Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shasta45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2012, 06:39 AM
    "The price of gasoline will go up because of current world conflicts" is:
    A normative statement or a positive statement? This was a question on my economics 1010 quiz. I feel that it is an opinion but apparently it is a fact. I would appreciate any help understanding this concept. If I am correct, I need to be able to back up my basis for argument. Currently, my argument is that I cannot find any data or graphs to back up this statement and that I need a definition for "current" and for "world conflicts".
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Feb 8, 2012, 01:11 PM
    Recall that the difference between normative and positive statements isn't exactly the simple difference of opinion vs. fact, it's a little more than that. The former is a statement expressing a view that some particular state or condition is "best" or "preferred", while the latter is a statement regarding an economic principle, where such principle has become generally accepted as fact.

Yeah, at first glance it seems like the same thing, but there's a subtle difference. Suppose you tell me that a certain good has a price elasticity of demand of X, and so if the price were to drop by some amount p, you tell me that demand would increase by some amount d. That's your opinion, but that's not enough to make it a normative statement. You're simply making an observation concerning the accepted definition and calculation of elasticity. In fact, if your opinion that the good has elasticity X is correct, then your conclusion is also correct.

A normative statement, OTOH, is an opinion, but to be normative in the econ sense it has to be an opinion about what some state or condition is best or preferred. "Overall and on average, people are happiest when unemployment is P percent." Until someone invents an infallible Happy-O-Meter, such a statement can never be more than opinion.
    shasta45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2012, 08:06 PM
    Thank you so so much! That helped a lot! =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suggestions on real independent "world news" websites [ 0 Answers ]

Hi all, I've been looking for a "world news" website which I can read daily. I know some of you might say "hey, there are tens of websites for news" but when you look at them closely, they are mostly not reflecting the truth. Instead, they are influenced by "elite", lobby,Corporations and only...

Looking for an oldie song titled "Just Two Kinds of People in the World" [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to this site and I am looking for anyone who might know of a song from possibly the 60s titled "Just Two Kinds of People in the World"... or anything close to that. Thanks.

"Form" placed in "Microsoft Access" can be accessed from a "Button" in "VB.Net" App [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, Actually, I'm not very well in programming but a task is assigned to me related to .Net. Basically, there is a database in Microsoft Access. I have made forms in it which are based on queries to retrieve required results. I have also made graph of it. Now, I have to merge this...

Need helpd identifying singers on "WE ARE THE WORLD" music video ( with photos) [ 28 Answers ]

I only recognize: Lionel Richie Stevie Wonder Kenny Rogers James Ingram Tina Turner Billy Joel Diana Ross Michael Jackson

Cannot remember title of film about "parallel" world [ 1 Answers ]

I'm very vague on details, but... somewhere around 15 years ago I watched a movie on TV, if fact - it might have been a 2 or 3 parter, made for TV?? - - where a couple guys used a gizmo to transport themselves into a "duplicate" world. It was physically just like our Earth, but the rules of...

View more questions Search