Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AussieRita Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2012, 08:48 AM
    Puppy sick, I think. Eye discharge and sniffly nose... already had his first shots.
    It seems like he has a cold is it possible? He is not his usual self today... I'm taking him to the vet on Monday for his second set of shots.. . gave him a bath yesterday because he walked under our other dog while it was peeing!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2012, 11:05 AM
    Is he coughing? Kennel cough (the doggy cold) is pretty much diagnosed on the cough.

But, just because he doesn't have kennel cough, doesn't mean he hasn't caught a respiratory infection.

The discharge out of the eyes and nose... is it clear? Or does it have a color to it, such as green or yellow?

Its always a good idea to go to a vet when your dog is exhibiting an unusual behavior or are secreting things that aren't normal.

Feb 4, 2012, 03:10 PM
    His discharge around his eyes at first was white, then later in the am it was greenish... he also has a runny nose, no cough. Thanks for replying

Feb 4, 2012, 03:12 PM
    Runny nose is clear
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 4, 2012, 04:06 PM
    How old is your baby? If under six weeks should not have given a bath. You have to realize that a young pup has to be regarded same as human baby.

May have gotten a chill.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2012, 04:26 PM
    Oh, you can give puppies baths at any age.. You just got to make sure they are 100% dry before they go outside.

He may have caught an upper respiratory virus. Just because its not Kennel Cough itself, doesn't mean that he didn't catch a "cold". Just like us when we get sick, the sinuses will drain from the eyes and the nose.

He may even have an eye infection. The discharge from the nose is actually from the eyes. And always remember that clear fluid from the nose, if its in moderation, is normal for dogs of all ages.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2012, 04:33 PM
    Oh and.. your dog can get an upper respiratory infection anywhere there is a bacteria or virus hiding.. You could have broughten it home on your shoes or clothes or it could have came drifting into your yard via the wind. There really is no way of protecting your dog from the common doggy cold.. Not even the vaccine is 100% guaranteed... in fact, I wouldn't recommend getting the vaccine unless your county/state liscencing department requires it.
    Expert

Feb 4, 2012, 05:16 PM
    None of my dogs have ever had a common cold. If I noticed anything in the way of a respitatory ailment it would be off the vet, it would be that unusual. It could not have been 'brougten' home.
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2012, 06:22 PM
    Yes it can be brought home. Kennel cough can be spread by a infected dog sneezing on your shirt and you huggin your dog. Just like our viral rhinotracheitis, the symptoms don't appear first thing. Dogs can be carriers of it, too... Meaning, they won't be sick, ever get sick, but any animal that comes into cOntact with their saliva or nasal secretions can get full fledged kennel cough or canine influenza.

So yes, you can be the vector to your own dogs ailments. Especially if its viral, like what most upper respiratory disorders are.

Feb 4, 2012, 10:23 PM
    Thanks all... my puppy is 10 weeks old... he spent the day pretty much just laying around napping, hardly ate but did drink lots of water... we spent about an hour outside in the back yard because the weather was so beautiful... but the day was pretty low key... he started sneezing in the late afternoon... but I think it is just a cold... anyway I'm hoping... he goes to the vet on Monday morning
    Expert

Feb 5, 2012, 03:31 AM
    Yes, pups spend a lot of time sleeping; that is when they grow. Just like we humans, everything rejuvenates, repairs, a lot better when we sleep.

Feb 6, 2012, 10:47 AM
    My puppy is only 10 weeks old he is an Australian shepherd

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 1yr old puppy is sick, vomiting.not worms, sick only in morning. [ 5 Answers ]

Hello:) I am new here.. My 1yr old pup, Gracie, is a house dog, she is 1/2 Pomeranian & 1/2 Min. Doberman. For the last few days she has been vomiting in the morning, that is the only time she does. We are very careful what she eats & as we live in town, she stays indoor.. even to void. She is...

Shots for puppy [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how much does it cost to get all the shots needed for a puppy and how old do they have to be to get them?

Puppy shots? [ 5 Answers ]

When do I first take my puppy to the vet for shots, check up, anything? He is about 4 weeks old right now and I'm not sure that the people we got him from ever took him at all.

View more questions Search