Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    meltrol Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Feb 11, 2012, 06:59 AM
    Fiberglass or acrylic tub enclosure?
    I'd like to replace a 40 year old one-piece fiberglass tub/shower enclosure in our house. I've been to Home Depot, Lowe's and a couple supply houses. Obviously I'll need to get a 3 or 4 piece unit to be able to get it into the bathroom. I've seen fiberglass units and ones made of some sort of acrylic. Prices seem to be about the same depending on where you shop. My question is, which way should I go... fiberglass or acrylic? The acrylic would have one advantage for sure. It's easier to work with simply because I wouldn't have to wear gloves during the install. Ever ger a fiberglass splinter? Ouch! Other than that... any thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Bill
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 08:34 AM
    Hi Bill

Heck! I'm still wearing fiberglass in my left hand from a unit I installed back in the 80's... surgeons went in twice to get it all out but some was still missed and my body encapsulated some in a ball in my hand... can still feel the ball!

Hey! If you can find an acrylic unit that is priced similarly to fiberglass then this is a no-brainer! Go with Acrylic... much better product! Acrylic is easier to keep clean and much less likely to crack/show imperfections over time!

Good luck!

Mark
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
    I agree with Mark. I also prefer acrylic bath tubs. Tom

Feb 11, 2012, 09:01 AM
    Thank you Mark! Over the years I had some nasty fiberglass splinter from working on boats... the dust is bad enough let alone a glass spike in your hand! The only thing I can say in defense of fiberglass is: this tub enclosure lasted 40 years and the only reason we want to replace it is, it's "1970 pink." The next one doesn't have to last 40 years... that would make me over 100 years old! By then a 20-something year old nurse will be giving me sponge baths in bed.
    Bill
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
    I agree with Mark and Tom. Acrylic is a better product. Im a fan of the Sterling's, A Kohler Company.

Feb 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
    Thanks for the additional feedback gentlemen. Home Depot and one of the supply houses in my area carry the Kohler Sterling line. I'll have to take the wife along and pick one out. I don't anticipate any problems installing the tub and souround but I'm glad to know there's help available on this forum if I need it. The worst part will probably be the removal of the old fiberglass unit. I'd almost consider paying someone to do the demolition so all I have is the installation.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 07:00 AM
    Hi Bill

Tub removal is actually pretty quick/easy...

Cut the sheetrock about 3-6 inches above/all-around the tub/tub surround first and then remove all screws/nails installed in the nailing flange.

Now, remove the shower head/trim and tub waste trim and tub drain strainer (if present) and then disconnect the tub shoe from the tub by unscrewing the strainer assembly (use two screwdrivers crisscrossed across the strainer bars).

After that, use a sawzall (reciprocating saw) to cut the walls into manageable pieces (usually 3 or 4 pieces) and then cut the tub in two pieces and remove the tub.

Be careful NOT to let the blade of the sawzall go too deep into the wall... could hit wires, right?

Wear goggles, gloves and a dust mask, OK?

Good luck!

Mark

Feb 12, 2012, 07:59 AM
    Thanks for the removal guidance Mark. It's all pretty easy until I get to the reciprocating saw part. I itch just looking at fiberglass let alone actually working with it. I was thinking... instead of the reciprocating saw which makes really fast work of the cutting, how about a hand saw? Ever use one of those short, utility hand saws meant to carry in a tool box? They have teeth on them like a shark and cut very fast. They may not be meant for finish work where an absolutely clean, sharp cut is required but for all else I love it. In fact, I pretty much use mine for all hand cutting instead of the conventional long blade saws. With this short saw, I can cut slowly with short controlled strokes and keep the dust/debris to a minimum, having it just "gently" drop into the tub. Just my thoughts. The other issue I have to address is the home heat. We have hot water, baseboard heat running on outside walls including the bathrooms. In this case the butt end of the bathtub is against an outside wall and the copper tubing runs through the base of the tub and is picked up in the adjacent room where it again turns into baseboard heat. The heating contractor obviously installed the baseboard heat after the tub was in, simply drilling through the tub and right into the next room. Cutting the old tub out and leaving the copper tubing in place is not a problem but installing the new tub could be tricky. I'm thinking... maybe I should hold off on this project until the heating season is over. Then I can shut down the heating system, drain that loop, remove the tubing, install the new tub, then drill through the new tub and re-connect the baseboard heat... just like the original heating contractor did it. I'm just thinking out loud here because I don't like surprises. I really think through these types of projects before I begin.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 12, 2012, 01:27 PM
    Hand saw really won't work here... short strokes won't work on the base of the tub, for sure!

I'd recommend a fan in a window while cutting and wear long sleeve shirt/junk clothes so you can throw them out if you want.

Use a short reciprocating wood blade
    To make the least amount of dust... ;)

The heat pipe is pretty straight forward!

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How would you remove liquid nail from an acrylic tub enclosure front face [ 2 Answers ]

Prior owners used liquid nail to fasten wood planks on the wall which also was use on the front of a shower enclosure made of acrylic how can I remove the liquid nail and bring back the finsh.

How can I till if a bathtub is Plastic, fiberglass or acrylic? [ 2 Answers ]

How can I tell if my bathtub is acrylic, fiberglass, or plastic? It is the original tub in a 1989 "Homes of Merrit" Pine Manor mobil home. I have called the Dealer and Manufacturer and they were unable to give me that info. I would like to get the tub resurfaced.

Replace fiberglass tub and shower unit with steel tub and tile [ 1 Answers ]

Advice for putting in the enaeled steel tub in place of the fiberglass tub and shower unit? Also, from those with experience on getting the fiberglass unit out-Sawsall, etc. Steps you used and where to start sawing first? Thank you, one and all. GJ

View more questions Search