Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mlwalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 06:28 AM
    Smell from gas furnace
    Have been smelling rotten egg smell off and on for about a month. Could it be the gas furnace? We use propane. Anyway, the furace quit working last night and the smell has dissapted a great deal.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Don`t walk, run to the phone and call a local hvac company and get them out asap to check system,in the mean time turn off the gas going to furnace

Don`t won`t to scar you but this could be VERY dangerous

Let us know the outcome
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 06:38 PM
    I agree 100% with wmproop. Nothing to take litely here, okay? You need an onsite pro to evaluate the situation, and right away. It may be as simple as you ran out of propane, which will actually give a propane smell when the tank gets below 10% or so because the odor they put in the propane will actually settle to the bottom of the tank, causing a strong odor when the tank runs really low or empty, but this usually only happens with old tanks that have been filled many, many times. Ive only seen this happen a hand full of times, (not common). It didn't make sense to me, as I thought, why would I smell it if its being burnt, but when the odor become so strong, you will actually smell it even when being burnt.

Now, that being said, this is a one in a million problem, so don't just assume this is what happened. Get the system checked thoroughly, even if you have an old tank and it ran dry. Just no room for error with propane, or any gas applience for that matter.
    namylcul336 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 12:21 AM
    KABOOOM?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Propane furnace exhaust gas smell [ 2 Answers ]

What causes a strong gas smell from the exhaust of a propane gas high efficientcy gas furnace

Smell from gas furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old gas furnace,It's a high eff.RUUD modulating type.In the last week we have noticed a gas odor coming from the vent outside while sitting in our hot tub about 10 feet away from the vent.There is no odor ,Or co detected inside the house.Is it normal for the vent to give off a smell...

Bad Sewer with horriable smell of gas fumes and sour smell ,toilet smell.unit [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a low rental, had complained since I have moved in on, June,26/2010... have called city of winnipeg was told private property. Called the water waste line.. they did nothing and the smell is still in the unit. The development, was build in 2007.. the air vents where the heat comes from,...

Why does my rheem criterion 2 gas furnace smell like something is burning ? [ 0 Answers ]

I changed the filter on my rheem criterion 2 gas furnace, now when the heat kicks on the house smells like something is burning & the furnace is make a weird sound. Please help! I have to leave for out of town in a few hours!! I can't afford to call furnace guy! Please help!

10 yr old bryant furnace doesn't always ignite smell gas [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a couple people look at my furnace and can't afford to pay the Bryant team! I replaced blower motor 2 years ago, furnace seems to run great once on, but when it kicks on sometimes I smell gas before and after cycles! I had to replace the inducer cooling fan, 3 weeks ago, now the smell...

View more questions Search