Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike_lock Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Meeting a girl at church
    Hi, this my first time to ask here and I hope everyone can help me. It sounds pretty pathetic but I want to ask how to approach this girl at church. I go to church every Sunday and so does she. I really like this girl but don't know how to start talking to her. If we were in a bar, it'd be easy but church is different. It's not really a place to meet women, you know.. Maybe I can talk to her after mass, but I don't know what to do.. help me.
    I can't stop thinking about her..
    Tnx a lot.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 25, 2007, 05:06 AM
    There is nothing wrong with starting a conversation with a little candor. Maybe you could admit with some self-humor you were a little daunted about how to start a conversation with her being that this is church and not the corner bar and she'll probably laugh and enjoy the honest compliment and relate to how hard breaking social ice can be sometimes. Lines sound like lines because they aren't honest. Besides, after you both laugh, then you can ask her get-to-know questions just like you do in a bar... "been attending here long? What did you think of that sermon last week?? guaging her responses as you go.

Next week you can talk some more. Go slower here, as this is church and girls like time to think about what happened. When you ask her out to coffee or lunch, be sure to give some warm-up first so she has at least a few seconds to see what's coming... like "I really enjoy talking to you and would like to get to know you better, would you join me for coffee sometime after church?

She'll either make it happen or not. Remember this, for some people, church is as legitimate of a place to meet as many others.

Feb 25, 2007, 05:25 AM
    Thanks valinors_sorrow! Honesty is definitely the way to go.
    My biggest problem is that she usually comes in exactly as the mass starts. And I really don't want to disrupt the mass by talking to her.. I'm sure she wouldn't like it as well..
    Then right after the mass is over, she quickly leaves church and heads home.. every time we see each other, we exchange 3 secong glances at each other so I know she's somehow interested.. I'm afraid if I don't act within the next few weeks, she'll lose interest. I'm becoming desperate, any advise will be greatly appreciated. Tnx

Feb 25, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Ummmm, beat her to the door and stop her as she is leaving?
    Slip her a note in mass? No wait, LOL that's what we did in junior high! Hmm there is a kind of playful innocence to this idea though...

Maybe slip her a note stating you'd like to properly meet her and get to know her a little better just might work!

Ask if she would be willing to meet after mass? It might be especially cute if you would draw boxes to check like on a survey that said stuff like:

(box) Yes
    (box) No
    (box) Maybe, I need to think about it!
    (box) Maybe but I need to know this first _______________

Feb 25, 2007, 07:56 AM
    Haha, interesting suggestion.. ill make my move within a week or two. If you don't hear from me again, that means I failed and I'm miserable.. haha
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 09:00 AM
    Actually church is the better place to meet others. You meet people at bars you only meet people who drink and if you read about 1/2 of the relationship problems here they all start with "we were out drinking and"

So after church you talk to her, invite her to lunch after church or something

Feb 25, 2007, 01:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_lock
    haha, interesting suggestion.. ill make my move within a week or two. if you dont hear from me again, that means i failed and im miserable.. haha
    LOL Good for you... and if she shoots you down, stand tall and wear that failure proudly! Its not easy to stick it out there. But certainly if you don't try, that is a guaranteed failure. Good luck, guy! :p
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 06:19 PM
    Is there another friend at your church you can confide in? Perhaps a mutual third party to introduce you? Ask around and see if anyone you know knows who she is. That can be a way to break the ice.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Ask her what she thinks of the sermon and go from there.
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Actually, I think a church is a great place to meet a woman who has depth and real character. Meeting women in bars, especially younger women in their 20's is usually a recipe for disaster and drink does not help, oh not to sound sexist here>>> that goes for us guys too. I don't think you meet relationship material in bars and nightclubs, you can do but it is not the ideal place and intentions can be misinterpreted, especially with alcohol leading the way.

Perhaps start by smiling at her and saying hello and just try and spark a casual conversation.

Feb 27, 2007, 12:26 AM
    Thanks for the tips everyone! Can't really try the sermon thing though.. I find it hard to pay attention to what the priest is saying eversince I saw her. Lolz
    Argh! Can't believe this is happening to me.. its getting pretty silly haha
    Guess ill just have to approach her and talk to her.

Scared to death..
    Mike
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2007, 02:34 AM
    I read all the posts and the only thing going through my head is where is she running off to in such a hurry all the time? Maybe you could ask her and start a conversation from there. Or you could word it like this "Hey football seasons over, there's no need for you to run home anymore and catch the game."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Meeting a girl I've been talking to online in real life for the first time... [ 66 Answers ]

I've been talking to this girl from Match.com for a few weeks now on AIM and on the phone, and tomorrow night we're meeting for the first time in real life. I'm keeping it to a short and casual dinner after we both get off work. Any advice? I've never done this before and I'm kind of...

Meeting minutes [ 3 Answers ]

How do I write meeting minutes? Thank you very much

Writing a meeting agenda [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I find the best format for writing an effective, smooth flowing meeting agenda?

Agenda for a meeting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello this is ajay I wanted to ask about agendas of meetings If any body knows plzzzzzz mail me Thank u

Meeting Women [ 3 Answers ]

Where is a good place to meet mature, single women over 30? I don't go to bars and live in a small town.

View more questions Search