Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pjb30153 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2007, 06:52 PM
    Propane furnace exhaust pipe black
    Propane furnace not working right. Exhaust pipe out of house is black at the end.
    Does this mean a problem?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 01:32 AM
    Running rich. Call for service before it gets worse.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Is this a 90% efficient furnace? What brand? Has your tank ever ran very low on fuel? Soot in an LP furnace is usually caused by improper output fuel pressure, or not enough fresh air for combustion. If it is 90% secondary heat exchanger may be getting plugged with soot causing a huge problem that will only get worse.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I agree with Hvac1000 and Northern Heat. If you have a lot of black on the vent pipe, that means you have a lot inside the heat exchanger and it will get worse and cause more damage. It may not be safe to use. Be safe call a service Tech.
    jcnova Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 08:08 AM
    I have a similar problem with the black exhaust pipe, two weeks ago I called the service tech out to check this the problem, the rollout switch was tripping and we notice that the flame through the pilot hole was not burning correctly. To make a long story short, the service tech needed to replace the heat exchanger. The furnace ran great for a week, however it is back to the same problem that it had three weeks ago. Also, I have notice a real bad odor throughout the house and now the service tech says we should replace the furnace. This furnace is 8 yrs old and is 100,000 BTU, Nordyne. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 7, 2007, 08:55 AM
    If they replaced your heat X to correct the problem they should at least give you credit for money already spent. Something seems to be wrong with this picture. I would get a second opinion then pursue the issue.
    luisito Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Black soot will be high if gas furnace has not been converted to propane, most or all furnaces are equipped to operate with natural gas. In order for a gas furnace to properly work without creating soot, a conversion kit to propane has to be bought seperatly and installed. The conversion kit consist of a small spring and orfices that are installed at burners to regulate gas flow. By doing this the air and gas pressure will mix properly giving you a nice blue flame and leaving the soot out. If a gas furnace has been working with out the proper LP kit for a long period it will cause the heat exchangeer to get plugged and will possibly need new heat exchanger or even new furnace, would recommend asking your dealer or a/c and heat company for proper conversion kit. Installation will have to be done by qulified personnel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace converted to propane? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had a new Carrier furnace installed. I have propane for gas. I cannot tell if the installer converted the furnace to propane, as I cannot find a sticker saying the unit was converted. What would typical symptoms be if it was not converted (noise, etc.). Thank you.

Using a furnace blower as exhaust fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get the wiring for the blower I have. :confused: One side I have a black, white and red wire which goes to the plug. The other set of wires I have red, white, blue, yellow, and black. What goes with what? Please help me.

Venting bathroom exhaust into radon pipe [ 3 Answers ]

We are building a second floor bathroom over a first floor bathroom. We are draining (and venting) the fixtures into the vent for first floor fixtures (creating a wet stack, which I understand may not be to code, but will function properly?). Question: we will also have an exhaust fan over the...

View more questions Search