Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kathie138 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Legal age of leaving children overnight
    What is the legal age to leave children overnight for one or more nights with out adult supervision. I thought anyone under 18 was considered an "infant" in the eyes of a court. My ex sister in law is taking 2 of her children to Hawaii and leaving the oldest 17 to care for the youngest 11. She leaves them all unattended at times anyway as she is a flight attendant and thinks there is nothing wrong with it. This is in Washington State. Their Father and the rest of our family is all on the east coast and we never know when they are alone. This is the only time she has been so bold as to announce anyone would be left alone but we do not have any exact dates.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Legally, I don't know but I think a 17 year old is old enough to babysit their 11 year old sibling overnight.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 05:22 AM
    In Ontario a child can legally be left alone at 12 and in this day and age, with both parents on the run all the time, the l2 year old is usually picking the younger one up at school and babysitting till parents get home. So I don't think it is unusual for an l7 year old looking after an ll year old as long as the l7 year old is mature and responsible. Is he or she ? I hope she doesn't leave the younger ones unattended at any time.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 06:12 AM
    CPS told me that at pre teen ages they can be left alone for 3 to 5 hours but not more and if they are watching younger kids it should only be 3 or 4 hours.
    I am not sure that is their official stand though. I think it was just a basic standard they go by.
    Also I would think it could make a difference if it is a rare occasion or if it is a nightly thing.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 06:33 AM
    In Ohio (and possibly other states) we were told that it depends on the child and their maturity level and their ability to care for themselves. That there really is no set age limit. Of course, I wondered who's determining their maturity level? If something happens when you aren't around and DFACS comes in - do THEY determine if the child was mature enough? Or take the parent's word for it?

I think it is a slippery slop!

I was babysitting 2 infant twins and a 3 year old when I was 11. (My Mom was across the street - but still) and at 12 I had a summer job babysitting a 5 year old 5 days a week, all day.
    I know times have changed...

A 17 year old should be able to handle the job.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 08:35 AM
    I believe I started babysitting at the age of 13. I was obviously resposible enough to do so.

Hey NowWhat, you babysat 2 infant twins at 11? WOW. I give you props there. I would have freaked out if one of them started crying because in reality, I was still a child myself.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE
    Hey NowWhat, you babysat 2 infant twins at 11? WOW. I give you props there. I would have freaked out if one of them started crying because in reality, I was still a child myself.
    Actually it was 6 month old twins and they had a 3 year old sister.
    So I had three of them.
    For a while, a friend of mine would come over and help (she was 11 also) and we had our mom's a phone call away.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 04:22 PM
    I babysat an infant and two toddlers when I was 13, just for a few hours at night. And I watched an 8 year old regularly for many hours when I was 15.

I agree that a 17 year old is old enough to watch an 11 year old for a couple of days. The laws may be different in each state. So if you just want to get the mom on a technicality, you'll need to check the law in Washington. In California, I think it's 18, like the OP said, but kids are not considered "infants"! Someone would probably have to show that the 11 year old was harmed or neglected for the state to intervene. This is just an educated guess.
    meagank Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Aug 17, 2008, 01:33 PM
    I live in Washington state and I know for a fact there is no age limit to leave your children home they say its up to the descration of the parent and the ability of the child the maturety of the child so if this 17 year old is mature enough to take care of this 11 year old then they will do nothing about it and I think at 17 it would be OK sounds like he would be old enough I know my parents would leave us at home by ourselves for 4 or 5 days at a time when growing up when we would not want to go camping or out of town trips with them I also have a 17 year old and I let him go out of town and out of state with his friends on trips all the time with no problems and I would also trust him to stay home alone if I was go and he didn't want to
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by meagank
    i live in washington state and i know for a fact there is no age limit to leave your children home they say its up to the descration of the parent and the ability of the child the maturety of the child so if this 17 year old is mature enough to take care of this 11 year old then they will do nothing about it and i think at 17 it would be ok sounds like he would be old enough i know my parents would leave us at home by our selfs for 4 or 5 days at a time when growing up when we would not want to go camping or out of town trips with them i also have a 17 year old and i let him go out of town and out of state with his friends on trips all the time with no problems and i would also trust him to stay home alone if i was go and he didnt want to

The recommendation of the State of Washington is that children under the age of 10 not be left alone - if they are and it's reported, the Police can step in and evaluate all parties. It is not just at the discretion of the parents.
    CindyM54 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2012, 08:17 PM
    My ex daughter in law is looking at leaving the 15 yr home alone overnight to watch over younger 3 siblings while she works. I have a real uncomfortable feeling about this. I know the 15 yr old is responsible but even still don't like the idea. Daughter in law and I don't see eye to eye on this issue. Not sure what to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2012, 08:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyM54 View Post
    My ex daughter in law is looking at leaving the 15 yr home alone overnight to watch over younger 3 siblings while she works. I have a real uncomfortable feeling about this. I know the 15 yr old is responsible but even still don't like the idea. Daughter in law and I don't see eye to eye on this issue. Not sure what to do.

There is nothing you can do except talk to the ex-husband (your son) and if you think the children are in danger, call CPS.

Why are you uncomfortable with the situation?

(Another solution would be for you or your son to pay a babysitter to watch all of the children while she works. OR he could increase his support payment so she doesn't have to work OR one of you could volunteer to stay overight and watch the children.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can father prevent child from leaving state if he has no legal custody? [ 4 Answers ]

My wife and I live in Oregon and want to take a trip to PA for a wedding and want to take my stepson also. My wife has sole custody of him but the father is telling her that she cannot take him without his permission and that the answer is no. She will not go without her son. Can he legally do this...

Divorce and leaving state with children [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Massachusetts and have one child. I am divorced and have physical custody, we share legal. I have an opportunity to run a business in California and wish to go. What are my chances of getting a court to say it's OK? My ex is a control freak and would never let me go. What steps can I...

Legal age of leaving multiple kids alone over night [ 10 Answers ]

I am trying to find out what age is legal for a child to be alone with 2 younger siblings in ontario,I understand for a lone child its guaged on maturity but what about other kids with the child,can they be left alone eveynight over night 5 nights a week? thank you for your help

Legal Limit of Children [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the legal limit of kids you can keep in your house without having an actual day care license. The children I am planning to keep are very close friends, but I am thinking about advertising a little bit more, so I was just curious? Can anyone help me?? :rolleyes:

Legal age to leave child overnight? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the legal age a mature child can be left alone if his fathers adult cousin lives across the street and his mother lives at the end of the block in Forestville Calif?:rolleyes:

View more questions Search