Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    topthumb Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
    18HP Briggs & Stratton Locks Up?
    I've owned this Troybuilt tractor with a B&S 18HP for about 8 years now and have been having problems with it now for about 4 years. What I thought was just the batteries going dead is now very questionable. Just this past summer I bought a new battery and it worked fine for about 2 months but again the engine will not crank over, I mean it will move but it comes back to the same position without revolving once. It's like there was too much compression so what I did was I loosened the oil dipstick and pulled it out about an inch and then tried starting it and it turned over and started like no tomorrow.

So my question is what would be causing this pressure build-up inside the crankcase that's so high it will not allow the engine to turn over at all even with trying to jump starting it with a car battery?

This is an Intek OHV 18HP engine with 90 hours of use, new oil this past summer.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
    Check your oil to see if it is over filled or has any gas mixed in with it. Back to you
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2012, 06:13 AM
    Check your valve clearance
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Feb 2, 2012, 08:27 AM
    Hey topthumb,

Both the previous answers could cause the problem. And, it is probably one of them that is the issue.

1) If the carburetor is leaking gas through when the engine is shut off it can be filling a cylindeer with gas and cause it not to crank over. This can be found by checking the oil to see if there is a gas smell to it and if it is overfull. Solution: rebuild/clean the carburetor or replace it and you're done.

2) If the valves are out of adjustment it will have too much compression. When the valves are adjusted properly it releases the compression when cranking and lets it start easier. There is a video on YouTube that explans how to adjust the valves. It's pretty simple with the right tools.

Hope this help understand.

Feb 2, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Thanks everyone, I checked the oil and it's just under the full mark and there is no 'gas' smell to it so most likely it is the valves. I'll see if I can find that uTube video and check the valves.

Feb 2, 2012, 11:05 AM
    OK, I found that video and have a question, he says to torque the rocket set screw to 45 lbs. but in my manual it says 35 lb-in.

My question is does that mean 35 inch pounds or 35 foot pounds?
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Feb 3, 2012, 09:06 PM
    Here is the video I usually recommend:

http://www.youtube.com/user/IFIXIT4U#p/u/3/hGkn0jR9RJM

Feb 3, 2012, 09:50 PM
    I think the problem is solved. I checked the valve clearance and they were too loose but not by much, maybe .002 or so but I guess that's enough. The engine now cranks over and even sounds a little better and smother.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 18HP Briggs and Stratton Vanguard engine will not start when it is hot [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18 HP Briggs vanguard engine bought in 1997. It has been a good reliable engine for most of that time however since about five years ago it would not start after the engine got hot. I would have to let it cool down, then it would start. Now It won't start at all without starting fluid. The...

Briggs & stratton 12.5 [ 8 Answers ]

My husband has an MTD with a b and s 12.5. It has run weill with some babying for a while, now. One day he was running ti and he heard a loud POP , and that was the end. It has new solenoid, starter, bettery and a few other things . The key is it is GETTING gas into the bowl, but not going ...

Valve Adjustment on Briggs and Stratton 18hp [ 3 Answers ]

When trying to start the mower, it acts as though there is too much compression. Once I click the started 4 to 5 times and it makes about a half rotation it will then take off. A friend mentioned to me that the valves may need adjusted. Is this something that I can do or should it be taken in to...

Briggs and Stratton 18hp Overhead Valve Adjustment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Sears Craftsman 1100 lawn tractor with a 18hp Briggs & Stratton Overhead Valve Engine. I am told that the valve needs adjusting every year or it will break the shaft. I thought the valve was self adjusting?

View more questions Search