers she would growl at or one of the other dogs if they got close to her food dish. Now she is growling at my son and the other dogs if they get close to her when she doesn't initiate it. Any ideas?

Dog attacking a burglar [ 3 Answers ]

I want my dog to attack on command

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

Dog Attacking Another Dog. What To Do? [ 16 Answers ]

Hi, All! I house and dog sit on a regular basis at a home not far from where I live. There are three dogs - a Husky, Yellow Lab and an English Setter. Sometimes I give piano lessons at the same home. Adult student came over for a lesson this afternoon. Yellow Lab attacked the Husky and...

My dog won't stop digging! [ 24 Answers ]

Ruby and Labman, I have a dog, Kimmie, she is half lab and half either rott or dobie. Well, anyway, we cannot get her to stop digging up the back yard. She seems like she knows she is doing wrong because she looks up at the house before proceeding to dig. If she sees one of us she just mosies...

View more questions Search