Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    awbrat2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2011, 03:22 PM
    How long can a debt collector contact me on a debt?
    An apparent debt from 2001 is coming back now in 2011. How long can a debt collector actually try and pursue me for this? I thought that it was against Federal Law that they can not try and collect on a debt that was more than 10 years old.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 27, 2011, 03:37 PM
    You thought wrong. A debt never expires. As long as it remains unpaid, the owner of the debt can pursue and dun you. They are constrained however, in that they may no longer use the court system to try and collect and they have follow federal laws about how to dun.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 27, 2011, 03:50 PM
    Agree, there is a time limit on them taking you to court, But the lender can contact you for the rest of your life and contact your estate after you die in attempts to be paid.
    anotheridiot Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 08:53 PM
    Go online and read the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act). It is pretty straightforward and can tell you a lot of information about how the debt collector may continue to contact you. There are very strict rules as you will see and if they do not follow the rules the FDCPA tells you how to report them. In SOME cases, you can even sue the debt collector. But don't get hasty, read the rules first.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
    You know why that collector is coming after a 10 year old SOL debt, because he likely bought it for pennies on the dollar and is hoping you slip up and offer a settlement or somehow acknowledge the debt. That would restart the SOl clock and you could be sued in court just like it was a new debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Junk debt collector, PRA, decided to obtain a lawyer to take my debt to court. [ 6 Answers ]

Junk debt collector, PRA, decided to obtain a lawyer to take my debt to court. The attorney filed his complaint which I answered within the thirty days that we have in North Carolina. Now a court date has been set for Feb 23, 2010. On January they sent through the mail the documents for...

How long does it take for a debt collector to put a lien on propert and accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I received a letter stating I owe back taxes to the state of va and I have 2 days to pay in full or they will proceed with the next step of possibly putting a lien on my accounts. How long does this take to do that.

Can Debt Collector Garnish Husband Wages For wife's Debt [ 3 Answers ]

Prior to even meeting my husband I inccured a credit card debt which I have since defaulted on. I just recently received a summons in response to this debt and am unable to pay the amount in full. Are they able to garnish my husbands check for a my debt as that I am a homemaker with no income?

How long can a debt collector attempt to collect a debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I incurred a credit card debt that was turned over for collection in 2000. The debt was incurred in Wyoming but I now live in Colorado. Can anyone tell me what the statute of limitations on a debt are and if it differs from state to state. :eek:

View more questions Search