Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sprreddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2007, 12:49 PM
    L1 visa and filing tax return for the first time
    I came to US on my L1 on Mar 2005 and returned back July 2005. Came back to US again on the same L1 visa on 1st Jan 06 and in US till date.

I need to file my tax return for the first time in US. I have few clarifications. They are as follows. Tax experts, please help me.

1) Am I a resident alien or a non resident alien
    2) I got married on 1st Dec 06 and can I file as "Married filing jointly" and avail the tax benefits (i.e. exemptions / deductions)

Kindly let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advace!

Regards,
    sprreddy
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 12:25 AM
    1) Resident alien.

2) Yes.

If you need my professional tax help, contact me at [email protected].
    sprreddy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sprreddy
    I came to US on my L1 on Mar 2005 and returned back July 2005. Came back to US again on the same L1 visa on 1st Jan 06 and in US till date.

I need to file my tax return for the first time in US. I have few clarifications. They are as follows. Tax experts, please help me.

1) Am I a resident alien or a non resident alien
    2) I got married on 1st Dec 06 and can I file as "Married filing jointly" and avail the tax benefits (i.e. exemptions / deductions)

Kindly let me know ASAP.

Thanks in advace!

Regards,
    sprreddy
    Thank you very much!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

B1 visa but want to claim and return the tax [ 7 Answers ]

On year 2005, I came to USA as J1 work and travel program--so I got the SSN Then on 2006, I came to USA as B1/B2 (tourist visa) and work in USA And the problem is when I filled W-2 form (2006), I wrote EXEMPT on that form, and now they send me 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR form to fill and return to IRS...

H1 and H4 visa tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for your quick reply. I have few more questions and I hope you will reply me. 1. Which form 1040/1040A/1040EZ is apprpriate for me (H1B) to apply jointly with my wife (H4) and child (H4)? 2. Is there any advantage if we apply separately? 3. My elder daughter has born in...

L1 Visa Tax Filing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I and my spouse are on L1-B visa. We started work in USA in mid Oct 2006 for 2.5 months till Dec 2006. 1. Are we Non Resident Aliens for 2006 ? 2. Are Social Security and Medicare taxes applicable for Non Resident Aliens (L visa) ? 3. We have a child who was not issued a SSN when...

L1 visa tax return filing for dependents, self [ 1 Answers ]

Iam on L1 visa workpermit in US, Foreign National, resident alien, (2005-2006) worked from sep-05 to Apr-06 as Single status (ie,. I did not bring my dependents). Returned to home country in 2006 April, and back to US again in Oct-06 to till date with dependents (ie wife + kids). I received my...

F1 To H1B tax return filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I want to know what form should I use to file my returns? Here is the information on my status. I came in USA in August 2001 on a student visa. I got my OPT in Jan 2004. And I joined a consulting firm and started earning from May 2004. Meanwhile my status was changed from F1 to...

View more questions Search