Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abrad99 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Format Compaq Computer with XP
    I'm trying to format my computer, but when I use System Recovery it produces an error: " The file systemRoot\System32\Config\security is either corupt, or absolete. Can someone please help me. Thank you.
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 02:20 AM
    To format PC, you should boot from your XP installation disc.

Change boot priority to CD/DVD
    Insert disc
    Restart machine
    Choose Install OS, It'll format and re-install

Sep 18, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    To format PC, you should boot from your XP installation disc.

Change boot priority to CD/DVD
    Insert disc
    Restart machine
    Choose Install OS, It'll format and re-install

I cannt find my xp software disk. I don't even know if I had one to begin with, xp came already installed on my computer. Is there any other way that I can format my computer?
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 18, 2007, 11:10 AM
    When you format your computer, you lose everything that's on the hard drive, INCLUDING windows. If you don't have the Installation CD for Windows XP, you won't be able to put it back on the computer.

It might be recovery CD's instead of an XP CD. Look for something that came with it that says "Operating System CD" or "Operating Software" or "Recoverdy Disc"

Sep 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    When you format your computer, you lose everything that's on the hard drive, INCLUDING windows. If you don't have the Installation CD for Windows XP, you won't be able to put it back on the computer.

It might be recovery CD's instead of an XP CD. Look for somthing that came with it that says "Operating System CD" or "Operating Software" or "Recoverdy Disc"

I don't have anything to that effect. Is there a way I can use system recovery and not get that horrible error?

Sep 18, 2007, 06:56 PM
    You could try booting up in Safe Mode, then running System Restore. It might work.

Sep 18, 2007, 09:56 PM
    You could try booting up in Safe Mode, then running System Restore. It might work.
    I've tried that, it does the same thing. :(
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 11:45 PM
    How old is your PC? Because if is still under warranty they might work on it.

Sep 19, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    How old is your PC? because if is still under warranty they might work on it.

It's a 2003. So the warranty has expired. Someone from another forum has suggested ordering recovery disks from compaq (therefore hp) would those work? I also have a friend who has xp home edition (the same as mine) could I use her disk to reinstall it, therefore wiping everything off my computer? Or would I have a problem with the copyright thing? I still have the sticker on my PC having the xp product key. I am selling this computer, so I definitely need it wiped out.

Sep 20, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Technically, you're not supposed to install from that disk, according to Microsoft. But, as long as you have your own sticker than came with it, it's legal.

If the sticker says OEM on it, make sure it's a CD she got with her computer, not one she downloaded off the internet or bought from a store. OEM Product keys are usually pretty picky about what CD they work with, so it may not even work then, but its still worth a try.

Sep 23, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Technically, you're not supposed to install from that disk, according to microsoft. But, as long as you have your own sticker than came with it, it's legal.

If the sticker says OEM on it, make sure it's a CD she got with her computer, not one she downloaded off the internet or bought from a store. OEM Product keys are usually pretty picky about what CD they work with, so it may not even work then, but its still worth a try.

We tried my friend's xp disk. That doesn't work either, because for some sqrewed up reason my computer would not read the disk. This thing is giving me nothing but problems, does anyone have an idea what I can do? How much would it cost if I took it in somewhere and get them to wipe it for me? And maybe look at my cd/dvd drive as well? Thanks everyone!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 23, 2007, 04:03 PM
    When you boot the machine there should be an instruction t5o press some key (usually F10) to enter the Recovery partition. Use that,

Sep 23, 2007, 06:02 PM
    I've tried that too.. hmm
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 24, 2007, 05:13 AM
    And what happened when you tried it?
    mulenga Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2010, 12:30 PM
    What can I do with my PC which has frozen after I was the desktop background
    Mums_the_w0rd Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2012, 04:13 PM
    You can purchase an OEM Windows XP Copy on a disk from pretty much any local computer store these days. Let them know if your OS is 32 Bit or 64 Bit, I am guessing it's x32, and it is no more than $7.00 for the disk. Start your computer, open your drive, restart your computer running boot from cd/rom, when it starts, press any key to continue. At this point, based on what you already mentioned, a clean install is necessary which will allow you to reformat your entire hard drive. Delete all partitions on the hard drive and install Windows XP on the Main Drive, which should be the only partition left to install on, as all others are no longer listed assuming you clicked 'Y' (YES) to delete these partitions. Run an NTFS install and then let Windows XP do the rest. Don't lose this CD. After Windows is completed with setup and you are prompted to enter your Product Key, do so. Everything else is simple really. Just follow the instructions or if you are going to sell it, leave it in this state and allow the buyer to set it up from this point. Next time you buy a computer, make sure you keep your disks together and always back up your personal data.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compaq presario 2800 [ 1 Answers ]

While installing webcam in Win-XP machine, I have an error message "Vedio Capture Hardware not found". Is it Vedio Capture Card essential for Installing Webcam in Win-XP machine?? Plzzzz help me...

Compaq Presario [ 3 Answers ]

Compact Presairo computer does not want to accept NEC Multi Sync LCD1530V flatscreen . Tells me Video Input is Out of Range. H: 53.7 kHz V 95.1 Hz. The unfortunate part is that it runs Windows ME... yes I know sad isn't it... but it was given to me for free, so I can't complain. Any idea's on how...

Compaq N400c [ 16 Answers ]

Have asked about this problem before and had computer fixed at shop however the problem has re occurred. I cannoy get into the operating system it flashed up a warning message feom windows then it shut down.Since restarting all I keep getting is the Compaq screen then a black screen with white...

Compaq n400c need help [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: purchased the compaq N400c laptop a couple of days ago (second hand) and has been working fine until today. I cannot access windows at all. Does anyone out there know about this model. Have checked the guide book for troubleshooting but lists nothing like the problem that I am having....

View more questions Search