Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeeBopN Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
    How to kick out my roommate politely
    Basically I just need advice on what to do.

My roommate is lazy, doesn't like to contribute supplies for the apartment, and doesn't clean. We have a 1 bedroom apt and he pays $350 for rent while I pay $600. To clarify things, I have the bedroom to myself while he stays in the living room. I know for fact that this isn't fair because I asked for $400 but since he was my only option left, I needed to accept $350. He's a good friend of mine from high school and now we are both studying in the same college. I tried kicking him out after our first semester together but he begged to stay longer because the rent/apartment is really convenient for him. So I am giving him another semester to live with me. Our lease ends in 4 months, so my plan was to kick him out after the lease ends. My name is under the lease too so I have every right to kick him out. **Also my main concern is that I feel like after I kick him out he'll have a spare key to get in and steal my stuff.** Just because we are friends doesn't mean I can entirely trust him with my property. He's just those friends you have in school, he's not a friend that I can hang out with other people.

So how do I kick out my roommate politely?
    And should I change the locks to be safe. And if I should, do I have to tell my landlord as well?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2012, 08:22 PM
    Is his name also on the lease? If so, you can't do anything. He has equal rights to the apartment. You can negotiate with the landlord to lease the unit on your own instead of renew it together. You need to do this before the lease expires. In which case the landlord will have to inform him that he is not being renewed. And he has to do it according to the terms of the lease.

If he is not on the lease, then you are his landlord and you have to evict him according to the laws where you live.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
    Politely? Guess you can take them out to a nice meal, dress up and have a third party come up and give them the notice.

Sorry, could not help myself, there is no polite way, there is the legal way, and the procedure that has to be followed.

First answer Scott Gem's question, since we have to be sure you can even legally do this.

And then your exact location makes a difference but in general, a 30 day written notice for them to move and if they do not move, you file for an eviction in court.

After ( and only after they are completely moved out) you can change the locks, you will have to give your landlord a key of course and change the locks according to any rule your landlord has.
    BeeBopN Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2012, 05:37 AM
    His name is not on the lease.

And what if he says no and tries to beg and negotiate?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2012, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeBopN View Post
    His name is not on the lease.

And what if he says no and tries to beg and negotiate?
    Ok, so you are his landlord. That means you have to act like a landlord. You can search the web for samples of termination letters. You give him notice in writing and include a statement that if he fails to vacate you will file for an eviction order.

If he begs and pleads tell him he's an adult and to act like one.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
    If he begs and pleads to stay you act like an adult and tell him no.

Why are you allowing someone who clearly makes you unhappy to continue making you unhappy?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2012, 10:33 AM
    I will also agree with what the others have said... being an adult means making choices that aren't always easy, and doing things that might be difficult.

But he's had plenty of chances and he decided to take advantage of you. Just do thing according to legal procedures and you will be through this quickly enough. I think most of us have been through a similar situation with a roommate at least once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to I kick out a roommate not on the lease? In Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

He is not on the lease and refuses to leave. He gets his mail here and that's about it. He also let a friend move into his room with him without asking us. So now I have two people here that are not supposed to be here. My landlord said Im not allowed to have them here but he says that he has...

NJ do I need to evict this roommate or just kick him out? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a guy living in my house for the past five months. We agreed on a month to month deal but never got it in writing. He has never paid his rent on time but by the end of the month he usually got it to me. June rent has still not been paid. And he just got arrested with no...

Can my boyfriend's roommate kick him out in 72 hours? [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend's roommate is a real jerk, and he wants to kick my boyfriend out in 72 hours. I don't know if my boyfriend signed anything or if the landlord knows he lives there. :confused:

Can I kick my roommate out? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a great apartment I got with my great FICO 2 years ago. I am the only one on the rental agreement. I got a roommate 6 months ago. He pays rent in cash. He's a bum with a horrible credit score & hardly goes to work. Can I kick him out by simply giving him 30 days notice? We don't have...

My roommate is threatening to kick me out [ 5 Answers ]

I keep reading questions about people with horrible roommates wanting to kick them out, rightfully! But what about the people who are clean (more so than the roommate on the lease) and who pay their bills on time? My roommate signed the lease on our apartment without me there (my boyfriend was...

View more questions Search