Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jhddavis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 02:47 PM
    Propane smell from an electric oven
    O.K. I know this sounds crazy, but has anyone heard of this. The oven is VERY old. The brand name is Sunray. It has worked fine, other then the temperature being off 50 to 100degrees.
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 21, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Propane smell huh? I can't say I heard of anything like that except where an electric oven also has a connection for gas or propane stove located behind it with a leak. Dose this smell only occur when the oven is on? If so I imagine it is something burning off coils that seems to smell like propane.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 04:18 PM
    Yep, if there is no propane hooked up, there can not be any smell from that. Just not humanly possible.

There can be smells of old heating coils and items burning in the stove.

Jan 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Yes the smell is present only when the oven is on, and not every time it is on maybe every other time, or every third time I use the oven...
    mommatucker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Okay, I am glad I am not just imagining things, I am experiencing the same smell with my electric oven and clothes dryer. Did you get any answers?

Mar 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
    No, Our oven was very old and we found a good newer stove on craigs list for $200.00. Good luck. I will be curious to see what you hear.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 2, 2008, 02:54 PM
    We are experiencing the same thing. The only thing I can possibly think of for us is we were stripping the kitchen table and chairs and re-staining them and somehow the smell is coming from the dust.

Still would like to find a good answer.
    gindin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2008, 04:35 PM
    I am having the same problem. It is a 3 year old electric and I thought the smell was a bit like butane. I did use a floor wax stripping product recently. Otherwise no reason it should smell.
    HEATPROLI Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Check for dead animals. Or bite the bullet and replace your old stuff already. NASTY
    BILLY1213456789 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
    Glad to see that i'm not the only one with a electric oven that after about 12yrs of owning it now when i turn it on it emits a odor that's smells like lighter fuild or butane. I have no gas or propane in my home, i am strictly oil heated and electric cooking. The oven is clean, didn't use any cleaner on it just wiped it out. I assume anything spilling on the coil would burn off after the first use. Does anyone out there have an answer to what the problem might be.
    HomeBody12345 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 06:40 PM
    I am having the same problem! My oven is 7 years old, a GE model (electric). It started to smell about a week ago, only when it is on of course. I tried to explain it to my husband and I said I thought it smelled like kerosene or butane or something. He gave me a really funny look, until I turned the oven on and had him smell it as well. He totally agreed with me. I thought I was going insane!!

Could the oven's heating element be going? Is there anything in the element itself that would smell?
    patsey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 4, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Having same problem - my electric wall oven when turned on emanates a propane type order and so does the electric clothes dryer.
    Only answer I can assume is that I had my wood floors refinished right before I started noticing the smell. I was nervous because I do have a gas cooktop, (which does not smell), and gas heating in the home.
    Very strange (and until I found this) thought I was going crazy!
    MamaDogg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2014, 02:53 PM
    Crazy, I'm googling the same issue and yes, we just had out floors redone too. Weird!
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2014, 09:43 AM
    Propane and natural gas have no odor; what you smell is ethylmercaptan, an odorant added to the gases to make it possible to be alerted to a gas leak. Other organic chemicals can smell similar. One drop can be detected in a football stadium. See: https://www.mathesongas.com/pdfs/msds/MAT09070.pdf
    Ethanethiol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Amand air and heat conversion from propane to electric [ 1 Answers ]

Question to heat and cooling installed into my recently acquired home built in 1997: I have an Amana Furnace and Air Conditioner in my home, my furnace unit has a sticker that reads " converted to propane " can this unit be altered to be a heat and air unit using no propane?

Is furnace using electric or propane? [ 2 Answers ]

On the thermostat of our Carrier 8000 weather maker, it shows E.heat and or Aux heat. Does this mean the propane has been bypassed and we are now using all electric for heat? We would love to get rid of propane and just use electric.

Ge electric oven [ 1 Answers ]

My oven seems to run well under the temperature it is set at. In order to get the temperature up to say 375, I have to set the temperature at maybe 550 and then guess as to what the actual temperature is inside the oven. Is this a bad thermostat?

Installing a Electric Stove/Oven [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing an Electric Stove/Oven unit that is not up against a wall. There are cabinets on either side of the stove and a counter for eating behind the stove. I have my wire coming up through the floor behind the stove for the plug. The stove has a downdraft exhaust fan (exhaust fan is under...

View more questions Search