Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    casarsa Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 02:11 PM
    How much will I get back on my taxes?
    I am married no kids. Total income between both of us Gross is 43,170. Net was 39,742. We rent (do not own home). So will we owe taxes or get back and how much?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2012, 02:14 PM
    Do you live an a high tax area like New york city or a no tax state... do you itemize? Or do a short form.

You could try running the info through a free version of turbo tax and get an answer.

Because you are going to have to fill out those returns anyway. No matter how much you get back or owe.

Jan 3, 2012, 02:15 PM
    I live in California

Jan 3, 2012, 02:30 PM
    How much will I get back for taxes here in California?
    I am married and claim little sister. Total income between both of us Gross is 43,170. Net was 39,742. We rent (do not own home). So will we owe taxes or get back and how much? I know I can go onto turbo tax, but if anyone is an expert and can give me an estimate that would be great.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 3, 2012, 02:48 PM
    First, are you sure you can claim your sister (how old is she, is she full time student, is any of that income hers)?

Jan 3, 2012, 02:51 PM
    She's 11 years old. I pay for everything.

Jan 3, 2012, 03:20 PM
    How much money will I get back in taxes in California?
    Husband made 12008.56 Gross as employee with federal witholding 830.68 and state 132.36. He made 6000 from a 1099. Myself made 23400 from unemployement but 10% tax was withheld giving me 21060 after taxes, and I made 1770 from a 1099. I claim my 11yr old sister that goes to elementary and I pay for all of her expenses. So how much will we get back? We don't have a 401k or any medical coverage or life insurance and we rent (we do not own a home).
    current pert

Jan 3, 2012, 03:52 PM
    You'll get money back.
    Have your tax preparer be sure to check dependent qualifying child and possibly earned income credit (you might be right on the line of income).
    That will add a lot to your married filing jointly but there are other questions I won't get into about your sister.
    current pert

Jan 4, 2012, 01:48 AM
    Oops, the 1099 income is going to take a chunk. Now I don't know - too much work. Buy the tax software or do it by hand. The booklet and instructions for long form 1040 are online, including worksheets for all the child credits.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2012, 08:13 AM
    I need to know the NATURE of the 1099 income. Was it reimbursement of expenses from your or your husband's employer? If reimbursement, it would be listed on Line #21 of Form 1040 and would NOT be subject to self-employment taxes.

If it was subcontract work, then you and/or he are running a business and must complete Schedule C to claim business expenses, then roll the net income to Schedule SE to determine your SE taxes.

If you email me your expenses (my email address is in my signature below or in my profile if signature is not showing), I can do a rough refund estimate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can the IRS keep my back pay for Social Security Disability If I owe back taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I owe back federal taxes of approximately $13,000.00. I have a back payment of approximately $20.000.00 coming from Social Security Disability. How much money will the IRS keep of this money if any, and will they notify me before hand

What form do I file with IRS to take back my taxes they took for back child support [ 7 Answers ]

My ex pays child support sporadicly and never a large amount for three children, he owes 4 years of back child support. This year I received his taxes. Now 2 months later they are telling me he filed a report with IRS that reversed his taxes being given to me and gave his taxes back to him. Now...

Can I claim my brother on my taxes if he owes back taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my brother on my taxes if he owes back taxes

Taxes back [ 1 Answers ]

I worked from Dec 2006 to March 2007 in Colorado, with an H2B visa, and I just got my W2 form, so I would like to know what are the taxes that I can claim back, what percentage of what has been deducted from me am I going to get back? since I don't get any benefits from Social Security or Medicare,...

Back Taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how much I owe the IRS in back taxes from 2004. Can you help me?

View more questions Search