Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whichwitch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Plumbing problems backup in tub
    I have been renting this house for 2 years - when I first moved in toilets would stop up and fecal matter with water and toilet paper( shredded) would come up through tub - OK plumber came took some roots out and problem gone - have had some minor plumbing problems in between and I even told plumber I hear bubbling or gurgling noises in upstairs toilet and sin ( no response ) he changed some pipes in basement 2 weeks ago well today both toilets want to overflow and I have the fecal water back in my tub - honestly this may be gross but when I fluch the toilet close to bathtub and plunger it , well it seems like dark chunks of stuff is coming up through the tub ( like something from a while back ) plus the one pipe he replaced is leaking from the seams in the basement . This plumbing runs through sewer system if that helps any .its sad when you can't shower ( due to yuck ) and you're afraid to use your toilets ! Any info would be appreciated
    dockon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by whichwitch
    I have been renting this house for 2 years - when I first moved in toilets would stop up and fecal matter with water and toilet paper( shredded) would come up through tub - ok plumber came took some roots out and problem gone - have had some minor plumbing problems in between and I even told plumber I hear bubbling or gurgling noises in upstairs toilet and sin ( no response ) he changed some pipes in basement 2 weeks ago well today both toilets want to overflow and i have the fecal water back in my tub - honestly this may be gross but when i fluch the toilet close to bathtub and plunger it , well it seems like dark chunks of stuff is coming up through the tub ( like something from a while back ) plus the one pipe he replaced is leaking from the seams in the basement . this plumbing runs through sewer system if that helps any .its sad when you can't shower ( due to yuck ) and youre afraid to use your toilets ! any info would be appreciated
    We purchased a new home and 7 months living there the same thing happened to us, while I was showering, brown water (thought was rust) was filling the bottom of shower, not coming from the faucet, just backing up. We were under warranty with the home and come to find out that the sewer line was ruptured in our yard about 5 feet below the ground. We also heard that "bubbly" sound your talking about. They dug up our yard with a mini back-hoe and there it was, broke and actually missing piping. There was actually food in there that I was putting in the sinks disposal as well. The oder was terrible. Check the yard, eventually it will become saturated and will be the water building up, that is where the pipe would probably be broken. Good Luck!!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 11:21 AM
    You have the same problem as before. Roots have blocked the line. If you do not address the root problem it will not go away. [get your checkbook ready] first have the sewer snaked out again [$145.00 up to 600.00] next have the plumber camara your pipe all the way to the municiple connection or [hopefully not] the septic tank [$ 150.00 up to 500.00]. Tell him you want the video [free up to $30.00]. Next, have the offending area of pipe replaced [$ 150.00 up to 3,000.00]. If you have a rotted or orangeburg sewer line you can expect to pay anywhere from $ 12.00 up to 65.00 per foot to replace the whole sewer line.
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Actually I just read the question again, you are renting. Call the landlord and if it is not remedied call the local housing authority.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 25, 2007, 11:45 AM
    Doug nailed it with the root explanation. Going in, let me say that sooner or later your landlord's going to to have to bite the bullet and replace that old sewer line with PVC.
    RootX or Robics Foaming Root Killer that contain Dichlobrnic are two products you could try to control roots.
    A less expensive way would be to call around to garden supply stores and ask for fine grain Copper Sulphate. Put a 1/2 pound in your toilet and flush it down. Repeat in 6 months.
    Hope this helps Tom
    whichwitch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 08:42 PM
    thanks guy I appreciate the fast answers - well the plumber came and snaked it out he said this may have to be done every 2 yrs =landlord wants me to pay half the bill because ei called them to ask a question and they just came out instead ( not my fault ) they said the pipes are still good ( which I believe that or else theyd try to make more moohla ) but problem solved I will look into the flushable solutions you mentioned - thanks again to all who helped me I will be able to sleep better tonight knowing my tubs not full of p00p lol
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2007, 07:22 AM
    The pipe is not OK. A sewer pipe that is OK does not need to be snaked out every 2 years. You had this problem 2 years ago and it happened again. The plumber said roots were the cause. This will not go away. Roots feed off the water and they grow and crack or even break the pipe more.
    Ask the plumber if you got a warranty on that job. He will tell you no, because the roots are coming back. On a tenant situation the landlord has to make money so he puts out as little as possible. Most landlords only put bandaids on problems. The only way you will know what the true cause is without spending a lot is to camara the line. Your root problem will return much faster than you think.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing backup problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have plumbing backup problem in a section of our house. About once a year it needs to be snaked. The washing machine discharge pipe, kitchen sink and guest bath sinks all backup at the same time. After it has been cleaned everything works fine. However, the new washing machine discharge flow is...

Plumbing Backup [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having several problems with my plumbing. House is connected to city sewer system. Problem started 1 week ago. - While flusing the toilet, bubbles comes up from the bowl. Sometimes it requires 2-3 flushes... and sometimes it overflows. - When I continue to flush and/or use plunger - the...

Downstairs wash tub backup [ 1 Answers ]

My washing machine is next to a 2-bin wash tub in my basement and discharges into it on the rinse cycle. Lately the wash tub has been backing up. I have tried to put lint traps on the washing machine discharge hose to keep lint from going down the drain. This becomes a hassle. I recently tried...

Plumbing backup - washing machine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding strange plumbing backup involving my washing machine and adjacent bathroom. When the washing machine or bathroom tub drains water, the toilet and sink in the same bathroom gurgle. Occasionally, soapy foam from the washing machine backs up into the toilet. If you flush...

More washing machine backup problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all of the info I could find about washing machine drains and vents. We just bought a home with all new appliances and our washing machine backups every time we use it. The previous owner thinks the plumber suggested a vent to solve to problem. My problem is that we cannot even find...

View more questions Search