Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    taut55 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Using a duct fan to circulate wood stove heat
    I have a wood burning stove in my living room and it often produces way more heat than I need for the room, so Im wondering if I can use some duct work, a fan, and an AC thermostat to spread the heat around my house and reduce my furnace running times. There are no existing registers in the room as it is an addition to an old house, so I'm thinking of taking the duct work through the attic the length of the house and then down to the basement to create a circulation of air. Can I put a duct fan in an attic? Will it be too noisey? Will it be cost effective to do? The house is about 60ft long, so probably 76ft of duct work would be needed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 06:28 PM

Most duct fans are not very strong and are used as a booster. To do what you are doing would require a small furnace fan in a plunum. Do you already have a forced hot air fan on a furnace? If so turn your stat to FAN ON rather than FAN AUTO. This allows the existing system to circulate tha air but you need to add a cold return in that room to get the furnace to puill the hot air out.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Nov 4, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Do you already have a forced hot air fan on a furnace?? If so turn your stat to FAN ON rather than FAN AUTO. This allows the existing system to circulate tha air but you need to add a cold return in that room to get the furnance to puill the hot air out.
    That's what I do to stir the air and move it around. I'm also going to install some relays to lower the speed of my forced air fan so its gently stirring the air instead of blowing cold air out the supplies. Wifey has complained of chills when walking past those registers.
    tinman180 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2011, 05:35 PM
    I have replaced my gas furnace with a wood furnace. I try to use the gas blower . I think it is blowing way 2 hard. I put a smaller blower on. It seams to not blow much at all. Should the blower be in the duct work. Or back of the furnace?
    gazzman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 04:22 AM
    Try turboheat go to www.turboheat.net.au

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ducting for wood stove heat exchanger and related. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have a wood stove in the basement capable of 70k BTU. I'm building a heat exchanger for it. I've seen similar configurations on other stove including a corn stove from Amazablaze and Cornflame. Most of these heat exchangers have a 12" round pipe for the heat exchanger exhaust... but I'm...

Supliment wood stove [ 3 Answers ]

I have a split fourer 60x30 half the downstairs is a living area with a wood stove to help heat in the winter. The wood stove is on the outside end wall of the house. I have vents up in the ceiling downstairs in each corner of the living area. My problem is the heat from the stove does not reach to...

Wood stove leak [ 6 Answers ]

We just installed a wood stove. We are getting a couple of leaks from the rain. We have applied roof pitch and replaced roofing around flashing. Any ideas about how to fix the leaking problem. Thanks, Crystal

Wood stove is smokey [ 5 Answers ]

O.K. now is the time of year I need to take care of this. We moved into our house in Dec. of 2005, and for the past two winter I've had trouble with a downdraft in the small wood stove in the basement. Typically here is what happens after I got the paper and wood set up for a fire. I'll take a...

View more questions Search