Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweet_alien Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 11:31 PM
    Puppy pooping schedule?
    My lab puppy is about 3 months now and we are feeding him four times a day (8am, 1pm, 5pm, 8pm) as per Vet recommendation. We are having trouble figuring out when he needs to poop. Most of the times he poop in the morning after food and then in the late evening,which is very convenient to us. But sometimes he poops afternoon and late night and sometimes early morning at 4 !

How can I make him poop only in the morning after food and late evening?
    binkia Posts: 49, Reputation: -2

Jan 2, 2012, 12:07 AM
    There is no actual way to make a puppy poop when u want him too it sometimes depends on what kind of food your giving him.

Jan 2, 2012, 12:14 AM
    We are feeding him 3 times curd-rice and once pedigree puppy weaning in the evening.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2012, 09:54 AM
    4 times a day is way too much for a 3 month old puppy. You don't want to increase her meal times, you want to start decreasing her meal times.

Start to wean her from 4 times a day. Get her to eat only 2 times a day, morning and night. She'll be easier to manage as far as a potty schedule.

I don't know why your vet suggested 4 times a day, that's absolutely insane. I don't think anyone (including us dog savvy people) could control the bowel movements of a puppy eating up to 4 times a day.

Curd-rice? Why? Just stick to a good commercial puppy food. Puppy foods have all the nutrients growing puppies need. I would suggest Pro Plan puppy. It's a very good food and all puppies like it, its also not the most expensive brand on the shelves.

At 3 months old, your pup should be completely weaned. If you bought puppy milk, take it back. She doesn't need it. She needs hard, kibbles... and possibly canned food (1/4).

Keep in mind with puppies... the amount that goes in, is going to be double coming out.

As far as making her potty 2 times a day.. yea right. That's not going to happen even as an adult. Your dog needs to get out numerous times a day at this age. The rule of thumb is.. a dog can hold their potty as many hours as they are old. So since your dog is 3 months, the max this dog can hold it in will be for 3 hours. Don't expect a 3 month old puppy to only go poop in the morning and evening because that fits your schedule. This pup needs to go out OFTEN.

Jan 2, 2012, 10:09 PM
    @ Luci,

When I got him he was 2.5 months and was on curd-rice (That's the preferred food in this part of India, I suppose!) four times a day. We decreased the meal frequency to 3 times a day and tried to get him on chicken-rice but he got loose motion and the vet suggested NOT TO feed him that and continue on curd-rice and pedigree, 4 times a day.

We consulted 2 vets and both had same opinion! When we put him on 3 meals/day, he was actually pooping only 2ice, now it has increased to 3-4 times a day and yea, amount too!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 06:47 AM
    I totally agree with Lucky, 4 times seems a bit over kill. With small puppies even one morsel of kibble will put pressure on their bowels and as they walk, run and play it will increase the urge to need to 'go'. A rule of thumb for most potty training dogs, is as soon as they are done eating, drinking, playing or sleeping they need to go out. Think of them like a baby in diapers. I wouldn't disagree with your vets feeding scheduales, but it just seems a bit much. Most dogs only are fed half the daily amount in mornings and the rest at supper.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I change my dog's pooping schedule? [ 1 Answers ]

I just started a new job and am trying to change my dog's pooping schedule to early morning/late afternoon so she is more comfortable during the day. Currently she's an early afternoon/late night pooper, which is fine except I am not home in the early afternoon anymore! I need her to poop on our...

How can I get my new puppy on a schedule [ 3 Answers ]

I have a new puppy and need to get her on a regular schedule.How should I go about doing this?

New Puppy and pooping [ 2 Answers ]

I have a puggle who is approximately 3 months. It usually takes him hours to poop. For example, I fed him this morning at 6 am and still hasn't pooped. Any suggestions? NEWTO THIS

Puppy Schedule [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a 4 month old dachshund puppy. How much should he be sleeping, eating, playing, etc?

Pooping puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Our puppy is 9 weeks old... we have had her for a week. Unfortunately, she has been pooping in her crate the last 3 nights. I am not sure if this is separation anxiety as she sleeps in the crate with our other dog (they are both small and sleeping together has caused her not to whine at night). She...

View more questions Search