Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Markj771 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 04:17 AM
    Mixing leather sofa with fabric floral chairs?
    Hi,

(please see links at bottom for photos)

We've recently purchased this sofa (Natuzzi brown leather), and we're looking for some chairs to go with it.

We're avoiding leather for the chairs as the colour won't be the same, and we don't want to add cream or another colour as the armchair style won't be the same as the sofa (or the leather quality); so we're wanting something completely different that will hopefully complement each other.

We very much like these tub chairs, and were wondering if they actually go together? They custom make them, so we'd be having 2 slightly larger (1.5 seater) ones, with brown legs (to match the sofa legs), and we'll make sure the colour of the brown pattern reasonably matches the brown leather.

To tie everything together, we'd also get 2 cushions made up in the same fabric/pattern as the chairs, to put on the sofa; and may also get 2 brown leather cushions (reasonably matching) to put on the new chairs.

Is this a good or a bad idea? Any advice appreciated!

The only thing I'm thinking is that the chairs are round while the sofa is square; and the chairs will be relatively small/petite compared to the sofa. Also there's the mix of styles (contemporary sofa vs Victorian(?)-influenced chair style/design)...

http://www.musicserv.plus.com/misc/1.png
    http://www.musicserv.plus.com/misc/2.png
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 26, 2011, 05:29 AM

I hate to tell you this, but your combinations just won't work. Leather is leather and should never be mixed with the type of furniture you feature. Leather is contemporary and for sure the style of couch is very contemporary. So your entire area has to coincide with the this type of leather furniture and has to be all leather.

I have all leather and wouldn't consider having upholstered furniture along with it, let alone in the pattern you show.

Sorry, but just my take on this idea.

Tick
    Markj771 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2011, 08:13 AM
    Hi Tick,

Thanks for your reply.

I've seen fabric chairs mixed with leather sofas/chairs before, and, with the right colours/material/pattern/shape, personally I think it worked very well and created interest.

Getting leather chairs to go with the sofa is unfortunately out of the question, as we won't be able to get the correct chairs to match the leather colour, and we wouldn't want another colour/shade (and quality) of leather, or another shape/style of chair, hence wanting to do something a bit different that doesn't look like we're just "trying" to make the chairs match with the wrong colour. We usually go for neutral/plain colours and designs, but wanted something a bit more interesting this time if possible.

I take your point about mixing contemporary with "modern-traditional" and that the two are very contrasting.

I may have to rethink; does anyone else have any input?
    cybersal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 12:17 AM
    Before I saw the pics I would have said no way. The style of the sofa and chairs are very compatible and the color coordination is great.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mixing Fabric Chairs with Leather Sofas [ 3 Answers ]

I am moving into a larger home, and my living room furniture (a leather sofa and leather chair) make the new space seem very empty. I was wandering what other pieces of furniture (e.g. chairs) that I should buy, and what type of material and pattern would go best with a deep brown (almost a little...

Fabric sofa to compliment leather sofa [ 1 Answers ]

I have a nu-buck leather sofa in shades of camel and browns with rolled arms and nail heads on the trims, we are considering a fabric sofa which has a paisley print in shades or brown with some blue and corral ,green all mixed in,the sofa/love seat has a skirt,Iamb wondering if that will go with...

Mixing leather sofa with fabric? [ 6 Answers ]

I want to buy a black leather 3 seater sofa and then re upholster my fabric sofa. Will this work? What colors/fabrics should I look for to compliment my black leather? I don't want to be too modern/bachlor pad type... going for more modern but traditoinal look. We have young kids but want to...

Adding fabric chairs with ivory color sofa [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have an Ivory color sofa in my living room. I want to add more seating space with chairs. Can I put fabric accent chairs with leather sofa? Does fabric chairs go with leather? What things should I keep in mind to keep the flow. I also want to add some color in the room.

View more questions Search